Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
When to go to Palma (newbie)
Hannahuk
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:52 AM

Good afternoon/ evening/ morning! (where ever you are in the world!) I am 25 and after working many years in the silver service industry on land I thought I might give it a go out at sea!! I hope to start my new career in the yachting industry next year. I have done my STCW course and everything I need to do in preperation, all I need now is a date to leave! When in 2012 (Med season) is the best time to go to Palma to 'dock walk' and find myself a starting job as a Stewardess? Any replies would be most grateful (esp any other tips you may have for a newbie) Thank you x
chiko_roll
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:12 AM

im wondering the same thing. wanna get into the industry around febuary or so.
Smee Pete
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:22 AM

Different vessels have different programs with some owners starting there season earlier than others. Vessels will usually start the Med' season when the winter dockage contracts are finished which are at the end of March each year. That would be the time when the vessels lying in a marina berth go onto seasonal rates.The season starts to ramp up around April so February, would be a good starting point. Good Luck !
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:06 AM
Some real advice i have come to realize, don't even get into yachting, i just took a look at my life and i have wasted it away in yachting, i think people that stay in yachting are cowards in life, running away from life. I can't believe the things i gave up for yachting: the love of my life, family, true friends, a normal life, relaxing, sleep, actually enjoying life, reading a book at your own pace> Yachting changes people for the worst, the hustle and bustle of yachting makes you forget your morals just for keeping a job to earn some money. Its good money, ever wonder why the money is good, because you give up your life to make the lives of the rich easy, so easy that they need to ask to be handed something that right in front of them........ they have no idea what we do, they don't care, why should they when there is 100 people just jumping to throw themselves at their feet for money, you will ALWAYS be replaceable. This life is no good, do something you always wanted to do, be spontaneous and just do anything else. Wise people learn from their mistakes like i just have but even wiser people learn from others mistakes. My opinion is don't get into yachting, it wastes away your soul and you will loose yourself, Like i said it is my opinion and many many people will hate upon this reccomendation but so be it, those who hate are dazed and so caught up in it, i pity them. Make the right decision

garciayounes
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:22 AM

to the previous post . Your message is incomplete and not really refflect to the situation. You have been given a job , with good money , and great experience , and now you spit on it, not really fair, we all have family , friends and hobbies, but working in the hospitality isnt easy and thats anywhere, you will find difficulties also in the land jobs also , because guess what , you also replaceable in land jobs. Try now to explain to your friends you waisted your time by working in the yachts industry and you ll see their reaction.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:45 AM
Unemployment is 25% in Palma at the moment .... so the local people are starting to look for jobs afloat. Sadly, most smaller yachts less than 40m in length have dismissed all the junior crew, and the really small boats between 18 and 25m have no crew at all!! There have been reports of Captains with Yachts<3000 GT certificates now taking jobs as Bosuns to feed their families. Antibes would be a better bet, as there are som many boats up there! Save your money, look elsewhere......
Captain Andy
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:50 AM

In addition to high unemployment, the matriculation tax has decimated the superyacht industry with only a fraction of the boats either staying or looking for crew. This tax is still enforced by the Government, although it has been declared illegal by the Central EU Government. We wait for further developments!!
junior
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:10 AM

Antibes ? Ive been talking to young French guys ,cruising the dock in Spain , desperately looking for any job. Seemed like a nice guys, well spoken, commercial licensed...Need one ? The situation is the same everywhere. Its the New World Order. A German captain just showed up to run the 30 meter next door...2000 euro per month, plus a summer bonus. He's depressed. Certainly, come summer, the yachting world will fire up once again but just like this year the season will be compressed. Plan your moves carefully , then patiently stand in line behind the local crew.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:13 PM
The lines are very long in Palma ...... 320 Captains applied for a 22m local based M/Y!! Nuff said ....
Capt Edward P
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 12:15 PM

I agree with the comments on Matriculation tax and have openly advocated people to vote with their feet like they did in the early 2000s when Greece hiked up marina rates. Result = no one visiting Greek marinas. The OP doesn't say what languages she speaks, so it might be that Spanish is an only option. Antibes is very very busy with lots of competition and crew houses, hostels, FUAJ etc all crammed with people looking for work, and a fixed daily rate. It is a sad fact that with the population growing as it is, that demand for jobs will only increase and there is only a finite space in most marina ( especially Antibes which is actually a very small Superyacht marina ) - there are many more smaller boats all over the marina - just go in there by boat and see the difference. The last time I went into Antibes was 2010. ANONYMOUS seems to think he has wasted his/her life in yachting, that is his/hers own opinion and I know for one that I would not do anything else - there is no doubt that if you are in ANY dead end job you can come to resent it, nothing especially different about yachting. It's a shame that ANONYMOUS doesn't dwell on the better times that he/she had. How'ever I note from ANONYMOUS grammar that English is not the main language of choice and it could be that he/she has not been able to meet up with nicer English speaking crew and have a good time. Yours 'aye Cap'n Ed
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 2:40 PM
I work on a yacht based in Palma and lets just say there are more people than jobs. I'd think long and hard before I relocate to Palma or anywhere for that matter and start looking for a job because sitting in one spot will limit your opportunities, you'd be better of covering ground and visiting as many yachting HQ's and always be the fresh face looking for work and not the same dude walking the dock looking for a jobs that somebody else got yesterday . The neat and tidy organized looking people find jobs and the scruffy and looking that cycle through the marina's and shipyards tend to linger and slowly disappear when the boats head off for the summer.
Hannahuk
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011 3:30 PM

