Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
ShineYachts painting system
markjensen
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:51 AM

Has anyone used ShineYachts product, the polymer and nanotechnology protective coating before. If so, what are your thoughts on the product. Is it any good. Please advise...
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:34 PM

markjensen wrote:
Has anyone used ShineYachts product, the polymer and nanotechnology protective coating before. If so, what are your thoughts on the product. Is it any good. Please advise...

Haven't used that product. My findings on the subject. If it claims a miracle, it is a lie. If it "dull lifeless paint to new with no effort" it is a lie.

What I have found over many years of doing this stuff is that friction polishes, nothing else. Everything you use is all about modifying the friction. Most all the "miracle polymers" are just a modified solvent with some solids to slow the evaporation and increase the surface tension. When you wipe it on it fills in the pores in the paint caused by oxidation, the surface tension levels it out like glass and you have a rich shiny surface again. Problem is that in 2 weeks time all of the solvent has evaporated and the polymer bonds disappeared and the paint looks just as crappy as before.

In 35 years of caring for finishes on cars boats and airplanes, for actually sealing and protecting paint and polished metal surfaces, I have not found a better, shinier, longer lasting or easier to use product than Collenite 845 Insulator Wax. Easy on, easy off and a beautiful result on surfaces including bare wood. I've put beautiful shiny easy to maintain finishes on bare wood by working the surface with 845 and bronze wool.

Capt.AdG
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 5:17 PM

Hi Mark, there are many Polymer and Nano tecnology products on the market. I am old fashion like Henning but in this case .... I applied Shine Yachts in Palma on a 38m sailing vessel and have to say that the result was very good. It is a polish and it's applied like a polish ... with friction. Off course it's not for life time and it's not a miracle and you will have to refresh it every year. Makes maintenance easier if you follow the instructions!
Freedom Yacht Management
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 9:19 PM

I-shine is the best paint polishing system I've found. We've polished and refinished 100's of boats over the last 12 years. It's most effective for painted finishes and it's attributes can be paid to it's nano-scale composite. A nano is 1 billionth of a meter so cutting/compound agents have been refined to an unbelievable small scale which in turn finishes down holes or pores before sealing them with an ultra strong topcoat. It's a timely and delicate process but the best. Made in Germany. Give me ring if you'd like a qoute to treat your vessel. 954-732-8916 Regards-Josh
Andrew Blatter
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:25 AM

As the Publisher of the 'Superyacht Services Guides'... I can confirm that I received a very positive quote for them, from a prime yacht Captain, saying: "Shine Yachts do full hull polishing / protection - really good service - fair price. 7 people on the job, really knocked it off fast !"
captainjoei
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2011 11:39 PM

Yes we used it and love it! Nate was very kind to keep coming back as we needed more sections done...He even left us some producyt and let one of our Crew help with the small areas to save money...Highly professional and kind  
Brett
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2011 11:59 PM

I have used Nate too. I am extremely satisfied.I Have just done the annual Shine Yachts maintenance.
Capt-tod
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:48 AM

My name is Tod Richards and I am a captain in Annapolis MD. My owner got wind of this new treatment system claiming to be a polymer nanotechnology treatment system new to the market from a friend in Newport called iShine. We baught a bunch early this past spring to try on our gel coat from a Shineyachts rep in Florida. The mate and myself have plenty of polishing experience with a machine and used the medium compound followed by the #4 polymer then the #5 "nanotechnology" top coat. Spent an arm and a leg on this stuff and it lasted maybe 2 months. Bottom line... The rep was a really helful guy and seamed like he new his stuff but I wouldn't buy it again. I've used a product called Permanon for a few years on my other boats both paint and gel coat and really like it. I asked the Permanon rep up here about iShine... he as done his homework and insists the "polymer sealant" is actually a silicone based product despite what their web sight claims, not for nothin but that pissed me off!. I would stay clear but that's up to you... Hope this helps
mike68
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 12:54 PM

this is my 4th session with shineyachts  , after application looks our gel coat like new and its extremly easy to clean. for me its the best polymere/nano product on the market.

Average 0 out of 5