Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Stewardess training.. The essentials?
MissV
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 12:33 PM

Hello!

I am in preparation to head to Fort Lauderdale to find a job for the Caribbean season, and am planning on taking a silver service course over there, and perhaps also a tender driving course if I have time (ie; if I'm still looking for the perfect position  ).

Now I am just wondering what training is most beneficial/necessary to get the best stewardess position...

I already have my STCW95, and have done a season in the Med a few years ago. I have more than 10 years experience in the hospitality industry, but no experience in silver service, which is why I am keen to do this course. I am not comfortable just winging it with something like this as some people may be, as I like to really know my stuff, and be as professional as possible.

As for the RIB, is it a useful thing to have as a stew? Or is it quite unnecessary..?

I'm going to contact the training school I studied with to see if I can get the notes on the STCW to refresh my memory...

Thanks!
V

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:44 PM
Cool disguise,
removing it would be a good start

Malcy
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:19 PM

Hi Maybe it's the American way, but Silver Service is so Passe darling! Yep, there is a time and place for this old fashioned style of service, but most modern yachts have moved on to the 21st Century. If you want the best of the best, then check out UKSA (United Kingdom Sailing Academy) at the global sailing mecca of Cowes on the Isle of Wight. Their Marine Hospitality training is second to none. ENJOY. Malcy www.essentialmarinecookery.com
Donna Morris - Australian Superyacht Crew Training
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:00 AM

Hi Miss V,

I am a crew trainer and recruiter in Sydney Australia.  We train a wide range of men & women each year - all new entrants to the Superyacht industry.  The fact is that the professional yachting industry is becoming more well-known amongst potential crew and these days a higher caliber of candidate is sought by captains.   STCW95 is only eligibility criteria.  If you want a captain to employ you over the other applicants then additional Superyacht-specific training would help.  You need “an edge” over the competition – a way to stand out.  We recommend that you enhance your yachting qualifications to strengthen your CV to achieve this.    

Our company,  Australian Superyacht Crew Recruitment & Training offers Professional Crew training (including Silver Service) that gives the captain a lot more confidence to hire you above the other job-seekers!  It proves that you are a serious and career-minded candidate for a career in this highly professional industry and makes you a safer option to employ than someone who doesn’t have this!

Mal, is correct in saying that Silver Service is not common on yachts as a full meal service, but it is the only way that "seconds" can be added to the plates of the guests - from a platter! - using silver service technique!  During my yachting career I used this skill over and over again, as we usually had guests that liked a second helping!

If you want to check out our Interior Crew training options please visit our website for information.  www.superyachtcrew.com.au and go to the training tab.

You can also email me for information from the site.
Best regards,  Donna Morris

PS As for RIB, do it if you like, but it's not strictly part of a Stew's role onboard - unless you are on a smaller yacht where multi-skilling is par for the course!

Antonika aka Ninja Stew
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:28 AM

Alene gives the best class for yacht stewardess. Her website is http://yachtstewsolutions.vpweb.com. She is based in Ft.lauderdale and comes highly recommended.
Malcy
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:22 AM

Hey Miss V - Totally agree with everything Donna (Australian Superyacht Crew) has said. Good luck. Malcy
Eszter Kinal
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:49 AM

Alene Keenan is the best in town!!
Claire - Blue Nation Crew
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:24 PM

Hello Miss V,

Good luck in finding a great position. The fact that you have a strong hospitality background is advantageous and yes, Donna's comments are right - Silver Service courses have lots of extra service techniques in them that can really make a difference onboard. A good understanding of international wines would be another string to your bow and the WSET courses are becoming very popular on yachts in the mediterranean - in fact, some would say they are now the industry standard.
From late October this year, we will be running professional stewardess courses in Auckland, New Zealand at Blue Nation. We will be offering a variety of courses for interior yacht crew. You can keep updated on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bluenationcrew.

Best of luck,
Claire

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 2:18 PM
Silver Service course does not take the place of experience on the job. Get a job in a land based hotel or restaurant offering this type of service. It will humble you and give you the tools needed. I have worked with stews that do not even know how to present the food or talk about it or even know what the different tools of their trade are called, you wont get what you need to be great from a silly silver service class.....GET A JOB
yam
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:26 PM

hi ia m lead stewardess wants to upgrade my silver service and interior design but my visa is for maritime australian visa only i am filipina and stay here in italy

Average 0 out of 5