Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
"Cocktails" on the rocks.
Capt.Bill11
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2011 7:13 AM

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.php/2011/08/05/multi-million-dollar-yacht-runs-aground?blog=53
Janine
Posted: Monday, August 8, 2011 3:30 PM

According to an anonymous source, M/Y Cocktails, a 97-foot Hargrave, was run aground by a relief captain to save her from sinking while passing through Woods Hole, Massachusetts, on August 5. The source says that M/Y Cocktails sustained significant damage to fiberglass and stabilizers and that the interior of the vessel sustained water damage.

An article published on www.capecodtoday.com reported that the vessel ran aground on Nobska Beach after hitting a rock approximately 100 yards off shore. The rock apparently cut a four- by 20-foot gash in the bow and the captain decided to run the vessel aground rather than chance sinking. The article reports that no one was injured during the incident.

Read the full article here: http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.php/2011/08/05/multi-million-dollar-yacht-runs-aground?blog=53

[Photos courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard]
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:20 PM

Just...wow....
surfshark
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:23 PM

Another Captain out of a job.
aeronautic1
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:01 AM

I like my cocktails on the rocks.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:05 AM
How unfortunate. We were docked near her last year. The capt was a really nice guy as was the rest of the crew and the owner. Just happy they made it out safe and sound
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:48 AM
I like mine shakin' not stirred.
Miss B Haven
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:49 AM

At least the captain was smart enought o beach her in order to avoid the sinking.
Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:00 AM

Reminds me of the Land End which ran aground on a charted reef in Corsica, but which slid over the reef and then slid off it totally sinking finally. I am wondering if his GPS was not set to WGS84 - instead being stuck on "local", this can give the errors of a few hundred metres necessary to hit a rock patch he thought he was well away from. Hopefully there was no loss of diesel so the beach will not be ruined, and that they can get some sheerlegs in there to get it off the beach. Hoping no-one was on cocktails at the time.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:33 AM
Got to say, talk about total trash journalism,you should get a job for Hola mag or a crappy British newspaper, and to all the arm chair captains out there.GET A LIFE!! For both incidents that occured the last couple of days, you have no idea what happened, let the authorities find out what exactly happened,then you can spurt all of the verbal diarea you please, mistakes happen, and I don't wish it apon anyone. Your all so fast to cock your weaping pistols, and trash mouth all in your path. Just plain garbage, you a worthy of a job at Dunkin Dougnuts !
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:21 PM
I never usually get involved with writing comments on these walls but after reading all the trash talking, unsupportive comments from other people in this industry I must say I am very ashamed to see the lack of support for and from our "Crew" For all of you who are so quick to say "another captain out of a job" You should be in the same situation if you have time to sit on your computer and talk shit about other captains. Let’s just say it does not make you look like the best captain either. All of you need to get a life or get on a boat that is doing something.
heevahova
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:09 PM

It's a pretty well charted area, reportedly running 100 yards offshore is a major risk. This is the place where the trash-talking happens like it or leave it. At least no one was hurt as far as we know. I see very little room for praise, in this market a flooded Hardgrave is worth like negative money. Good job son, would you like another yacht to play with now??
sean
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:59 PM

Though well charted Heevahoova...Woods Hole can be a pretty tight area in the wrong conditions...but again we dont know the exacts of the situation with 'Cocktails'.  I can only say that an incident like this...like the 30m in Hvar that ran rampant and like the sportfish's at the St Augustine inlet should all remind us to stay on our toes.  Its when we get too relaxed that bad things start happening

floathi
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:48 PM

Until we know the details there should be NO judgement made on either of these instances. Accidents happen and for those of you who chose to jump to conclusions you better believe in Karma. That goes for you paramount Whampler, Mr. Intercoasal A H
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:35 PM
With a name like that? take a good guess what happend. Please make more pols to where yachting is going. but not generic single answers. Thank you.
chefrusso
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:55 PM

This is an unfortunate accident, but I'd hesitate to sit here and point fingers and lay blame without having been on board and without knowing all the circumstances. I know the boat pretty well and I know that there was a relief captain on board. It could have been something as simple as unfamiliarity with the area or with the equipment. It could have even been a malfunction of some sort. I would venture to say that the captain would not have ever INTENDED this to happen and I would also assume that he was a professional and knew exactly what to do after the accident happened. He saved the vessel and his crew, despite the most unfortunate of circumstances. To me, that is the most important outcome - NO ONE WAS HURT!

Average 4.5 out of 5