Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
age limit for stewardesses
daz
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:50 PM

Is there an age limit to a stewardesses career, would 49 years old be considered 10 years past its prime?  

junior
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:38 PM

All people are different. Some 50 year olds are all washed up, some are just spooling up the turbos.. Ive had first class stewardess's who were in their forties. It depends on the person and the program. Age brings maturity. If an owner prefers a stewardess who can actually hold an intelligent conversation , avoid using the word LIKE 4 times in each sentence, diddle Iphones at the dinner table, who can work discreetly and not spend all free time snort'n coke , inebriated and falling in love in the yachty pub , then the older stewardess is a great choice .
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:11 PM
This is a subject very near and dear to me. I am 50 yrs old and in excellent shape. I have a lot of life experience and can bring a lot to the table. I've been told by many crew agencies that I am too old. It's been very frustating. I've worked on boats where I've been the babysitter. Bringing home wasted crew, putting them to bed and covering for there absence. Literally picking them up off the floor. So I just don't get it when I read ads for young crew. A lot of captains and crew agencies are missing out. I look at it as their lose. Please grow up, age is just a number. Look at the whole package.
jurel
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:45 AM

Junior is right all people are different. I am a 48 year old steward/deckhand looking for my first job. When I dockwalk the yachts think I am around 30. The last time I was in Fort Lauderdale I talked to a stewardess that was 57. That is when I knew I would never give up. I have been taking my courses and dockwalking on my time off from a full time job in Virginia Beach for over a year and a half. GOOD LUCK and do not give up.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:24 PM
I know there are boats out there hiring 'older' stewardesses.  It makes me really angry to see that now I am considered 'old' and I am in my mid-30's.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of programs out there looking to hire a pretty young face.  What I find funny is when a beautiful young woman in her early 20's makes position of Chief Stew, and then doesn't have the maturity or experience to roll with the punches on charter and think on the fly adapting to all situations the guests throw her way.

I just eat healthy and work out harder so I still have better stamina and fitness than the girls who are junior to me and are busy going out on party drinking binges which I fortunately got out of my system back in college days....even a pretty young thing looks pretty scary the morning after a big night!

T'Neal
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2012 10:15 AM

good day everyone i am a new stew. I am only 17 but turning 18 on the 26th Jan. would you say it is to young to go look for jobs in ft lauderdale? I have done a number of courses and been to Antibes in March to look for work too. i was there for 3 months and only got 2 weeks day work please help thank you for your time! T'Neal
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:44 PM

Any suggestions on cleaning venetian blinds, the enclosed mesh, super fragile kind?

Average 0 out of 5