Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Newbie going to fort lauderdale
Cristopher
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:02 PM

Ok, since season is about to end in Antibes and i don't wont to wait 7 months for next season. I'm planning to fly to fort lauderdale or somewhere else where chances of getting a job are great. But i have some questions: When do the season start in fort lauderdale? When is it the best time to get a job in fort lauderdale? Besides fort lauderdale is there any other place for jobhunting? Last but not least; which way is the best way to find job, through dockwalking or crew agent?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 7:33 PM
if you ain't from the US, dont bother..its slowly picking up..plus US jobs for US citizens..
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:28 PM
Don't bother coming to Palma .... no jobs here either!!
Captain Scott
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:41 PM

Sign up with a good crew agency, like Crew Unlimited, Luxury Yacht Group, etc., and check in EVERY DAY, even if on line. Go to The Triton classifieds on line, and check the jobs board EVERY DAY. And GET CONNECTED through networking. Good luck, as there are very few jobs out there, and people with jobs are not leaving like they did in the past.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:00 PM
First of all, I have actually known people to say, 'no jobs around' for selfish reasons. It Happens!! There is no best way, it is all things at all times...Crew Agencies on line or physical offices, online job boards, dockwalking, networking, dayworking, friends of your parents or past employers. If you are a newbie as you say, never stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom apt. Stay in the biggest crew house you can find. Crew house networking is far better than bar networking, although don't leave that out (but do it sober or fairly sober) Don't give up. It's those that hang in there that get the jobs. As far as contacting your crew agent every day, that is a little excessive. Just often enough to remind them that you are still counting on them, but you don't want to keep bothering them. Good luck to you all. I just got a job from a guy who knew a guy in my crew house, but it doesn't start till mid Oct. So guess what I AM GOING TO DO. You got it, I'm still looking until I have a contract. Cause you neve know
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:15 PM
I think to outright say don't bother is not entirely correct. For the serious people who are willing to commit to daywork (remember, you might get the lousiest jobs handed to you, but just hang in there!) work is out there. The Fort Lauderdale Boat Show is coming up..what better time than that! I've known girls day-working on deck and I've known guys to daywork in the interior, grabbing whatever you can is important. This is no time to be picky. Good references showing you are a hard worker and reliable worker will get you that permanent job. Show up early and clean-shaven when walking the docks. Wear boat shoes and a nice shirt, not flip-flops and a wife-beater. The same counts for when you sign up with the agencies. Look presentable and let then know you are willing to take on anything. Difficult as it may be, try not to get drawn into the party scene too much. We've let dayworkers go for showing up too late or too hungover.. finding a replacement is easy! The main thing is to be positive throughout the process, even if it seems impossible. If this is your true calling, then the right job for you will come your way! Good luck!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:53 AM
Hey jus wanted to let you know that I'm a newbie as well and i haven't given up . I'm travelling to fort lauderdALe next month for the yacht show and I have an interview lined up at one of the agencies ( crew unlimited ). I'm home ( Bahamas) for the next month and while I'm here I'm still handing out my cards and getting my name out there. Like the others said, keep a positive mindset and don't give up. The hardest thing is getting that first foot in but once you're in YOU'RE IN. I hope you do get the position you desire. good luck!!!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:36 AM
hit the ship yards, day work, do the dirty jobs and don't brag about them....do anything!!!! someone will see you working hard and want you on there boat.
bridgewatch
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:44 AM

If you are not an American citizen or green card holder - DO NOT look for daywork in the USA. It is illegal to "work" in the US comming here holding a B1 (business visitor visa) or B2 (visitor visa). If you travel here on the yacht you are presently employed on and are still employed on it - the B1 B2 visas are associated with working full time as crew on that yacht ONLY. If you arrive here on a delivery but not as a full time employed crew member or you enter flying here, you enter on the B2 part of your visa - VISITOR ONLY. If you leave a yacht while in the US you are still a visitor ONLY because you are no longer employed on the yacht you entered on! Us customs and immigration are out and about in larger numbers this time of year and especially this year due to the crack down on illegal immigrants working in the US. They are now well aware of the droves of illegal crew comming to Ft. Lauderdale looking for daywork on yachts. Also many captains and brokers do not want to risk hiring you either due to the great possibility of loss of licenses or fines if they are caught hiring you or paying you. However, that said, you are allowed to sign up at the crew agencies and try to find work on the many foreign visiting flagged yachts that come here "while you are visiting here". BUT understand that in order to actually get a job onboard a yacht "legally", the captain must fly you out of the USA and back in with ships docs and a letter stating that you are a full time employed crew onboard. You thus re-enter with your B1 B2 visa and I94 card stamped that you are entering already employed on a foreign flagged yacht and you can then join the yacht. That is how the B1 B2 visa works for foreign yacht crew - not for day working. Leave the daywork to the many unemployed US crew that are out of work looking for work here in Ft. Lauderdale. There are so many well qualifed and hard working US crew here already that should be given the priority for the "legal" daywork. So come here with a good amount of cash in your bank account to be able to hang around for some time to apply for work via the crew agencies. If you have doubts about what I am telling you then contact the US Customs and Border Protection in Fort Lauderdale tel# +1 954-761- 2000. Also vist this web site for the do's and don't concering B1 B2 visas and alot more usefull info. http://www.workpermit.com/us/employer_b1_b2.htm . Here is the section on the CBP website found by clicking the "Travel" tab that explains what the "non immigration" B1 - visitor business visa and the B2- tourist visa is. Neither allow you to work while physically in the USA. link: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/study_exchange/difference_visa_adrecord.xml Good luck and please follow our laws while here. Thanks.
chrismlewis
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:56 AM

Can someone point me at the marine association website that has advice and a letter
rodsteel
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:08 PM

chrismlewis wrote:
Can someone point me at the marine association website that has advice and a letter

This one??   http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/News.aspx?id=29858  (at the end of the article)

MHG Mark B
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:11 PM

Hi Chris, you can also contact the US Superyacht Association, www.ussuperyacht.com.
Janine
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:43 PM

Here is a link to the MIASF Crew Visa Letter: http://www.miasf.org/public/library_view_document.cfm?doc=45

Average 0 out of 5