Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
USCG 500 master to MCA engineer
Mike
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 3:30 PM

I hold a USCG master 500 oceans. Most of the boats I have worked on required that I fullfill the engineering duties as well. I know that a USCG engineering ticket would require me to basically start my sea time over again since it has all gone toward my deck ticket. Can I use my sea time toward an MCA engineering ticket? Can I skip the entry level licenses and go to Y4?
Chief
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:39 PM

Don't be in such a hurry to throw away your previous sea time and experience to obtain a one way ticket. Look at the USCG limited engineering tickets such as DDE.

Unless you plan on sailing on a UK flag yacht and need a CeC or an MCA license, the flag state issues an endorsement based on your underlying ticket and they decide at what level they will allow you to sail under their flag. Don't get sucked into the MCA licensing trap.

Go to the NMC website and look at the checklists, you may get credit for half the time you have now and if you can get sea service letters stating that you performed engineering duties you may get more, depending on the mood of the evaluator and what he or she had for breakfast.

Good luck

Mike
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:49 AM

I'll take a look. THanks Chief!
captcary
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:55 PM

I hold a 1600 master and 5 years ago I picked up my DDE, Chief Eng. OSV, and Asst. Eng Unlimited HP because I worked as Mech/ Elect. at a boat yard and had time as mate/ engineer on yachts. You need separate letters. One to state that you have ?? days working on machinery as an engineer. Even as a captain I have two letters made to differentiate the time. The CG allows that but you can't use the same time (letters of sea time that you have). If you have your contacts from employers you can go back and get some of that time.
Captain Andy
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:01 AM

Hi Mike! Have a look at this information provided by the MCA. If you need details information pertinent to yourself, you can email them at the address on the bottom of the page! What are u waiting for???? LOL Follow the link: http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-home/workingatsea/mcga-trainingandcert/mcga-yachts/ds-stc-tc-yacht-seatime-eng.htm

Average 0 out of 5