Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Antibes or Viareggio?
Ola2011
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:58 PM

I've spent some hours reading every interesting topic in this forum and I'm now wondering if anyone have any experience about jobhunting in Viareggio, Italy?
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:45 PM
Ola? Scandinavian, or to be more exact, Norwegian? You don't stand a chance, believe me. Gotta be SA, UK, Kiwi or Aussie in this business, unless they specifically require an additional language which Anglos habitually do not master (which is most everything apart from pidgin English) or at best mangle! First you gotta find a captain from the above mentioned that really does want to give everybody a go without giving preference to a young yachtie from their own country. Second, if you get a job in Europe, you as a European, will be the odd man out, the exotic comic relief, all that in your own backyard! "The world is wild at heart and weird on top"
Ola2011
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:09 PM

I'm Swedish and I'm sure I handle English good enough. I'm also sure that not every captain/owner has english as their first language so why would that be a problem? And you write as if I was the first Scandinavian who's about to go into this industry, I know for a fact that there are many swedes working in this busniness.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:45 PM
It's not a question of holding your own in English, it's the color and format of your passport! There is no lion on it, nor a mamba, but three crowns, ain't gonna cut it. Sure there are Swedes working the biz, but on most boats you will find your self the only one which is actually has another language than English as mother tongue. How many capts have you met that is not Brit or Commonwealth. The odd Yankee perhaps? Heard of a Dutch guy once (what ever happened to him?).
Ola2011
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 12:06 AM

Can anyone else confirm what he's saying is the truth? I'm getting a feeling you're trying to scare me off for no justified reason. Maybe it's because you're posting anonymously? I can't think of ONE reason for you to be hiding at this moment.
G. Threepwood
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 12:12 AM

Pretty much, yeah! Sad in a way! But take heart, there will always be an opening for those who are focused and motivated!
Tom C
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 2:44 PM

I´m sorry but what ánonymous´has said is absolute rubbish. My crew do happen to be all from the commonwealth, but it happens that we are all couples and from each others countries. However the yacht next to me has an icelandic chef, and a spanish engineer. My friend 2 boats up is dutch and is the 1st mate on a 45m with the captain being finnish. The boat on my port side has a SA captain, a french chef, american deckhand and polish engineer. there is a very famous charter yacht called M... J.... which only employs polish engineers from the polish maritime school. DOnt listen to the advice that you have to be white, english (commonwealth) to work in this industry, at the end of the day it all comes down to how hard you work and what skills you bring to our industry.
PaoloRanalli
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:51 PM

Hi Ola, I do agree with Tom C. Yes, ok, let's face it, this industry is mainly anglophone, but certainly is not difficult to find around yachts with crew members from many different nationalities, not all of them having a perfect command of english ( just like me... ). I'm a captain with MCA ticket, I'm from Italy and currently working with a crew made from italians, SA, aussies, polish. We use english as primary language onboard. As a professional I DO NOT CARE of the nationality of the crew, what is important is: skills, experience, enthusiasm, politeness, ability to carry hard work under pressure with a smile on the face, being switched on and, above all, being OPEN MINDED. That's why I'd never give a go on my yacht to a guy like anonymous...

Average 0 out of 5