Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Extra bits
Fifi
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:30 PM

Dear Crew Confessor, I will soon be completing all my necessary qualifications to work on a yacht and I'm very excited. I was wondering if it would be worth me taking a few fast-track one-day courses in things like floristry, facial massage and things like that to set myself apart from other people on my resume? Since I don't speak another language and have no previous yacht experience I feel like I need something a bit different. Do you think it would be worth it? From Fi
yes
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 8:16 PM

Do not wast more money!! you are about to realize you have bee coned in to believing their are Jobs for you and the rest or you class this weak and the classes at 5 other schools plus all the other graduates for the last 6 months do the math marine schools are a business selling a dream for profit I had 15 dock walkers visit my Yacht within 1 hour of docking in Palma having said that i do have a job available soon the money is a joke and we are a day charter boat but we have fun in the Caribbean we dont polish much or get shat on by missrebal billionaires IF the volume jobs of existed that the schools clam it can be because crew are quitting ? dont want to be negative just think about it
Rach
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:42 PM

Hi Fifi,
I run a stewardess training school here in the UK (Crew4superyachts) and regardless of what the above negative poster claims, there ARE jobs out there, so please dont lose faith. I would estimate 90% of our former students have found work upon completing training, and I would happily put you in touch with any of them if you'd like a chat! Extra training alone will not guarantee you find work, however it will put you one step ahead of all the other newbies joining the industry, and show you have taken the time effort and initiative to want to be a part of this industry for the long term. 
I am testament to that fact - I myself completed a stewardess training course and because of the silver service etc skills I learnt during this course it helped me secure my first position on a 52m charter yacht, which was a great basis for beginning 8 successful years as a chief stewardess. When I was dockwalking for my first job everyone also told me there were heaps of crew and no jobs available and to just go home, but I persevered and it was well worth it!
From a chief stewardesses point of view, I would always hire someone with training under their belt - a chief stew has enough on their plate without the added stress of having to train a newcomer that cannot even do the basics of laundry and table service.
Please dont listen to the negatives you have taken all the correct steps so far, and yes it will be challenging but totally worth it. I wish you all the best of luck and if you would like any further advice please drop me an email I'll be more then happy to help.
Rachel, Crew4Superyachts Ltd, info@crew4superyachts.co.uk  

junior
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 8:15 PM

Before you part with a fistful of hard earned dollars on Yachty school toilet paper folding diplomas....GET DOWN TO THE WATERFRONT ...SIGN ON A YACHT AS YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER CREW... DO THE JOB, WORK HARD....... then , after a succesful season, see if life on boats as a seaman is for you. Its a difficult life FiFe. 90 percent of crew, particularly girls, implode after a season. Ive been on the road near 40 years now, trust me. Get to work now.....no need to feed the sharks at yachty school.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:52 PM
Hello, I would agree more with Junior comment but with out being despective on schools, since I still think a basic service courses will smooth things and relieve a lot of stress to perform your new job, then if you decide to continue your career you can always get more training if you feel so, I would said keep it simple and basic, just to show your potential employer you will be ready to walk by yourself sooner. Extremes are not good I think, just a reasonable price for training at this stage. I am interior manager for a group of yachts, and it is true, I'd prefer some prior basic training in order to hire someone.
Fifi
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:14 PM

Thank you guys for your replies. The people Im training with is a non-profit organisation, their a charity, so I know that my money isn't going into some greedy persons pocket. I've been down and spoken to the guys and even online to a few of the people who got jobs from it and it all seems very promising. The training I'm doing is my stcw95 which I need to work a a yacht over 24m anyway, so I cant just walk onto a boat without it, and my eng1 is part of it. The rest is touching up on my cooking knowledge and radio communications and speedboat L2, which I want to do regardless because it seems like good fun. I'm also no stranger to hard work and long hours, i imagine a yacht will still be harder, but I'm good with pressure and I'm no cry baby. I'm literally just wondering if its worth getting some quick experience in floristry or cocktail making and things like that so i'm not completely clueless

Average 0 out of 5