Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Extorting crew
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:31 PM
On board our yacht we have a problem with crewmembers extorting other crewmembers to take watches and switch shifts. Is it normal for crewmember to be pay our 60 euros for another crewmember to that their watch or switch shift with them?

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:18 PM
That is not extortion, it is bribery, and yes it is VERY common. Personally I don't see any harm in it. Both parties involved get what they want and no one is harmed...
Jamespettifer
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 9:01 AM

Some Captains will not allow this. As you could end up with one person doing to many watches in one night and become fatigued/tired and put the boat as risk. Any changes to the watch schedule should be passed by a Officer fist.
Capt Edward P
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 2:12 PM

Remember that all watch records are scrutinised by the authorities. I agree with the previous poster about fatigue. If you don't want to do your job properly, get off the boat ! This job's not for sissies. Yours 'aye Captain Ed... hideousfrance.com
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:45 AM
Are these watches while the boat is underway or just at the dock? I have never heard of people switching watches while underway....although when at dock it all the time.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 5:19 PM
In port i will do it and i always say you howe me a Beer. Some times it has been the opposite. crews are supposed to be buddies, companyons, that is what makes mariners, no money, just friendship. At the moment too many back packers that want to visit the world being paid, Fine!!! but not on my boat. 25 years old, ALL THE TICKETS AND DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO OLD A BRUSH. and he thinks part A goes on fisrt and then part B shurelly things are not wright. but???? At sea i can´t see it happening. AND IF IT IS HAPPENING!!!! NEXT PORT. LEAVE AND GO SOMWHERE ELSE.

Average 0 out of 5