Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Anybody know if this a decent STCW95 course?
chiko_roll
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:38 PM

It seems to be good and legit and also very cheap... http://sailinasiatraining.com/STCW95.htm seems to be recognised by all the right people. although it is not recognised by AMSA the australian authority. just wondering if anybody can see any problems that i might not see. also is that a major problem that it is nt recognised by AMSA and any idea exactly what that would ean for me? I am australian after all. thanks
junior
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:02 PM

From http://www.stcw.org/...................''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Q. Why doesn't one size fit all with STCW? A. When STCW was revised in 1995 we all expected that the new standard would harmonize the training requirements and therefore allow mariners to complete their training in various parts of the world based on where they desired to go to school or based on where the vessel is based. Unfortunately, things just haven't worked out that way with many countries. This is especially difficult for mariners with multiple licenses issued by various administrations and for those who are certificated by one country and work on a vessel flagged in another country. The reason for this problem is that in order to be considered a "white list" or fully compliant country, the IMO requires each administration to guarantee that proper oversight has been and is continuously performed on each school issuing training certificates. It is impossible for the USCG to oversee schools in foreign countries and vice versa. That is why some schools in this country have applied to many different countries for recognition. This is a very costly process because it requires auditing by each country on a regular basis. In addition, some countries are not interested in approving schools outside their jurisdiction. This is why it is so important to ensure that the school a mariner attends for training is recognized by the country issuing the license and also that the Flag State of the vessel will accept a license/C of C issued by that country.
junior
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:09 PM

Something to consider. For some crew their STCW95 certificate is just a piece of paper, for others it is the foundation for their professional career as a seaman. Be carefull with non approved or yachtsman " sea schools" . When in doubt choose your national sea training schools ,no matter what the cost
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:37 PM
The STCW basic safety training must be the most important training there is as it takes someone with no knowledge at all to where they are supposed to be a safe crew member on a ship or yacht.  The training can only be certified by a flag state who is signatory to the STCW convention.  The flag state requires a training facility to have an approved Quality Assurance system in place and an approved premises and trainers.  So find out which flag state is issuing the certificate and then confirm with them if the facility is approved.  If it is not do not touch it.  There are a number of schools handing out Marshall Islands certificates through IYT, one facility in Turkey was doing their firefighting by setting fire to a cardboard box and putting it out with a fire extinguisher.  You can also check with the USCG or Coastguard if they recognise the STCW certificate you are considering.  Be aware that some of those STCW 95 basic training certificates issued in the US for a 3 day course are not accepted elsewhere around the world.  By the way it aint cheap try South Africa and its a whole heap cheaper.

sencho
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:31 PM

Anonymous is right.... You really need to check which FLAG STATE has directly approved that teaching facility to issue a STCW 95 certification to you... ... .... This is how I read the rules: Let's say Yacht School "A" in England is a FLAG STATE approved training facility.... Then Yacht School "A" opens a branch in the South of France... The branch facility will need separate direct approval from a FLAG STATE to certify and issue STCW 95. Beware of schools trying to affiliate themselves with other schools and organisations to issue certificates, it is an illegal practice and could possibly (as far as I see it) invalidate your "certification" in the future.
Mike French
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:26 PM

Anonymous

For the record, the IYT you mention which franchises STCW 95 is not IYT Fort Lauderdale.  IYT Fort Lauderdale is fully approved by several flag states including USCG, MCA and Marshall Islands directly to deliver STCW95 basic safety training.  As a matter of fact, IYT Ft Lauderdale is the only training facility outside Europe or South Africa, approved in its own right, to deliver all of the MCA's Yacht training courses. 

garciayounes
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:46 PM

I have booked my icc courses in Durban ( pyt) apparently they are good.
Henning
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 4:00 PM

junior wrote:
Something to consider. For some crew their STCW95 certificate is just a piece of paper, for others it is the foundation for their professional career as a seaman. Be carefull with non approved or yachtsman " sea schools" . When in doubt choose your national sea training schools ,no matter what the cost

I'm supposed to go to King's Point for STCW? Plenty of Community Colleges in maritime communities offer perfectly acceptable STCW courses for a couple of hundred dollars and the STCW certificate the USCG gives me does not indicate where I got my certificates of completion from. It cost me $175 to do BST, BRM and GMDSS. Out of state people paid twice that.

