Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Dockwalking in Palma
norbert
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 1:39 PM

Does anyone know how to dockwalk/daywork in Palma since all the docks are gated? I would appreciate any advise. Cheers.

junior
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 5:16 PM

Yah Norbet...couple ways. The South Africans rig a portable Catapult outside the STP gates ,next to Varadero, then each morning they heave their mates over the fence The S'tralians work the waterfront with windsurfers and the Kiwis use the old 3 empty pizza boxes with work overalls and resume inside...PIZZA DELIVERY ... MOTOR YACHT "BLACK SMOKER"....trick
RH
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 7:31 PM

My personal favourite - Cheesy fake mustache, brill cream hair, green jump suit, mirrored aviator sunglasses, jackboots, clipboard and a fake badge then pose as Guardia Civil or Aduana. You need more front than sainsbury's and an attitude but you will get noticed.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 10:44 PM
Norbert have you ever considered why the marina has gates and security? Aside from that what are you going to do once your inside? For weeks now people have been dock walking and hitting the same yachts with limited success. Dock walking is more a lifestyle than anything, I see people wander around marinas, moving from one boat to the next boat until they reach the end of the dock, only to see the same people walking along the water front with beer cans in their hands as they head off to the overpriced yachting bar so they can continue networking.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 10:49 PM
Norbert have you ever considered why the marina has gates and security? Aside from that what are you going to do once your inside? For weeks now people have been dock walking and hitting the same yachts with limited success. Dock walking is more a lifestyle than anything. I see people wander around marinas, moving from one boat to the next boat until they reach the end of the dock, only to see the same people walking along the water front with beer cans in their hands as they head off to the overpriced yachting bars so they can continue networking. You have to ask yourself what is the point? Do people really think looking serious in the morning and then behaving like a drunk college student at night will land you a good job, I'd be careful how you conduct yourself in and around Palma you never know who is watching, it may very well be the Captain your interviewing with the next day.
stephanie
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:05 AM

Dear Anonymous,
You sound like a person who has not had the unfortunate pleasure of walking the docks for a very long time. Please try and remember that everyone starts somewhere and being the older, more-experienced person who crushes the spirits of those younger and less experienced than you does not come across well. One day when we are done with yachting one hopes we'd have left a favourable impression on everyone we met not just those holding the cheque books right?

molinator
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:25 AM

Norbert, Here's a few ways to a more successful dockwalk; 1. Join the "Palma Yacht Crew"-group on Facebook 2. Dress like a professional yachtsman 3. Be courteous and have your CV or business card ready to be handed out. If you're told the yacht is fully crewed, ask if they will pass your resume on to the Captain to be put on file. A resume with photo delivered in a little plastic sheet has a bigger chance of surviving the long journey up to the Bridge without being trashed in the Bosun's Locker, Galley, Pantry, Crew Mess etc. 4. Be cheerful and chat with as many as you can (in particular the lads in the chandler-vans, such as Bosun's Locker and Rolling Stock knows of jobs going in Palma !) 5. Create a nice business card and post it on the board in "The Corner Bar" and "Escape Bar" 6. How to get into - Club de Mar; Dress like a pro and walk (cycling is even better) through the front gate. Best if you don't carry a bag, so hide your resume under your shirt for a minute). If they stop you tell them you're going to the Rolling Stock shop, or say you have a meeting at the Club de Mar bar, buy a coffee, then hit the docks 30 mins later, when the gatekeeper is not paying attention ! You can also try and sneak in with someone through the small gate on Paseig Maritimo. Best time to do that is just before 8.00 AM, unless they have a guard by the gate. - STP; Again dress like a pro, hide your resumes and tell them you are going to the Rolling Stock shop or one of the other businesses inside STP 7. Go to Porto Portals. Dockwalking is easy there, although not as many big boats, but dayworkers should still be needed. 8. Haven't been to Port Adriano in ages, and I don't recall if it's gated and how many bigger yachts are there at present, but it's worth a try. 9. Crew agencies may be nice and friendly, but don't rely on them. Keep looking, don't give up and eventually you'll land that first job. Best of luck, Lars PS.On a different note; do not miss out on the best pizza in Palma, if not in the Med; Cafe Venetos up the hill opposite the small gate in Club de Mar :p
Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:19 AM

Way to go Lars! Pithy stuff. Captain Ed
Tom C
Posted: Friday, June 3, 2011 10:42 AM

The biggest problem i find with dockwalkers is that not all of them understand yachting etiquette. Here in Palma you seem to get teams of prospective crew hitting the docks together, they bombard the back of your yacht with shouts and whistles, regardless of if the guests are on board on not. The only people who get my attention are on their own (unless part of a couple) and politely ask to speak to the captain or the mate. If you just ask the first deckhand you see then of course he´ll probably say no they have no work, he doesn´t realise that his job may be up for grabs but the captain does!!! In saying that all my crew have come through word of mouth or off the dock good luck!

Average 0 out of 5