Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Sick pay
emma
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:42 AM

Are yacht crew ever entitled to sick pay? What is the 'usual' arrangement for sick leave and pay for permanent crew?

Apologies for the general wording of the Question.

Thanks

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:49 PM
If I’ve ever been sick for what ever reason my pay remained the same, as for long term sickness I would imagine this would depend on the vessels medical insurance. In my experience crew rarely get sick. I’d be more concerned about work related injuries and workers compensation. If you go down with a cold or the flu and your boats cuts your pay you should stand your ground and get paid.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:02 PM
You are absolutely entitled to sick pay by law. It is stated as such with every flag state, although the monetary limits do differ. Call up the flag of registry in which the yacht is registered. Ask to speak to the Shipping Commissioner, Maritime Administrator, or a senior inspector. Give them the name of the yacht and state that you wish to invoke the "S.O.L. clause" regarding your employment. They will then ask you for your contact details and arrange a meeting with the captain. It should sort itself out from there. Good luck.
chrismlewis
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 10:20 AM

What is SOL Clause? From a quick google search it looks like it US related? The cost of sick leave is covered by the yacht's P&I policy whether it is illness or injury. I believe on red flagged boats that the length is limited to 6 six months - you will find this in your crew agreement. If you are off for a couple of days for a cold and the yacht stops your pay, I would suggest that you look for a better place to work...
MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:34 PM

There's no easy answer to this one. It entirely depends on (i) the yacht's flag, (ii) the law governing the contract of employment and (iii) what you have agreed with your employer. But, essentially, yes, crew are normally automatically entitled to limited sick pay after a certain period of sickness. Benjamin Maltby, matrixLloyd™.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 1:22 PM
LOL. HaHaHa S.O.L. = S**t Out of Luck

Average 0 out of 5