junior
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 4:44 PM

Many educational facilities such as community colleges offer marine training. In the past Ive used North West Kent College and found the course work and student body first class. At the time class cost was competitive with yachty schools.............................................. http://www.nwkcollege.ac.uk/courses.php?school_id=61
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 4:55 PM
I recently attended a 2 weeks course @ Flying Fish in the Isle of Wight, UK. Here you can get anything from your STCW 95, Superyacvht Training, Competent Deck Crew training to Yachtmaster. Everything from start to finish was perfect, the accommodation is conveniently located in the same area as classes so everything is made simple. really good trainers with years experience in the industry and RYA / MCA certification on all their courses. would recommend this to anyone thinking of beginning a career in this industry. not only is it worth it for all your certs but the experience and friends / contacts you make = PRICELESS

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 5:27 PM
To the young Aussie who asked the question about AMSA. It won't really affect you if you are planning a career in Yachting, unless you get a freak job on an Aussie boat in Aus. AMSA STCW95 courses are recognised by the MCA (which will be the only recognition you will need - USCG is only for American citizens), however, AMSA STCW95 Advanced courses are not. I had to do all my Advanced STCW95 courses again, as I had done them originally under AMSA when I was a Merchant Engineer in Australia. Some great points have been raised in this discussion, especially the point of taking this course seriously. Your safety and the safety of everyone you sail with depends on a diligent attitude in this manner. One thing to be aware of though. There are many schools who are credited to run these courses, but that does not mean you will get quality training and experience from them. There is one school in the South of France, who claim to be the biggest and oldest and presume themselves to therefore be the best, which I would strongly recommend avoiding at all costs. They cram 18-20 people into a course and many don't even get to don a life jacket or even get to use a fire extinguisher. These experiences are Critical. Just be very aware. You want to not only get a fair price, but get what you paid for also.
Capt Edward P
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 7:35 PM

Back in 2002 at Refit, and up to 2005 I remember in the bars and internet cafés in Antibes, there were eerily cheap prices on adverts for STCW courses, if I remember they were USD 1300 when everyone else was charging USD 1700. I then heard that there were quality issues on the training and I know that a major Yachting reporting magazine did an article on these courses. However, it seems to have died a death until now. Whilst I haven't vouched for the training on the cheaper courses I would doubt the language abilities in Asia, we know pidgeon English is difficult to understand. I can just imagine someone shouting at me "You put fire, you put fire" in Thailand, expecting me to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher. Except I would probably be indignant as I would think he had accused me of "setting" the fire. The costs of getting to Asia might also outweigh the savings of education there, especially from England, unless you are doing a world tour. Be aware, and remember that if something is sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Yours 'aye Cap'n Ed @hideousfrance.com
rodsteel
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 10:02 PM

Henning wrote:
...Plenty of Community Colleges in maritime communities offer perfectly acceptable STCW courses for a couple of hundred dollars .... It cost me $175 to do BST, BRM and GMDSS. Out of state people paid twice that.

Henning,

Which CC did you use for the GMDSS training (and when?) - the one closest to me wants $1400 for it (7 days of class)

Thanks,

Rod

UKEngineer
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 10:41 PM

As long as the courses you complete are recognised by 'all the right people' you cannot go far wrong, it does not seem that many yachts run their crew selection based on the AMSA system, It maybe that you can complete AMSA courses and have them assessed and be awarded the MCA equivalent, hence getting you into 'the club' with the rest of us.
Andrew
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:47 PM

Hi Chiko,
I did my YM at an IYT facility in Australia. IYT has some strict policies to give schools accreditation; they even delist schools that don't make the grade. They appear to be for real, even appearing as a certified training org on the iyt website: http://iytworld.com/ . If you're passing through Thailand it might be worth it. But remember, there are lots of (good) schools out there too, some not far from where you live. Check out what TAFE offers these days - are they AMSA and STCW courses?

