Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
M/Y Godspeed destroyed by fire
Janine
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 8:31 PM

Dockwalk received this video of the 39-meter Westport Godspeed, launched as Seaquest in 2005, which was destroyed by fire off the coast of Sicily.

Local reports say 12 people were evacuated from the vessel on Monday, August 8, which is allegedly when she caught fire.

More details to follow.

Watch video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8-sw_QPfrU&feature=player_embedded

rachid karam
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:10 AM
I removed my post as I saw a few people were getting upset about it. I did not posted it to upset anybody, just wanted to share my thoughts.
cristiano
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:22 AM

It is really bad what happened on this yacht. I use to work to Cruise Liners and one of the company boat got on fire in the sea, but because of the weekly drills that we use to have every one got home safetely, I am talking about 2600 people on board, with no way to keep them inside the boat because there was no air (no air working because the fire was in the engine room). But what makes me abset really is the fact that when I show my CV to people and they come to me and tell me that I do not have enogh experience to work on yachts because I started my carrer on Cruises. But I fell really lucky for that, because there I learned how to instruct people in case of chaos and get everyone safe. I hope thtat the industry start looking more for people with safety nowloagdge and not only pretys faces or styles!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:35 AM
[Comment deleted by moderator] You have NO idea what it is like to Capt a 130 WP of for that matter man age a Crew of 6-7.. why dont you try to discuss your education and experience level next time ..
Tom C
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:24 AM

We were in Palermo last week, and were moored next to Godspeed. Very thankful that the crew of 5 got everybody off the yacht. Sometimes in such a situation close to land and in good conditions it is best to evacuate to the tenders, rafts or other vessels, and let the boat burn. Why risk the life of the crew and guests to save the vessel if you are not adequately trained and/or run completely privately and therefore do not have all the requisite equipment for fighting a spreading fire. There is only so much you can do without BA gear and enough crew. I know from speaking with the crew of Godspeed that due to their owners living onboard and the fact they ran with 5, so only the capt. And deckhand on deck then for them the most sensible option was to get off the vessel. Tiredness, and possibly lack of personel and equipment meant evacuation was the only sensible option. So another yacht fire this summer has occurred but thanks to good training, planning and the right amount of luck no body was killed.
heevahova
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:33 AM

[Post removed by moderator for violating forum guidelines]

Deeman
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 12:34 PM

[Comment removed by moderator] Simply put, commercial vessels have to adhere to strong training and drills. Wise up
DougF
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:42 PM

I don't know what happened to cause the fire, but the captain and crew managed a high stress situation to the best of their abilities. All 12 persons made it home safely I say good job for that.
Dave
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:00 PM

We were just tied alongside them in Bonafacio. This could just as easily have been one of us. We can all take this as a warning, Tired of seeing people picking their noses during drills - Its serious stuff. Props to the crew for having everyone evacuated safely.
Yacht Expedition
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 2:59 AM

As I am cleaning off the desk and accounts for year's end, I was reading through some old notes. Did anyone ever determine what caused this fire? My class society said that they were working with the yacht's flag (Marshall Islands) as part of the accident investigation. Was a report ever published? How about the insurance company? It would be beneficial to know to keep it from happening again.

Average 0 out of 5