Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Good looks?
fiona_baker
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 11:06 PM

Dear Crew Confessor, I'm 19 and female and I'm currently doing my training so I can get my first yacht job. I've been reading everything I can find out about the industry and I know that its based a lot upon looks. I currently work in a restaurant where they have a similar view on that so I'm used to it and honestly I'm very confident in my weight and appearance. However I read that certain yachts will only stock certain sized uniforms? What is the typical size of an average stewardess and exactly how vein is the industry just so I'm prepared for it? I have no issues with hitting the gym a bit more! From Fi
Dean
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:38 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about fitting into uniforms, your focus should be fitting into the job. Looks will only take you so far in yachting. If looks where the only thing that counted I'd be out of a job today. There's a lot more to being a stewardess than meets the eye.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 12:06 AM
The looks myth is a load of crap...i have worked on many yachts over the last 9 years and yet to have worked with a "hottie", the term is "presentable". Hard working, easy going and not sea-sick are more important. Captains who hire for looks are just trying to get in your pants. They will fire you later if you don't put out.
junior
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 7:34 AM

To excel as a yacht crew, looks count little. Street smart, hard working, multilingual, well presented and easy to live with are the required traits. As for uniform sizes..well yes and no. Best to be average height, weight. The gear onboard , particularly safety gear , is expensive...1000 euro a set....Important that you fit into standard sizes. If you re five feet tall and five feet around the chest its a problem. When describing your shape on a resume stick with physically fit, height weight proportionate. Avoid fashion model, full body or swim suite pictures...they shout out insecurity.
Fifi
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 3:42 PM

okay thanks guys, I'm less concerned now, its just nice to know what to expect so I'm not taken by surprise. Cheers
amira
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:39 AM

I'll be happy to add my 2 cents.

I would say that it really depends on what kind of vessel you're working on. If the owner is into partying and/or showing off to friends  then they would rather hire more stewardesses that look amazing than one awesome worker who looks ordinary. A family or charter boat will care much less about looks but an employee has to look presentable and take care of themselves no matter how they rate on the attractiveness scale.

Even as a chef I make sure to always have my pedicure on (because we're barefoot) and look refreshed and polished with a pressed uniform when I head upstairs to the galley when the guests are on board.

It's a fact that attractive people have an easier life (this is actually a scientifically proven fact) and there's really nothing to do about that. They will also be cut more slack than someone ordinary when they don't work as hard as other people do.  In this business, working hard, being friendly and professional goes a very very long way because it's not easy working on a yacht. It's hard work that not everyone can end up doing well and that separates the amateurs who will drop out from the people who are in it for the long haul. I can't stress enough how important being on top of your game is. This job makes good bank and the competition is fierce.

Wishing you luck and have a wonderful journey.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:39 PM
expect to work your ass off and still gain 2 pant sizes.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:14 PM

A person is often judged by their appearance when looking for work on a yacht and weight will go against you if you have it and it is obvious. The industry does look for healthy, not over weight people, that is the industry like it or hate it. I have to say though, there are alot of crew though walking the docks this year with way too many round corners sticking out, the young generation really need to take a serious look at themselves, especially looking for work on a yacht. If you are chubby, people think you are lazy, don´t exercise, are unhealthy and are not able to work hard without breaking a sweat and won´t be upto the task. This industry is still about image and who could blame it, you pay for the best, then why not hire the best looking, fit, health conscious persons and someone that takes a pride in themselves and cares about what they look like. If you are chubby, fat, call it what you like, and are in control of your weight, don´t expect a yacht to hire you when there are slim people out there.

Capt Kaj

Fifi
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:47 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice! Just so were clear I'm not over weight, I'm actually very slim, UK size 8. I was just wondering if it were so vein I'd be considered bigger than average. Like my friend who's skinny moved to O.C and she gets called chubby when she isn't at all. Just a thought.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 4:08 PM
Do you get sea-sick ?? That is a better question. It doesn't matter how slim or attractive crew members are if we never see them.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:19 PM

I work on a yacht where unfortunately, I have to ask the agencies for the most attractive girls when I am hiring - It is purely down to the owner who likes to showcase us as well as his yacht - that being said, I will always hire the friendliest and most enthusiastic of the girls I speak to when hiring junior crew...

It is difficult when I want one girl but te owner wants another based on the pictures but what I have found is that the people who WANT to be in the industry will last, if he makes me hire a pretty girl who cant hack it, they are gone and I am looking again!

It does have a factor, but I wouldn't worry too much, the first job is the hardest to get but the more experience you have, the easier it is to get another job and another...

Average 3 out of 5