CaptainFrankDonaldson
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:03 PM

The Best and Only one you should Consider is MPT Fort Lauderdale. End of Story. Dont waste your time anywhere else. I hire MPT crew over any other School. M/Y Captain Frank 50m +
chiko_roll
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:32 AM

thanks everybody for your replies. i am going to do it there and i will post back and tell you how it went. the training itself seems to be conducted by an english bloke so i dont think there will be a language barrier to the person who mentioned that. also the reason i am doing it there rather than australia is because its easier for me as im going there anyway. they dont actually offer stcw courses in my state in australia which is a bit silly in itself i reckon.
sencho
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 9:10 PM

Andrew,

The question is though, is the school in Thailand accredited by a Flag State to award STCW certifications?

I do not believe it is.

IYT is not a flag state, it is a company that franchises courses to be run at schools around the world... Even if IYT is accredited itself by a flag state, it does not have the authority to further accredit any of the training facilities running it's courses; each one of those must be done separately by a flag state.

The facility in Thailand (if it is indeed not directly authorized by a flag state) is  therefore not allowed to issue STCW 95 certifications.

Chiko - do your research before you pay for a cheap certification which is not worth the paper it is printed on.

(NOTE:- As previously mentioned, the IYT concerned is the franchising company, not the IYT school in Florida.)

Henning
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:00 AM

rodsteel wrote:
Henning wrote:
...Plenty of Community Colleges in maritime communities offer perfectly acceptable STCW courses for a couple of hundred dollars .... It cost me $175 to do BST, BRM and GMDSS. Out of state people paid twice that.

Henning,

Which CC did you use for the GMDSS training (and when?) - the one closest to me wants $1400 for it (7 days of class)

Thanks,

Rod

Everything but GMDSS was done at Young Memorial and the GMDSS lab was at LAMPI. It was a while back (10 years ago when it first started being a requirement) but the schools are still industry supported and very low cost. If you had a LA address it was all half price of out of state.

Anybody considering commercial diving should (after having their head examined) check out Young Memorial. Their course was $2000, the private schools were $12,000.

Henning
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:06 AM

UKEngineer wrote:
As long as the courses you complete are recognised by 'all the right people' you cannot go far wrong, it does not seem that many yachts run their crew selection based on the AMSA system, It maybe that you can complete AMSA courses and have them assessed and be awarded the MCA equivalent, hence getting you into 'the club' with the rest of us.

Boy did you open a can of worms.... AMSA started a pi$$ing match with MCA over reciprocal agreements years ago and MCA has been telling Aussies to pi$$ of with their AMSA rating and go to school and buy their rating. That's really what it boils down to. Not the education, not the qualifications (AMSA experience requirements are much higher, but the experience comes through a "she be right" culture)... this is just a pi$$ing match.

Henning
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:14 AM

CaptainFrankDonaldson wrote:
The Best and Only one you should Consider is MPT Fort Lauderdale. End of Story. Dont waste your time anywhere else. I hire MPT crew over any other School. M/Y Captain Frank 50m +

Wow, you consider where one does the week long class of next to nothing a selection criteria for crew? I can see where the depth of knowledge of PSSR could make a difference in future ability. When my GF at the time went through it there and I asked here what they did in water survival, they did not do a couple thing you're supposed yo do, the main one they left out which I thought was a critical (and required) piece of training was the 15 minute no PFD float using only the clothes you are wearing.

rodsteel
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:05 PM

Henning wrote:

...Everything but GMDSS was done at Young Memorial ... If you had a LA address it was all half price of out of state.

Thanks Henning,

LTC is still good value (especially if you live close).

