Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Fire in Golfe-Juan
Hank Moody
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 1:54 PM

A large fire broke out in Golfe-Juan today, at least 4 yachts totaled. Anyone know what started it? Got it all on video if anyone is interested
Lauren
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 4:12 PM

Hi Hank,

We would be interested in seeing the video and hearing any more information you have. You can email me at: lauren@dockwalk.com.

According to reports in the French press, "four large yachts" boats burned in Port Camille Rayon, but no was was injured. It's not known at this time how the fire started and the names of the vessels have not been reported as yet.

Nikki
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:32 PM

Hi guys. i was down at golf Juan today, went dockwalking when it all happened LOL. not sure what started it, but it was hectic. Im sure theres gonna be a few unhappy people tonight
Nikki
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 5:43 PM

However Hank, id like to have the video too plse if you dont mind, as i never took any pics myself. my email addy is n_emerick@hotmail.com
Yachtspotter
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:18 PM

Hello All,

See these links:
http://www.nicematin.com/article/derniere-minute/quatre-yachts-en-feu-dans-le-port-de-golfe-juan
http://www.monacomatin.mc/diaporama/yachts-en-feu-dans-le-port-camille-rayon-a-golfe-juan?idx=15#top-diapo

50 firefighters, 13 cars, no one was injured.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:33 PM
Saw the whole thing from close by. Pretty shocking response from the fire brigade, has to be said... I guess it was around lunch time! At least no one was hurt.
Hank Moody
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:41 AM

Hi Lauren, I´ll try to upload it on Youtube, the file is huge and I am on one of those 3G thingys so it might take a while. Pretty slow response from the fire brigade as someone said, but from where I stood, I have to say that the port guys did a pretty good job. Most definitely saved that whole key of small yachts when that large burning yacht drifted alongside! At that point it sure looked as the fire would spread widely
Jase & Stace
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:01 AM

Hi Lauren, I sent you through some great photos of it all happening. Hope they got to you ok so we can all see them. Kind regards Jason Yorke
Michael Kendjian
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:16 AM

Hi Hank, I have a sailing boat on 23 and would like to have the vidio. I know that our yacht Ana-Fleur was to far away to have sufferd but we have a lot of friends on the pontoon and I am wondering which yachts got caught. Michael
Janine
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 5:19 PM

Dockwalk received this photos of the boat fire at Port Camille Rayon in Golfe Juan France from Jason Yorke.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 9:21 PM
After a  talk with a friend of me who is  a member of voluntary service at the SNSM in golfe juan( save of the life  at the sea) the fire started from a Sunseeker of 15 meters , this is the second in less of 6 months ......
the 2 others yachts have the same  lengths .  the marina operators was exemplary by theirs quick action

Nikki
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:14 AM

HI Janine. would you mind emailing me those photos plse n_emerick@hotmail.com thks
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:23 PM
It is actually the 2nd in a month for sunseeker. They had a 34m go up in smoke in Poole prior to its launch and delivery to the new owners...

Eugene Maderal
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:28 PM

[Comment deleted by moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:48 AM
NEVER leave hot halogen interior lights on !!!
Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:34 AM

I can believe the poor response by the french fire brigade. They are normally totally unprepared and made up of volunteers who get paid each time they are called out. In 2008 I called them out to a fire which had got into a hollow tree trunk after we were authorised to burn brush. I explained that there was a fire in a tree. They turned up and stood around, and then told me they would have to call for a ladder. A ladder for chrissake! You would think that they would have a ladder for rescuing a person, a kitty-cat, or perish the thought, for climbing up a tree. After having lived in France for many years I think that France is definitely third world, and forget the fact that everyone goes there for the sun, and tourism, it is still a basic, third world, Arabic country. Yours 'aye Captain Ed
nazareelena
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:11 AM

I think the owners want to get the money ... My opinion ... Is a practice here in France .... They do it with the cars too....

Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:28 AM

Yacht bristling with fire control and alarm systems.....alert to mobile phones, SIMON or Freetechnics monitoring or whatever.... or was the mobile phone switched off so the alert could not be received. As Dockwalk mentions, this is the second time within a month that Sunseekers have "spontaneously combusted" - the Company should really take note of this and examine. Not to mention the superyacht damaged by fire a week or so back along the coast towards Fréjus, there seem to be a lot of spontaneous combustions going on. I feel sorry for those whose boats are next door and who were implicated. I also feel sorry for the insurers who are going to have to pay out for 4 boats which will just put premiums up for everyone. The fire looked a pretty black one, presumably all the PVC trim helped it propogate nicely. I wonder whether the industry should start about thinking about fully-sprinklered yachts seeing as they classify themselves as 5 star hotels, then may be these losses would not have been so bad or even happened at all. You would not get a 5 star land hotel allowed without sprinklers, so why should yachts be any different. Yours 'aye Captain Ed
Dennis Manefeldt
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:58 AM

Hi Janine, could you please email me the photos. Thanx
dennis@marineclassifieds.co.za

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 12:40 PM

Hi Hank

It would be good to have a copy of that video for my STCW classes if possible.

libertyacht@yahoo.com

Thanks

Pete 

PYT Durban

Jared1
Posted: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 4:10 PM

I'm aboard one of the yachts in Port cammile- rayon, and would like to point out that the staff at the port were extremely fast acting with great knowledge and it's thanks to them that this was not a bigger catastrophe. Also, thanks to some of the bigger yachts quick response time (especially on a saturday) using all available firefighting deck gear the boats were just smoldering by the time they were at the harbour entrance. I tip my hat to all who were involved.

Average 0 out of 5