Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What course next?
Jac
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:15 PM

I am new to this industry, and I only have my STCW '95 and my powerboat level 2. I am currently on my first real job on a 40+ M/Y and wondered what courses I should look into doing next. My current job is only a 6 month contract, so would like to make myself more appealing to others when it comes to hitting the docks again. Any advice would be great, thanks peeps
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:12 PM
too general. What do you want to do? Engineering? Be Chief Stew? Deck? Chef? Without knowing what course you want to take, cant give you much advice.
Jac
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:13 PM

yeah sorry i should of clarified, i want to work as deckhand, and then progress upwards from there to eventually hopefully becoming a captain one day.
John Doe
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 4:28 AM

Yachtmaster Ocean.
Linda @ Aigua Sea School
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:07 AM

Hi Jac. First of all, welcome to the industry. Dont say 'only' have STCW and Powerboat level II. These are the essential courses so you have what you need right now. The only course I would perhaps add to that is the VHF/DSC marine radio Short Range Certificate. This allows you to use a marine radio (tender to mother ship etc) and makes you an incredibly useful crew member if the worst happens and you need to 'push the red button'. Have you commercially endorsed your PBII? It is worth doing for a small fee to the RYA. You need to present your STCW certs and your MCA medical (ENG1?). If you contact me through the school email I can send you the application form. It's easy. To follow your career path up to deck, mate and captain you should follow the RYA/MCA path towards Yachtmaster Offshore and eventually Yachtmaster OCEAN. Day Skipper is first: five days of navigation theory followed by a four day practical course. If you have no experience of handling a motor yacht, there is a two day Helmsman Course. To be honest, most people skip the HC. My advise to you right now is enjoy your first contract and PAY ATTENTION! Everything that goes on is important, every problem, every challenge, every new harbour. Keep your eyes out. Buy a book like Reeds Skipper Book (buy it through Amazon) and read it. Dip into it every now and again to start building your knowledge. When you finish this contract, invest in the Day Skipper training. Great on your CV and shows an employer that you are dedicated to the industry. You can contact me through my school in Palma; find Aigua Sea School online and through Facebook. If you are Palma based, you should try to attend my free theory workshops, run once a month. Good luck.
zacharyn
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 10:06 PM

Hi Jac, I think to make an informed decision we need to know your nationality. If you are American then following the USCG licensing route would be a good option. Otherwise the MCA makes the most sense and a Yachtmaster would be the next logical progression. Good luck, Zach

Average 0 out of 5