Regards,

Rod

chiko_roll
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 1:15 PM

ok now im confused. i just thought i had it all sorted out lol... i checked with mca and uscg and although there websites are both full of sh*t from what i can decipher IYT is accredited by both. BUT now your talking about flag states. im not entirely sure what you mean when you say "Even if IYT is accredited itself by a flag state, it does not have the authority to further accredit any of the training facilities running it's courses". i would have imagined that if these bodies accredit IYT then they are well aware there a franchise and it would encompass all certifications gained through IYT schools wherever they may be? so i dont know what you mean by flag state exactly is what im saying. they mention this on there website: "Organization (IMO) and has the force of law in all the 154 signatory countries. The convention gives the minimum standards of qualifications required by all crew members at various levels depending upon vessel size. All crew involved in any safety or muster must complete the STCW95 course. Asia Yacht Crew with Sail in Asia Co Ltd have set up training courses in the main part for Yachts men and women, with an emphasis on delivering quality courses that are fun to participate in and which are taught at a fabulous location at Ao Yon on Phuket Island. Our sea school is located right on the beach at Ao Yon and our practical classes are conducted, as near to the sea as is possible. Sea Survival exercises are practiced on yachts, First Aid at sea at the local hospital and our Fire Fighting at the Phuket fire station. The instructors we have are all fluent English speakers and are top quality instructors with a wealth of marine experience that is evident in the classroom. All students leave with an STCW95 handbook and the STCW 95 certification is USCG anmd MCA approved. You leave us with quality certification that is globally recognised.(STCW95 training is required for all Superyacht crew working on commercial vessels 24 metres and over)" also what seems to be the number one yacht crew agency in phuket (perhaps thailand) endorses them on another website stating: "Organization (IMO) and has the force of law in all the 154 signatory countries. The convention gives the minimum standards of qualifications required by all crew members at various levels depending upon vessel size. All crew involved in any safety or muster must complete the STCW95 course. Asia Yacht Crew with Sail in Asia Co Ltd have set up training courses in the main part for Yachts men and women, with an emphasis on delivering quality courses that are fun to participate in and which are taught at a fabulous location at Ao Yon on Phuket Island. Our sea school is located right on the beach at Ao Yon and our practical classes are conducted, as near to the sea as is possible. Sea Survival exercises are practiced on yachts, First Aid at sea at the local hospital and our Fire Fighting at the Phuket fire station. The instructors we have are all fluent English speakers and are top quality instructors with a wealth of marine experience that is evident in the classroom. All students leave with an STCW95 handbook and the STCW 95 certification is USCG anmd MCA approved. You leave us with quality certification that is globally recognised.(STCW95 training is required for all Superyacht crew working on commercial vessels 24 metres and over)" not trying to proove you wrong or anything like that but just trying to understand all this bullsh*t haha
chiko_roll
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 1:19 PM

apoligies. it seems paragraphing doesn't work in these forums...
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 6:28 PM
Dear Chiko Roll

You've changed your story, now you refer to "...our sea school..." courses etc.  So this whole thread was marketing was it?

For the record please confirm that your STCW95 basic safety training course is approved by the MCA and the USCG as you have stated in an earlier post.  This would mean that they would be auditing you and that you would have a Quality Management System in place that was one of the few, 7 in fact, ICAS (International Association Of Classification Societies) QMS systems recognised by the IMO.  What do you the certificates you issue state with regard to the MCA and the USCG?

chiko_roll
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 11:27 PM

you must have misread which is not really hard to do when you cant insert paragraphs. you must be referring to the 2 quotes from there websites that were inserted above. i have no idea what any of this stuff means but i have emailed the mca to get the info from the horses mouth as going from this ( http://iytworld.com/images/buttons/MCAapprovalBritian.jpg ) i cant see iyt being mca accredited for stcw95... could be wrong though. hence why i am on the forum asking.
chiko_roll
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 12:07 PM

ok i emailed mca and they never wrote back. emailed uscg and they said to check there website which is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. so i just called the mca and they said any iyt stcw course is fine. i guess that settles it.
falcknutec
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:47 AM

We can help with any STCW requirements at Falck Nutec - more than happy to talk. Greig gd@falcknutec.co.uk
toymaker
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:10 PM

Hi Chiko, Any questions you might have on STCW'95 and our global network of member schools, feel free to email us anytime at IYT Worldwide. We would be happy to provide you with any information you require as well as back it up with the pertinent approvals etc. markf@iytworld.com, christ@iytworld.com, wallys@iytworld.com
Chief Eng.
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:12 AM

Check this web site: http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga-mnotice.htm textobjid=A2972962E00EF8DA MERCHANT SHIPPING NOTICE MSN 1802 (M) Annex E Acceptance of overseas and other certificates towards the issue of MCA yacht restricted CoCs STCW basic training The four element STCW basic training certificates: Personal Survival Techniques (STCW A-VI/1-1), or non-STCW RYA Basic Sea Survival Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention (STCW A-VI/1-2) Elementary First Aid (STCW A-VI/1-3) Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (STCW A-VI/1-4) are generally accepted from STCW signatories excepting that where the training takes place over less than five full days of instruction, candidates should check with the MCA whether that training is accepted.

Average 5 out of 5