Apologies for the late reply!! Thank you for all of your replies, although many are slightly disheartening. Despite the negative spin on most messages, there is some good advice which I am going to take on board! They say those who believe will succeed! So I'm going to go out with a possitive attitude after done my research, a smile and hope for the best! I have booked my flight for mid April to Palma, have a handful of contacts (which I understand networking is the key!) and I've saved some pennies...let's hope I stand out from the 1,000s who share the same dream! Wish me luck!! xx
garciayounes
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 8:28 AM

Absolutely right mate, i ll in Palma, or Barcelona in april , first time too, things goes well with people with right attitude.
s-holman
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:23 PM

I'm heading that side in March 2012, hoping for a better year than 2009!
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:29 AM
Seriously if you want a good advice, go do your certs and if you have strong experience in silver-service apply for job on cruisers (several companies that are operating in crew ships sector are always looking for stuff), you will avoid dock walking, hassling with money, and place to stay travel costs, etc.. furthermore you will receive travel tickets, and contract posted to your doors, and what most important you will now after if you like it or not ( as it was mentioned being a seamen is not for every one), yachting is specific everyone have to remember that is not a Rockefeller kind of life but hard work. In my opinion start elsewhere get experience and come back, it would meet appreciation of captains of good yachts and crewing agencies, rather then another one of hundreds fresh crew that can offer nothing. Good luck
garciayounes
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 12:09 PM

to the previous post. So former cruise line crew can get job easier?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 5:22 PM
Considering good yachts - yes it will be appreciated. Some small yacht captains will tell you that that wasn't important experience but being service stewardess, purser, head of department after w while will be consider as a strong experience,and as I've mentioned before you will avoid cost of travel and accommodation at the beginning of looking for a job. Royal Caribbean or star clippers would be a good choice. You can get job easy because there are thousands of people changing each month in that industrie (contract structure usually 6 months on board and time off whatever you want till next one) and after all you will hold a good experience definitely better then newbie and money for further search.
garciayounes
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 5:26 PM

i guess thats good news for me , i am going now for what will be my 5 th contract on the ship. in april i ll move to the yachts . i really want to do this. can t wait.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:24 PM
To give you all an accurate picture of the job situation in Palma at the moment, a Captain on a 30m M/Y has just taken a job for 2000 euros a month ..... day workers are getting paid around 10 euros per hour: if they can find work. Today we had over 20 people looking for day work at our boat. Bad situation here........
Hannahuk
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 11:51 AM

Thanks for the overview Anon. Do you think that's because it's not Med season and most boats are in the Caribbean?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 1:08 PM
Sadly, Hanna I don't!! I've been living here for 12 years now as yacht crew, and this is the worst winter I have seen! People are having to use all sorts of contacts to get work: so if you are arriving and do not have contacts then the chances of geting work are ZERO. Sorry to be painting a black picture, but would rather you get the truth instead of listening to people speculating about what is happening here. I know of two yachts in Marinas that are around 35 to 40m and have a winter crew of just three: Captain, Engineer and one other. One boat has even got the Chef spray painting the superstructure ....... what more can I say!!!!
Hannahuk
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 2:16 PM

I appreciate your honesty. Well fortunately, I have contacts and hope to have some more before I get there (networking queen!). 12 years is long time, I hope despite others having unfortunate luck in the industry you are doing well for yourself. I know that it's a tough world to get a job in any industry (esp. here in the UK!) - Best of luck and thanks again.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 7:18 PM
Where in gods name do you stay if you get 20 people coming to your boat asking for daywork? I'm in CDM in Palma right now and I haven't seen dockwalkers for days now, completely quiet without any competition for those who are trying right now. I've got several emails from captains last two weeks asking if I am available for daywork or know someone who are so I can't really say I share these views of the current situation in Palma. There are several boats in Palma as we speak looking for both deckies and stews so I don't really see the problem.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:43 AM
Hi, good on you! what an exciting time ahead of you filled with travel, adventure, money and people. I was in the superyacht industry for 11 years and loved it and now on land dream about it everyday. Check out this website www.superyachtcuisine.com because you may want to join up with a few crew agencies first where you can land a job before you arrive. Sometimes they will pay for your fliet in. This website has a few crew agencies on it. Good Luck and you are making the best decision of your life.
MarineDex
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:29 PM

I wish you all the best however personally I never had much success in Palma nor in Antibes always found it easier to find work when boats are in the shipyards along the coast from Genova to La Ciotat. Of course everyone has their own ways and depends on the position and career path you are looking to follow. The truth of the matter it is all who you know not what you know ! But you still need creditability through training and experience; so get your CV dusted off, get your courses sorted out and some nice business cards made. I've been working on a website for a little while and comprised a few pages on the basic courses you should do as well as some tips on finding work in the superyacht guide so have a look it might be help. The rest of the website is a directory of businesses including crew training centres, crew houses and yacht suppliers. The website isn't completely finish as of yet but has been a great hobby for the past few years keeping me out of the pub while attempting to give back to the industry and I'll continue to add to it when I can.

Do let me know if you get stuck or need some further advice and I'll be more than happy to help.

www.marinedex.com

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:19 AM
Stick your details on the 'crew available' section on this website. Good Luck!

Average 0 out of 5