Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Australian Marine Engine Driver Grade 2
Jase
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:44 PM

Hi, Just would like to ask a quick one about introducing Australian MED 2 engineers ticket < 750 kw into the yachting Industry ( previously worked on PRIVATE Yachts only ) I have had an LIA on my MED 2 and MCA reported back that I can have an MEOL after applying for a NOE and then sitting an oral examination, it seems like that a lot of people are detoured from the MCA and there regime, can anyone assist me in explaining to me about the Cayman Islands Endorsements and is it possible for my COC of Marine Engine Driver Grade 2, or is this the only way to enter into it through the MCA ? Thank you all greatly

Chief
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:26 PM

Jase wrote: "... can anyone assist me in explaining to me about the Cayman Islands Endorsements ...?"

Why not just go to the source?

UKEngineer
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 7:35 PM

Jase, unfortunately we are all detoured by the MCA's 'regime' for making us take a series of distance learning courses. Even outgoing submarine engineers have to get a letter of initial assessment and start from scratch. My marine engineering trade qualifications seem to be worth nothing to 80% of the global yachting industry. I have to go back to the start like yourself and have 6 months sea time before taking the MEOL oral, but I cannot get a job as a yacht engineer and accumulate sea time because I do not have an MEOL or Y4 and I cannot sit those exams because I do not have the sea time. Catch 22. Typical British Government stitch up. For guys like us it will be a case of getting lucky and finding a job that does not require a licensed engineer and aquiring the seatime that way. Probably best to dockwalk as most advertised jobs want Y4+ as it is a legal requirement aboard that vessel due to where it is registered/insurance etc.
Steve Connolly
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:48 AM

G'day, I have a MCV & MEDII and had the same Issue going round & round in circles with different responses from Just about everyone i asked... I did find out however the Marshal Islands has a reciprocal agreement with Aust so you can get an endorsemmt with them very easily or a licence with a bit of admin & 5 day course (for a master switch, assume engineer will be similar). Not a total solution but more and more vessels are MI flagged. I managed to get on one and will hopefully not have to bother with the MCA. I have the pre reqs and the contact details, let me know if u want them. Good luck!! Steve.
Andy
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:17 AM

Hey Jase, it's a pretty long road to attain your MEOL(Y) through the MCA with the help of your Australian qualifications though it is worthwhile if you want to stay in the industry here. Good luck.
Jase
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:00 PM

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for the advice, please may I ask for the pre-req's, I have sent Cayman Islands an email asking them how do I stand, so waiting for a reply back from them.
There are quite a few positions that are seeking either / or licensed Engineers, I pray one comes along my way soon. Thank you again Steve and good luck too.

Jase
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your valuable help, appreciated.

Jase
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:08 PM

Thank you Chief, grateful.

Todd Dawes
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:26 PM

Hi Steve, I am interested in the MI pre-reqs and contact details, for either or both MC4 and MED 2, and Jase, how did you go with the Caymans? Cheers.
Jas
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:31 AM

no good, they recognize med 1 as a minimum.
Todd Dawes
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:03 AM

Still interested in hearing from Steve Connelly if anyone knows where he is etc... curious to hear what he has to say about the MI stuff
ratpack
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:23 PM

I hve spent the last 6 years working on non ticket boats - there are shed loads of them about! Problem I have now is finding something suitable for my Y3 ticket!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 2:52 PM
Did anyone hear from Steve Connelly about the Marshall Islands stuff...? He said if interested to ask him but no one knows how to get hold of him and he isn't on here anymore to respond... cheers

Average 0 out of 5