Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
I have not forgotten....OWS.
Havenotforgotten
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:29 PM

I've been in NYC and participated in OWS rallies every few days. For my fellow American yachties, for what it's worth to any of you, I vow to make additional posters that conveys the ongoing issue of illegal gainful employment in the yachting industry in South FL and discrimination against Americans from foreign nationals in our own back yard. Pretty sad that this "plight" has to be dealt with every single season. I wish every decent, hard working American the best in this industry.
John Doe
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:47 AM

I'll tell you what is really sad, but it is against forum guidelines. I trust you will never work on a F.F. vessel outside of US waters then fellow "yachtie". It is an international arena in which one show happens to play temporarily on your stage. To truly consider yourself a player in this game you must accept all this industry is. It is Global. Why discriminate, and chase opportunity and money away to another stage. We call that shooting ourselves in the foot. Our vessel has a history of doing maintenance in the US every fall after crossing, before the Caribbean season. This year, my friend, we got our work done in Europe and bypassed the US altogether. So, there go a few more chances for you to become gainfully employed. Good luck with your crusade. PS. Did you really have to create a new Avatar ? Why not post under your past identity. This is obviously not your first post in Dockwalk.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:08 AM
It seems there are some us citizens who can't handle fair competition on an international stage, which makes it understandable why no-one is keen to hire them on any non-us flagged boats. It is not about who is the best for the job and who makes the most effort to obtain a job, but who has the right passport. This metality is very similar to goverment mentality in third world african coutries. Just sad...
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:32 PM

John Doe wrote:
I'll tell you what is really sad, but it is against forum guidelines. I trust you will never work on a F.F. vessel outside of US waters then fellow "yachtie". It is an international arena in which one show happens to play temporarily on your stage. To truly consider yourself a player in this game you must accept all this industry is. It is Global. Why discriminate, and chase opportunity and money away to another stage. We call that shooting ourselves in the foot. Our vessel has a history of doing maintenance in the US every fall after crossing, before the Caribbean season. This year, my friend, we got our work done in Europe and bypassed the US altogether. So, there go a few more chances for you to become gainfully employed. Good luck with your crusade. PS. Did you really have to create a new Avatar ? Why not post under your past identity. This is obviously not your first post in Dockwalk.

Well, that's all quite true, however, Americans are discriminated against on any stage the yachting game is played; is it so inconceivable that Americans would like the same "home court" advantages that everyone else seeks? Times are tough, immigration always becomes an issue when unemployment numbers rise. It's not really shooting ourselves in the foot at this point. All that's left here now is the vampire end of the industry.

BTW, why not post under your real identity if you're calling Deb out?

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:28 PM
You're calling it fair competition? Really? Illegal gainful employment in America, in South Florida is fair competition? And if any of us complain about it, we're to be classified as the "unemployable"? Keep putting your head in the sand while trying to validate your trumped up position in the industry...things are going to change for Americans SOON.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 2:26 AM
They certainly are, as your country goes bankrupt there will be even less yachts around, especially those American owned and operated.
Henning
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 6:39 AM

Anonymous wrote:
They certainly are, as your country goes bankrupt there will be even less yachts around, especially those American owned and operated.

Unless you're from China your economy is crashing faster than ours....

sean
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:10 PM

Get over yourself kids....I'm a U.S. citizen who's spend half his career on non u.s. boats, and it's because I'm damn good at my job. So all this talk of red flag boats not having u.s. citizens, better shut-it....I've seen far more useless South Africans talking trash in ft. Lauderdale while in crew houses and leeching land based jobs...I've hired all nationalities and with the few exceptions been happy with all my colleagues in this industry. The U.S. is half of the yachting industry if you take a step back and look at ....crew, builders, contractors, suppliers, technologies and experience. Protecting the jobs on these shores is something that any other country would do if there was a massive influx of outsiders coming in trying to the same on their ground.
sean
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:49 PM

B.T.W.....Anonymous, if your gonna stand so strong on your words, show some brass and post under your real profile
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:45 AM
The following was posted, (including spelling errors), by " thebo101@gmail.com", on the Neptune Group's website.

"50m looking for 3 dayworkers to help out during 3-4 month yard period ship arraives in Yard Wednesday night Thursday Morning, could lead to permenant position for two candidates provided you have 200t offshore or higher, must have two seasons experience and yard experience, hard workers only must have transportation to get to Broward yard at Dania cut no Americans due to insurance
policy"

I would like to see exactly what their hull insurance policy, (and the facility's insurance policy), each state about "day workers". Are day workers (from anywhere) really filing law suits? Are insurance companies really this dumb? Maybe.

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:13 AM

Anonymous wrote:
The following was posted, (including spelling errors), by " thebo101@gmail.com", on the Neptune Group's website.

"50m looking for 3 dayworkers to help out during 3-4 month yard period ship arraives in Yard Wednesday night Thursday Morning, could lead to permenant position for two candidates provided you have 200t offshore or higher, must have two seasons experience and yard experience, hard workers only must have transportation to get to Broward yard at Dania cut no Americans due to insurance
policy"

I would like to see exactly what their hull insurance policy, (and the facility's insurance policy), each state about "day workers". Are day workers (from anywhere) really filing law suits? Are insurance companies really this dumb? Maybe.

That ad reads like a CBP/ICE sting operation, closest yard to their office as well. That ad publicly advertises for several felonies to be committed with regards to US law....

ReportIllegals.com
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:38 PM

Havenotforgotten, please convince others at OWS that illegal immigration is damaging job opportunities for Americans, especially minorities. You are right on.
ReportIllegals.com
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:52 PM

Havenotforgotten, Anonymous, Henning and others please note that ad #6427 by thebo101@gmail.com stating "no Americans" need apply at http://daywork123.com/JobAnnouncementList.aspx has been removed by The Neptune Group at the request of www.ReportIllegals.com. US citizens should not tolerate "Americans Need Not Apply" ads in our own country!!! Ilegal hiring is not "competition" it is STEALING! If anyone ever witnesses another "Americans Need Not Apply" ads in S. Florida or elsewhere report the incident at www.reportillegals.com. As an avid boater and operator of www.reportillegls.com I will take aggresive action. Also, join Floridians for Immigration Enforcement at www.flimen.org. Dave, www.ReportIllegals.com
Flyr89
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:21 PM

STEALING? you cant still a job from someone if they never even had it...why don't you run a website to promote american crew to learn a second language or to travel and learn about other cultures. Hip hip America is the Best (yea that's the whole Continent not just the US of A)
sean
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:04 AM

if I'm in Italy, I don't expect to hire American day workers...I expect to hire Italians...locals. As an Anerican vessel we would be guests there and we would be respecting their laws. No less should be expected in the states and any other country. Every ethnicity in yachting has a home soil hub for yachts...theirs no need to travel to another country on a visitors visa and illegally be poaching jobs...same to the yachts involved. I think...no...I know after 15 years in this industry that if the roles were reversed, any other soil would want the same protection for their countries working population

Average 0 out of 5