Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Running out of time in Fort Lauderdale
kascrook
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 6:53 PM

Hello! I'm new to the yachting industry, but I have 5 years of high end service industry and hospitality experience, and a very clean appearance, no tattoos, college educated, etc. I'm a US citizen, I have my STCW95 and came to Fort Lauderdale, but its been weeks and I haven't gotten anywhere. I've been to every crew agency, I'm staying at a crew house, and I've been out to any dock I can get into every day handing out resumes. Still nothing, no call backs even from people who seemed interested. I am afraid I'm going to run out of resources before I find any sort of work, and then be completely SOL. I've been applying to any sort of business in the industry, boat washing, dock maintenance, even a yacht day cruise business. Nothing. Does anyone have tips for making ends meet while trying to find work? Are there temp agencies or day labor offices here? I'm not ready to give up yet, but I think I'd have a harder time finding work if I wind up camping somewhere because I can't afford the crew house anymore, or running up an outlandish credit card bill. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
junior
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 9:31 PM

The hiring window for yacht crew is always very short. I hire in the two week period between April 1 and April 15. If you showed up on April 15 you would be sitting on the beach for the rest of the summer. Of course crew get hired outside this window but in general Timing is everything. What is the timing in Ft Lauderdale ? I really dont know, many years since Ive been to the place. What I suggest is that you get a job...a temp job humping and lifting... for a contractor working the local superyacht industry. While you have this temp job you keep fun tickets in your pocket and get to constantly check out the waterfront scene. As a sailor the classic temp job is working for a big sailmaker picking up and delivering sails to the yachts . You will soon..after a few months know everything. As for timing...Last night I passed a superyacht at night east of Gibralter. Its AIS signal read DESTINATION MIAMI. I would expect the local winter season hiring cycle will begin in your Hood in about three of four weeks
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 9:38 PM
you are a little early for Lauderdale. The boat show starts the 27th of Oct, and there will be a ton of boats around until Jan-Feb. A lot of boats are still over here in the Med, or just getting ready to leave here to head that way. Stick around.
rodsteel
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 10:04 PM

Day work for the FLIB show should be starting soon - check this web site daily:

http://daywork123.com/JobAnnouncementList.aspx

Good Luck,

Rod

Rafo1981
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 10:26 PM

Yeah, you are a little early, don't give up hope yet. I came to Lauderdale for the first time in sept too and wondered why it was so slow. You will find work leading up to boat show, so do what you have to do to stick around for that and you'll be glad you did.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:47 PM
Please send your CV to intl.safety.management@gmail.com

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:38 PM
ay em cuban. I leave in U S and A four few munth. Have dun delivery in small boat 20 meter, 80 crew from cuba to miami, work well as part of teem, have xperience on bote. no fine werk, caan elp me?

ps originally from South Africa.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:40 AM
Send your resume to Captain Fred - fred@boatandyachtservices.com , he needs a stew for a few days this weekend.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:46 AM
In addition to Fred, send your resume to me too at - captscott17@hotmail.com as I need a freelance stew from time to time.
wade smith
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:46 AM

YOu should come to the Annapolis boat show this weekend - Thur - Sunday. I own a charter boat (48' sailing cat) that operates out of St Thomas, and we are looking for chef/stew to work with our captain, starting NOvember 1 thru the season ending in June of '12. If you are up to this challenge, we would like to talk to you. Our boat is seen at "www.yachtsweetestthing.com" and she will be at the boat show. Or send resume to me at wsmith@amca.org
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:22 PM
Allright, enough is enough. Do have any idea how many Americans are without jobs right now. I have seen the same 30 dayworkers at Bahia Mar for the past month. That's all we need is more! I'm tired of hearing about all these people comming to America (ft lauderdale) looking for jobs, when the local job markets are already in despair.
junior
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:53 PM

Hey Anonymous. I recently read in the newspaper that in the USA this years graduating class scored the lowest level ever recorded for SAT exams. [comment removed by moderator[ The OP is AMERICAN. Anonymous, You are a XENOPHOBE [comment removed by moderator]. There is no position for people like you on the international waterfront.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:56 PM
Or try http://AllYachtJobs.com
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:58 PM
Some yachts can't hire US citizens. Do you want those yacht to not come to your port and spend their BIG BUCKS!!!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:03 PM
Yeah, AllYachtJobs.com is loaded with jobs
kascrook
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:34 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great advice! I have two jobs lined up now, and hopefully will keep networking, meeting people and get a permanent position soon! And to the anonymous poster who wants me to leave, I'm too busy now. Sorry.

Average 0 out of 5