Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Impossible to get a job!!
Teak
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:22 PM

Hello I have been here in Antibes for four weeks. I have asked thirty differnt yachts about daywork and deckhand positions, but they all say “we are fully crewed”. I have applied for alot of deckhand jobs online and i registrated myself at nine differnt crewagents. But still no success!? What should I do? I have STCW -95, Eng 1 a couple of certificates. Two seasons working on a 25m long motorship as a deckie/steward. Which i have a written reference with excellent grade. Its so frustration its like impossible
Mike
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:23 PM

You should probably just give up. Your attitude after 4 weeks of trying to find a job is not good.
John Doe
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:42 PM

Psssssst.....I have a secret..... IT IS THE END OF THE MED SEASON. Get to Lauderdale.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:48 AM
I have a AEC ticket, yachtmaster ocean and PADI DIVE INSTRUCTOR, and it took me 8 weeks to find a job, what you crying about? Expand your area and go beyond the comfortable area of Antibes and South France, try Italy (Further than San Remo)... By the way ENG 1 is no acheivement
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:54 AM
Unemployment is everywhere and consider yourself fortunate if you have the resources to chase yacht jobs. Just being able to get to Antibes and look for work tells me your doing a lot better than many people. Imagine how many others are thinking of coming into yachting as deckhands and stewardess’s. If you want to make it in yachting you need to persist and stop crying, I ran into a guy last season that day worked for 4 years before his first full-time job. Yachting is not immune to tough economic times and I would say the chances of you making it when you finally get a job are 25%, because you sound just like every other wanna-be that found out that long hours in the hot sun and below decks cleaning is not living the dream. I’d think long and hard about what you really want because yachting is hard work for little money when your at the bottom of the food chain and it takes real motivation and heaps of money to get higher qualifications.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:30 PM
Welcome to the Peter principle ..... or Darwinian theory if you prefer! Simply the good yachties have jobs, average and poor yachts don't! Just like the dinosaurs joe average will soon be extinct from this industry!!
ratpack
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:14 AM

Your problem is you went to Antibes. I don't know why so many newbies and wannabies head there - its only a small place in comparison to other docks so unless you have skills for jobs other than deck hand or stewie - go somewhere else. For me, Antibes is full of the fashionable newbie set that are generally not experienced enough to hire
James
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:58 AM

Well I have yet to work on a Superyacht but have done a delivery to the Caribbean which has put some miles under my belt. I am also a PADI Dive Instructor which I hope will aid me in finding a Deckhand position. I have also got all relevant certificates to work on yachts. I am planning on doing another delivery from Cape Town to the Med early next year because I have no money for a plane ticket. Any advise would be appreciated.
David
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:22 PM

Ratpack. where do you recomend looking for work. antibes seems to me to be a good base seeing as there are so many ports along the french coast from Mandelieu to genova (it). i will finish my master mariner in december and will be looking for work. where should i go?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:59 PM
David, for the med.. try palma, valencia, barcelona.. etc.
You can also head to La coitat the shipyards in france.. and back in spain.

I agree with everyone thats posted. Dude you need to stop winging and do the hard yards. So maybe go back to the office job for another year and save for a few more courses. Eg. Yachtmaster (if no miles then do a fast track) but dont count on that getting you a job.
Diving courses, deck courses, water sports courses and im supprised you  have bothered posting this.. when you dont seem to even have a Tender license eg. PowerBoat Level2.

try again next year. Dont bother coming here to Lauderdale. Same story. No one has the time to train newbie crew.

biggest tip: Do grunt work in yards. Like others said. you might have to even do that for a year.

ratpack
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 10:01 AM

David, I agree with the anon post above. I always have viewed Antibes as a place where newbies get drawn to because of the social life. Antibes does have job opportunities but for my money you need experience and qualifications to do well in Antibes. Palma has a huge, and I mean huge boat culture and not just in Palma town - there are now several big yards and docks where the big boats hang out. I have found all but one of my jobs by dock walking in Palma, although I believe good engineers do find it easy to pick up work - In fact this I did on a recent 3 day visit when I wasn't even looking. After that, get a car and hit the Med coast of France, Spain and Italy - there are some hidden gems there - La Ciotat is a classic example, and as yet unspoilt by the 'yachtie' fraternity. There is a 'but' though - you need experience, you will have to prove yourself - and that means doing work that no-one else wants to do. Also, turning up for work early every day and not having the 5 o'clock drop syndrome helps - and biggest of all, turning up for work showing signs of drink/drugs from the night before will get you dropped like a hot brick of s**t. Captains have a huge pool of workers to draw from, all you have to be is one step ahead of the normal dross and your life will be much easier. good luck
John Doe
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 1:35 PM

