Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
San Diego or Hawaii for jobhunt? (or somewhere else?)
hawsepipsqueak
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 4:59 PM

I'm a newbie. I've got my MMC, TWIC, STCW-95 basic safety, Open Water Scuba cert, Food & Alcohol handling certs, and have taught myself knot-tying. College educated, experienced in computers and hand/power tools. A mature adult and hard worker. But no sea-time. I'm trying to start working on a boat anyway I can, doing whatever I can. My plan is to move to either San Diego or Hawaii and start walking the docks, putting in applications to companies and agencies, even cruise ships and oil rigs. Looked into the Military Sealift Command but they aren't hiring entry-level right now. The unions don't sound too promising from what I've gathered. Of these two locations, which is my best bet for finding work? Would you suggest somewhere else? Thanks for any advice and insight.
conrad bagley boat services
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 10:10 PM

Hi Guy, I worked in the Hawaiian Is. on boats for quite a few years, and it was great. If you want to get into the superyacht scene your better off going to the Florida (Fort Lauderdale) as soon as posible to try and find a yacht heading over to the Med. If you arrive in the Med. after an ocean passage you've got your foot in the door. Good luck. Conrad
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:06 PM
Sounds like you need to narrow your search and figure out what "type" of boat you want to work on instead of just blindly trying to get on a boat, any boat. Perhaps you should also do a little research into all these boats to help you decide what kind of boating you want to do. That way you won't make silly decisions like trying to find a luxury yacht job in Hawaii or San Diego when you need to be in Fort Lauderdale or Antibes to get work on a yacht. Furthermore, the next time you use a public forum you'll sound a tad more intelligent and it would help your prospects for hiring. As a college grad, I would expect you to have been told to always research the company/industry you want to get hired in. Just sounds like you need more direction and focus. Best of luck to you.
hawsepipsqueak
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:42 PM

Dear Anonymous: I never said it was my ultimate goal to work on a luxury yacht. However, there ARE yachts in Hawaii and San Diego - as well as many other kinds of boats and companies. [Comment removed by moderator]. I chose those two locations because I'm interested in living there specifically and because they are major ports for a wide variety of industry. This is why I have a Merchant Mariner's Card and a Transportation Worker's Card. Despite what you say, my goal IS to get on a boat, any boat, in order to accrue sea-time, eventually upgrade my seaman rating, get my foot in the door, etc. To make money and travel. Know what? This is actually a very common strategy among sailors who, like myself, started out as hawsepipers. Eg, I have spoken to captains and upper level sailors who got their start on oil rigs, tugboats and fishing boats and worked their way up to better positions because that's just what you have to do when the jobs and opportunities aren't abundant and/or you don't have sea experience. [comment removed by moderator]

Haley
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:24 PM

Well when you come onto a yachting forum asking about job prospects, don't get upset if the advice you get isn't what you want to hear. Fact of the matter is that there are a *few* yacht jobs in San Diego and almost *no* yacht jobs in Hawaii. Understood if you want to be based out of there, I'm merely pointing out that you'll be better off trying for a different type of boat job in those ports as luxury yachts jobs are few and far between. And if there are any, much like many other boat jobs, they won't be *based* there just stopping by for a visit. Unless you want to be a babysitter, which from your desire to get sea time I don't think is the case. I'm also saying that most yacht captains aren't keen on hiring someone who is quite wishy washy about what kind of boat job they want. That comes across as a "What can you do for me?" attitude and non-commital. There are enough backpackers in yachting looking to make a quick buck, but very few committed professionals looking for a career. Anyway, this is all from a yachting point of view. I have no idea how it works in other maritime industries. But you came to a yachty forum so therefore I gave you yachty advice. Once again, good luck.
hawsepipsqueak
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:51 PM

[Comment removed by moderator]

Average 2.5 out of 5