Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Newly Qualified Class 4 Unlimited (MCA)
Trig
Posted: Friday, June 3, 2011 9:52 PM

Hello again dockwalk,

In a couple of months I should be qualified from my Engineering Cadetship and hold my Class 4 Unlimited (with all the STCW 95 certs too).

I'm planning on continuing my employment on-board my sponsoring company's cruise ships for the foreseeable future - I plan on getting my Chiefs ticket eventually. However I would definitely like to get involved in the yachting sector in my leave. Does anyone know how possible this is? I am prepared to join yachts for a few weeks at a time as a relief assistant engineer or in any capacity to be honest. I will most likely be getting in touch with agencies and keeping an eye out on the job market as well.

loving the dockwalk site, check it most days

Trig

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2011 5:21 PM
What is a class 4? Didn't it disappear around 1999 from the MCA? Sure you don't mean EEOW?
Trig
Posted: Sunday, June 5, 2011 12:28 PM

You're right, its technically know as your EOOW Licence but but everyone I've talked to about it - lectures and the guys at sea still refer to it as your Class 4's. Maybe its just an old name that will be getting phased out with time.

Trig
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:52 PM

I’ll give this thread a once only bump to see if there is anyone wanting to reply. All I’m wondering is how common or possible is it to act as a relief engineer, doing a month or two a year? I would get more involved but as I said previously I want to stay with my current employers as well. Thanks

Average 0 out of 5