Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
How about starting a One iPad per boat campaign ?!
zakborg
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 12:47 PM

Wouldn't that be a good idea ?
Dean
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 1:06 PM

What for?
amira
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:38 PM

Seeing as almost every crew member has a laptop, I don't see what an iPad can add. Also, one iPad means people will be fighting over it constantly. It's a fun gadget seeing as it's light and easy to carry around but I don't see what it can add as a professional tool. There are also a few downsides to the iPad. It's difficult to print from the iPad without the right printer and a lot of what we do on yachts relies on printed paperwork (for me, recipes etc also maps etc).

All yachts have computers on board as well that the crew can use so I really don't see what an iPad can add.

Amira

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:13 PM
I am on a Yacht with 26 crew, ALL have laptops a few have Ipads ..... SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT!!??. are you new to yachting!??.
zakborg
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:36 PM

@dean:To replace/compliment ugly looking MFD's... over the coming years we will see a big in surge of tablets replacing laptops and possibly some other displays! @amira: ok sorry not one ipad on a super yacht that would be a bit of an issue.. an iPad or other tablet per crew member would be a much better alternative to a laptop would'nt it ?... with custom made apps available for the crew to help them on board as well as keep in sync with family and friends. Currenlty laptops are in the majority they will soon be phased out for tablets, such as iPads or MeeGo devices @Anonymous : I assure you i am not new to yachting... well i have been on board super yachts in Malta with 32 crew on board and so many iPads that they have no idea what to do with them... its based on ones taste... but nice tablets would surely help any crew member.... www.marssa.org
zakborg
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:50 PM

This is always a hot topic.... i personally love my tablet, it might not be as good and efficient as my laptop but a few months down the line i am sure it will be. No matter what when on board one uses his laptop for basic things and a tablet can surely do the same job... the major stepping stone will come about when our open source MARSSA platform is in full swing allowing crew to download apps onto their tablets from the Marine app store, enabling them to use the tablet and apps to hook up to their yachts and do unimaginable things! The future is very exciting and technology is just going to make everyones life so much easier! my blog is yachtech.wordpress.com my twitter is #zakborg my skype is zakborg I would like to hear from you guys and your feedback!

Average 5 out of 5