Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Kickbacks in Florida
Crew Confessor
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 9:39 PM

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:33 AM
Kick backs in Florida, take them and risk your reputation or say no? I recently got offered a chuck of cash from a company bidding on a job . I obviously declined and also rejected the quote, told the owner and will never use this company again. I thought black money was a thing of the past, especially in America. Is this a common thing in yachting still?
philjoyner
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:52 AM

"I thought black money was a thing of the past, especially in America"

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard!

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:01 PM
 I know, its even an official industry in the USA, except the euphamism de jour is lobbying.

kapt_mark
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 12:23 AM

hanging chads, the death of democracy, 'stand your ground' laws, gitmo, hopefully one day enough of us will look in the mirror...

Caymanboy
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 11:40 AM

I think you need to use different yards or subs. No reputable business will ask for a kickback. Also helps if people stop asking for kickbacks. That has picked up just as much.
heevahova
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:33 AM

How about a db crew threatening a lawsuit if i fail to pay his kickback...happening right now. amazing. Integrity is gone from our culture it seams..It's worse today than 10 years ago. freakin amazing.
Caymanboy
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:48 AM

It sure has! I've been in the boating business (both as a captain and as a repair facility) locally here in Ft Lauderdale for over 30 years and the new group of people just don't have it or get it. And it's on both sides of the boat, the crew and the subs. But believe me, there are reputable firms out there, good ones. The ecomomy makes people do stupid things.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:08 PM
Having worked with the most dishonest Captain that ever sailed the seas, I have witnessed more than my fair share of dirty deals and kickbacks. It starts at the yards, but goes all the way down to dockage and tips. It is stealing from the owner, and sometimes the crew, and shows the true character and integrity of all those involved. The Captain I'm referring to, openly shopped for kickbacks on every purchase and job. There was always something in it for him. We later found he was also stealing crew tips and boat cash. There are bad people in every industry , but it is a two way street when vendors are playing along.
Caymanboy
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:19 PM

I understand that you only said you worked with one of the most dishonest captains ever. How does it start with the yard then? Process usually starts with a P.F.B from captain to yards, the yards supply their proposal, then (sometimes) captain comes back with, I will award you the contract, if--------------------. So how does the yard start it? By going to capatins and saying if you bring boat to us, we will give you this----------------------? In my experience, it has always started with the project manager, capt or crew. There's always favors or kick backs of some sorts. "Oh, and by the way, when you paint the big boat, I have this CC behind my house I'd like to get painted."
Powerabout
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 12:08 PM

If you work for corporate America the risk of a kickback will most likely put you in prison
small business just doesnt know the law..yet

Average 0 out of 5