David, if you are going for your Commercial Master Mariner License in December, we should be asking you questions.
sean
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2011 8:06 PM

I'd have to agree with some above posts that it is lauderdale season.   Most boats are in the yard for refit till the carribean season starts (January-ish).  If oyu come here, be prepared to start by looking for daywork to hold you up whilst also looking for a full-time gig.  It would be best to try and communicate with any mates you have here on a boat or otherwise to feel it out for you...even better if you know someone on a boat in a yard to get you past the gates.  With work the way it is, most yards are guarding the gates to keep daywokrers out from stealing work they could be picking up on. 

Its a different industry now with fewer oppertunities...but things do pop up fast and you have to be on-hand to get on it...good luck, bud

Malcy
Posted: Sunday, October 2, 2011 5:26 AM

I work with UKSA to deliver interior crew training and we have just delivered four week Marine Hospitality course. Even at this time of year, many of our grads head for Antibes and Palma. Some will find work, some not. Some will head back to the UK to find meaningful work in Hospitality for the winter months and head back out again in early March 2012. Last year at the same time, quite a number of our grads found work, some as late as November. Most who did found themselves doing a crossing to work the Carib or BVIs for our winter season. I reiterate some of the comments above and would also note that qualifications, although vital, are not the only reason you gain employment. What's your CV look like, how were you dressed when dockwalking etc etc..... What can you offer that is different? What added value can you add to a yacht. Anonymous above is spot on about the additional quals. Check out training academies for Yacht Master - defo worth the investment. There is not a lot of chat here about crew agents? FYI Pssssssssssst - there is no point in a non US citizen heading out to FL without B1/B2 visa and these are now becoming very difficult to get hold of unless you already have employment confirmed and can evidence this. Finally, check out my new book The Marine Cookery Bible, which has lots of tips about crew training and employment in the sector, as well as some great recipes - www.essentialmarinecookery.com or Amazon. Malcy
wade smith
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 6:05 PM

I own a 48' FP sailing cat - looking for chef/stew/deck hand for charter service starting Nov 1. Pay by the day - have 50 days booked so far this season. Captain is great guy, mid-40's, happily married with 5 kids, lives aboard his own boat - need a great cook who will not cause stress in his happily married life, who will "wow" our guests with service, smiles, and initiative. contact me at wsmith@amca.org. See boat at www.yachtsweetestthing.com, or visit at Annapolis boat show this weekend.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:26 PM
I have just moved to Palma with my partner and have learnt very quickly that getting a job here isn't like back home! All I do all say is dockwalk...from port to port. I also hand out cards in boat yards. I am a very hard worker and will except ANY work given. I'm worried because if I don't find a job very soon I have to go back home whilst my partner stays here. But I do not let all this get me down. A smile is still upon my face and I'm feeling positive!! Something will come my way...Stay positive guys...Things can only get better!!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:45 PM
GET LAND BASED WORK TO TIDE YOU OVER OR SWITCH CAREERS TEMPORARILY OR GET INTO A POSITION THAT IS HIRING....
Henning
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 7:51 PM

Not saying anything about anyone specific, just a general comment on people who have walked up looking for work before, what do you look and smell like when you present yourself? I'm frequently amazed by people walking up to a yacht looking and smelling like they just got off the road following The Dead for 2 years looking for quick money and think a job on a yacht would be cool.

Tertius
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 10:45 AM

Hi James, I know this is far from the topic, but can you give me advise on getting onboard a vessel to do a delivery/crossing from Cape Town. I am a South African needing extra miles/hours for my MEOL. Regards.
gareth.griggs
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 5:31 PM

hey tertius, im also working towards my meol, and have done the ct-tortola crossing on 1 of the cats. whats your plan as for sea time and service it would best suit you getting a permineant job!
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:51 PM
Try looking, day-working, trialing and getting turned down for all for 3 seaons because your either too young, too tall or the wrong nationality

Average 0 out of 5