Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Help rescue pilot whales in Key Largo
Lauren
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:44 PM

One chief stewardess, who prefers her name not be mentioned, has been doing her part to help marine life--she is volunteering in the rescue endeavor of the five pilot whales that stranded themselves in the Florida Keys on May 5, 2011.

Originally stranding off Cudjoe Key, two of the whales recently were released. Two of the remaining whales are in critical condition, while the third is in "guarded" condition at the Marine Mammal Conservancy (MMC) site in Key Largo.

The chief stewardess wrote: "I am so very glad that I have had this amazing opportunity to be involved with this great organisation to try to save these beautiful animals. It blows me away how many people are involved in trying to save the remaining three. They are predicting a further 2/3 months of rehabilitation as all three have pneumonia from being beached. The youngest of the three is only a calf at one and half years old and is doing the best. The other two are still critical, and all three are in need of 24 hour round the clock care. I have been in the water twice for 4 hour stints on night shifts...it is exhausting but so worthwhile, and especially when you see all the efforts being made by all involved in trying to nurse them back to health."

The MMC needs help, both supplies and volunteers. If you're in the area, consider taking some time to either volunteer for a four-hour shift that would put you in the water with the pilot whales, or if you are unable to spare the time, consider donating money or necessary supplies. For more information, go to: http://marinemammalconservancy.org/

Marine Mammal Conservancy
Tel: 305.451.4774
102200 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL

Average 0 out of 5