Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Why US South Africans!?!?!?!?! USVI
Graeme
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 3:59 PM

Briefly... I am South African(obviously) and am on board a sailing yacht in Palma de Mallorca. I have been on just over a year and have been hanging around the med. Our owner has just decided that he would like to be in the Virgin Islands(US) some time in November which gives me NO TIME to go and sort out my visa issues. Can anybody give some advice on what I should do? As this is my first time crossing I am uncertain on what to expect when I arrive. I am asking for help, this is one of many attempts at getting it. So I implore!!!! If you have to much time on your hands and are like some folks that read the forums and state the obvious or be unnecessarily sarcastic, please not do so. THANK YOU again!
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 4:31 PM
Firstly it is NOT because you are South African that you need a B1/B2 Visa, everybody does that is not U.S. or Canadian. Secondly you will not be allowed off the boat in the USVI's (St Thomas) if you do not have a visa. You need to quickly see which Embassy's have the shortest wait, Madrid is usually good. Get the paperwork done and get one, if you don't get a visa you wont be going anyhow so take a day or two off work and sort it out. If the Captain doesn't let you he obviously doesn't want you to come on the trip and usually should do the utmost to help you to get the VISA, arrange flights etc. remember HE/SHE is responsible for you. Good luck
Graeme
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 5:00 PM

You clearly seem like you know what you are talking about so I will ask you this too. As I mentioned, I have worked on board now over a year and have renew my Schengen a couple of times I then got the boat to sort out a seamans discharge book from the marshall islands for me. In saying that, my current Schengen is no longer valid, will this be a hinderance in getting my B1B2 should I go up to Madrid. Might have been a tad nieve on the relying on the seamans book.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 5:24 PM
you should be able to get your B1b2 shall you have all the necissary boat papers, reg, contract etc. Regarding your schengen, if its expired (I assume the valid date has past rather than the meer 90 day limit- s0 many people missunderstand that) get your seamans book signed off and stamped stating you have been aboard from date x to present and at best try apply for a transit visa (5 days) to go apply for your B1B2. Curiously if you have renewed your visa a few times and have used boat papers have you only been given 3month? My 1st schengen is for 1 yr and will be renewing in dec and hoping for a 2 yr schengen (still only 90 days but valid for 24 months - will be aboard so the 90 days are obselete as far as immigration know, then when i go to the airport its still VALID date wise!) Worst case scenario I can imagine is transit visa then fly home RSA get USA visa with papers and the meet up in usvi. Good luck
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 5:38 PM
So, yes a Schengen visa is for Europe right? Not for anywhere else in the world so wont be valid in the USVI's. Look at: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1265.html A seamans book will not be valid for you to travel ashore. You must get a B1 B2 visa. But if your Schengen has run out then don't go to Madrid as they will arrest you, a couple of crew did 2 years ago from my boat...
Graeme
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 5:57 PM

You say with a seamans book I will not be able to "go ashore". So hypothetically speaking, if didn't go ashore that would be fine?
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:10 PM

Graeme wrote:
You clearly seem like you know what you are talking about so I will ask you this too. As I mentioned, I have worked on board now over a year and have renew my Schengen a couple of times I then got the boat to sort out a seamans discharge book from the marshall islands for me. In saying that, my current Schengen is no longer valid, will this be a hinderance in getting my B1B2 should I go up to Madrid. Might have been a tad nieve on the relying on the seamans book.

Your Schengen status should have no effect on your US visa application. Do not write off the value of proper seaman's papers. If you "have to" do the rock up in a boat deal, you stand in a much better position holding your book. As long as you pass muster when they do a record check, you'll get a lecture then a visa. They may charge a fee for this service.

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:16 PM

Graeme wrote:
You say with a seamans book I will not be able to "go ashore". So hypothetically speaking, if didn't go ashore that would be fine?

Don't take that as a given. There's a risk, but as long as you can afford a ticket out, it's not a big risk.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:53 AM
There is US Consulate in Palma...
Go there and get all info first hand... But do not have much illusions.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:07 AM
The people at the consulate in Palma will give you some documentation to tell you what you need.
Here is a link to the American Embassy in Madrid. Here you can get all the info and even get an appointment.
http://madrid.usembassy.gov/visas/travel/with.html

Regarding traveling to Madrid. If you are traveling from on Schengen country to another then they dont usually check your status. The other option is to get a ferry to Valencia and then the train to Valencia. They have a new fast train between VLC and Madrid and it is only 80 min.

Good Luck.

Graeme
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:00 AM

Thank you so much for the help!!! It's much appreciated.
yachtone
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:40 PM

If RSA is on the visa waver list and you can legally enter the British virgin islands then you may be able to give yourself some extra time and still do the crossing by having the yacht make entry into BVI and you can catch the ferry from West End to St. Thomas and enter as a tourist on a visa waiver for a few days which you must use to sort out your Visa somewhere.

Average 0 out of 5