Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Software for Maintenence Log
SXM Marine Trading Crew Placement
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 3:50 PM

Can you advise me on any available computor software for scheduling, documenting and logging maintenence for Engineers on Mega Yachts. The boat is 46m and has not been properly maintained and has had no record keeping so the engineer will be starting from scratch. Thanks!
Septic tank
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 6:31 PM

I've used IDEA on previous yachts. The link is http://idea-light.net/ -------There is also Triton http://www.greatcirclesys.com/triton.htm --- there are many on the market they key is to keep it simple and not make it become a distraction to the actual work being done. I've also set it up on MS Outlook as a task folder when nothing existed on the yacht
MarineDex
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:13 AM

I've never personallly had to use software to manage maintenance onboard yachts however I do see the value onboard larger boats. I recently met Ian Hornsby from Techman they have a great software package which they can customerise to your needs and requirements. I know that they built a number of custom systems for large management companies like Hill Robinson and I know of a few shipyards that are considering using their system in the yard and for all their boats that they build.

They are based in Antibes

Telephone number : +33 (0) 493 345 400
email : sales@techmansoftware.com

Let us know how you get on.

Dave Skolnick on Auspicious
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:37 PM

In my experience the biggest issue is one of consolidation. The maintenance guidelines for each piece of equipment are in the manual for that equipment. Further the combination of service hours and calendar time can make sorting lists a challenge.

I've made my own spreadsheet in Excel that lists all the equipment on the boat and the maintenance schedules. I just add a row under the schedule information for actual maintenance. The outline feature in Excel lets me collapse that information so it isn't a distraction.

Some things are judgment based as well but should be on the list so one is reminded to think of them. Blocks, winches, and running riggging for example need maintenance or replacement periodically based on regular inspection, as do dock lines. I recently had a bow line fail at mid-length, apparently due to salt build-up and fatigue. Dock lines are now on my maintenance list. *grin*

It isn't automatic. I have to open it up and look at it. But it works for me. When I get somewhere with reasonable facilities I go through the sheet and do everything that makes sense from a time, supplies, and facilities point of view. I generally carry spares and parts aboard for three cycles of most maintenance on most things (not quite that much lube oil) but disposal can be an issue in some places (like the Bahamas out islands) so I'll do oil changes early before heading in that direction. I try to avoid maintenance evolutions underway as well, so some things get down early if an extended passage is in the cards.

Robert
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:23 AM

http://www.marasoft.nl/12/22/portfolio_cat/11/Cruise.html
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 8:59 PM
Another product that has been strong in the smaller yacht market and the commercial market is WheelHouse Technologies. 

ratpack
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:00 PM

I always found that a spreadsheet to start and then enter all of the maintenance and checks into your laptops calendar - when you open the calendar, your joblist for the day will open up too. If yu get really smart with the spreadsheet, you can even get it to tell you what parts you need for the job at hand and also where to find them
d_meister
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 2:07 PM

I've been using Yacht Manager for two years. I keep it open on my computer all day and post whatever maintenance or repair that's been done, and it has an exceptional scheduled maintenance section that keeps track of what needs doing. It's at http://mvosonegro.com/YachtMgr.html

Average 0 out of 5