Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Antibes and crew houses
Fifi
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 4:49 PM

Hey guys, me and two other girls are going out to Antibes on the 27th of this month and were debating accomodation. I'm thinking of staying in a crew house because of the networking and Wifi etc, but the other girls are wanting to find apartments because its cheaper. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Do you still meet loads of people in apartments? and how often do boats get dayworkers from crew houses? is it enough to pay more money to stay there? If anyone else is heading out there around that time and wants to chat get in touch! Fi x
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:11 PM
That's a no brainer. The people who get jobs last will be stuck with the entire payment. And then there's the utilities deposit etc. Crew house networking is far better than 'bar' networking or the non existant 'apartment' networking.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:17 PM
I agree. AND there's the wifi problem. It's almost impossible to be without it.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:16 PM
You can always check out this flat, (http://www.antibes-crewhouse.com/antibes/Welcome.html) it is a crew flat and you each pay 120 a week regardless of whether its 3 of you in there or just one. It is only a studio flat thats sleeps 3 but comes with free wifi. With regards to networking, you would probably be better of in a crew house but the problem is it is now the end of the season so i dont know how much day work you will find or how busy/dead the crew houses will be.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:18 AM
For the most part, the crew house scene is pretty down to earth. They all have fast wifi 24/7, which you ABSOLUTELY need to network for a job. I have been in crew houses using the Internet cafe when captains have come in looking for crew, going through Cv's that are on the board, so yes, you can get jobs out of crew houses. Networking there, as opposed to an apartment scenario, is important. You will meet heaps of people in crew houses to share networking tips with, and in most cases you can relax and have a few cheap beers in the crew house as opposes to going to "The Rip Off Shop" and the "Rip Off Lady Lounge" and spending your entire earnings from day working that one day. I would definitely recommend a crew house. Plus this time of year they are a bit less full and not so crazy!

Average 5 out of 5