Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What to pack?(2)
Kim
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:17 PM

I am wondering what to pack...

Do uniforms usually come with shoes or should I pack a suitable pair of shoes to wear while working on the yacht? If so what should these look like?

Will dresses come in use? I have about 6 that I'm thinking of bringing. Most are cute sun dresses that I was thinking I could wear for dockwalking.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:35 AM
Oh boy.....if I'm not mistaken you will most likely work barefoot, in shorts and polo shirt, which you may need to bring yourself, if doing day work. The boat should supply a uniform for full time crew. The shorter the sun dress, the more chance you will have of finding work.
Miss B Haven
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 7:05 PM

If your looking for work, better bring something that spells your a working type. If your joining a boat, the boat will likely provide you with everything. However, I would bring a new, white, plain pair a sneakers just in case. As for the sun dress's, once again, are you looking for work or just want to have fun?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 8:23 PM
Treat this like any other job. Dock walking or an interview wear something reasonably smart. I agree with the sundress comment and don’t think it’s appropriate attire for Dock walking but I’m sure will come in handy at some stage and they don’t take up that much room in your luggage. Pack a shorts, pants and t-shirts that you can work in and pack some that you don’t mind getting dirty you might end up scrubbing out tanks or bilges. Most boats will give you a boat t-shirt to work in when dayworking. When you are hired you will be given uniform. Some boats have no shoes others will non marking shoes that they usually supply.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:38 AM
I think everything has been covered, yes bring a good outfit for dockwalking (captains what to see you look professional and see what you look like in a clean/ironed uniform) and interviews and long pants for night time interview with the owner for instance... bring a pair of brown deck shoes and white sneakers as suggested... as for all the comments about boats giving you a shirt to wear when day working, don't rely on that... I have done numerous dayworking stints over the years, one was for 5 weeks and no shirt, and another was 2 months finishing a refit while in the water and no t-shirt.. and my current 50m yacht, well I was here 9 weeks before the captain got uniforms for me... and even then I didn't get a collared shirt, items didn't fit properly, we threw the shoes that they got out after the first week... and all this was given to me 2 days before the owner and guests arrived... (and as I said he had 9 weeks to arrange it).. I only have 2 shirts and 2 pair of shorts, which doesn't last long when you go fishing in the morning and get blood etc on them and in the afternoon you dirty the second pair with nothing to wear after dinner when you are still on watch... (poor laundry girls working hard) the moral of the story is, take something to wear for daywork.. and yes you will get them very dirty.. take cream pants and white polo shirts to wear incase it takes a few days to get uniforms in.. (this shouldn't take to long if it is a good yacht and being in the SOF it is easy to get supplies) storage space in a crew cabin is very limited so not to many dresses.. you are there to work not a summer holiday.. and a backpack that collapses down flat enjoy

Average 0 out of 5