Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Tipping
beachbum
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2011 7:16 AM

As there are more and more boats trying to occupy less and less space, the battle for berths is quite intense.  I´ve spoken to a number of Captains, admitedly on smaller (<35m) yachts who have been talking about the tips they give out in order to move themselves higher up the pecking order. I´ve heard some pretty extravagant numbers, and I´m not sure I believe them (i.e. 50% on top of the berth).

But just how much are we talking in reality, or is +50% indeed reality?  I would think trying to get a tip through the accounts could be tricky.
It seems to me, if you fail to tip in the south of France you can forget returning.

junior
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2011 12:46 PM

Who cares ! Tips are none of your business. You dont pay them, the punters who Chadda your rig, then insist on hot spot dockage during high season pay. Make these punters pay to play and stay out of the harbour masters business. Remember, you expect A HEFTY tip at the end of a trip and all you did was drive someones toy around.
chrismlewis
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:00 AM

Not that I have ever taken part in these (very) illegal practices, but I would be surprised if 50% of a 35m dock charge would get you very far unless it is a quiet day anyway! Small tips for "help" with berthing, quick response from divers etc is a different story of course.

Average 0 out of 5