Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
IDEA VIO Software Encrytion
Richard Duivstein
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:18 AM

I came across an old server PC with vital information on boat systems, inventory, etc. After getting the PC running I came across the IDEA VIO software and found it has encrypted every document on the hard drive. Without any contact with the previous captain or engineer's, I was wandering if anyone has used the software or knows how to remove the encryption. I have tried putting the hard drive into and external case and using my laptop to copy the data, but it still wont allow me. After running the server PC for more than 5 minuets I get the dreaded blue screen of death (registry errors). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Richard Duivestein
junior
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:42 PM

As far as I now both Klaus and Sebastian Allebrodt ...IDEA....are active in the yacht management business. Give them a call at IDEA if you encounter proprietary technology or license problems.
rodsteel
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:24 PM

Richard,

If you are close to Monaco, they are at the show:

21  / 24 September 2011
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Monaco Yacht Show, Port Hercule

SpecTec IDEA welcome you at Monaco Yachtshow 2011. Please visit us at our stand in tent Darse Sud, booth QS77.
Visit Monaco Yacht Show web site

http://www.ideayacht.com/Contact_Us.asp?lang=en

To stabilize your server, find a compatible Windows installation CD/DVD and run the "repair" option? (be careful, don't let it try and do a new installation)

Good Luck,

Rod

Capt Edward P
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 11:05 PM

The whole point of encryption was for this very purpose. To stop unauthorised people looking at data. Note you could not compress a disk, or encrypt it, it was one or the other. When we developed encyption it was designed to be very secure indeed. You will not de-encypt the drive easily. I would suggest you scrub the drive and reinstall the OS that you require, assuming the hardware meets WHQL of course. Then you will have a very useable PC. I work for Microsoft but do not want this to be a factor in any replies or abuse that I may have in my professional capacity
Richard Duivstein
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:25 AM

Thanks for all the reply's, sorry its taken this long to get get here but had other problems to sort out. I managed to ghost the data onto another hard drive and play around with the software. Got access to about 40% (most of it was corrupted, guessing the hard drive was going hence the blue screen of death). Later I found an external hidden away that was set to auto backup the data every week (all un-encrypted). Glad someone thought ahead and did this, saves early onset of grey hair. New hard drive + clean Windows installation and now to sort through the data. Would anyone recommend using IDEA VIO? Never used it myself but if i can find the CD's it saves buying other software. So thank you to everyone for the advice, it was all very helpful. Richard Duivestein
Capt Edward P
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:44 PM

You are welcome Richard. -----------END OF POST ------------

Average 0 out of 5