Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Do I have to pay?
kristofere
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:08 AM

MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:54 AM

Hi there. Thanks for your question. Let me get this straight. You agreed to take on a job - on the phone. So you had an employment contract in place. Then you decided to breach that contract by letting them down. Are you liable for the ticket? Much depends on the jurisdictions involved, but almost certainly, yes. You could also be liable for their further costs involved in finding a replacement crewmember. Sorry I can’t give you more positive news. Benjamin Maltby. matrixLloyd™.
kristofere
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:14 AM

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:27 AM
It really makes no difference whether you spoke to them on the phone, in person, or through e-mail. . fact is, you confirmed a start date. . They expected you to be there when you said you would. . How long did you expect them to wait to book a flight after you said YES to the job offer, and a date to start?. . Sorry but your fault here. . It is a very small industry as well, so skip out on payment, and it could come back to you. . .
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 4:37 PM
If the yacht booked a marine fare, the ticket would be fully refundable - I'd double check with them if I were you.
sean
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 5:08 PM

Hey...speaking from the point of view of someone who has been the hiring party, I agree that when you make a verbal or email (a legal standing document nowadays) stating you accept the job, you have made a obligation in good faith.  Always take time...even if its a job that they need to fly you out tomarrow for...and take a quiet 30 minutes to make sure you can ful-fill the agreement.

Also from the yachts point of view, they need to protect the ticket in any case (be it a merchant marine ticket which is fully refundable or insure the ticket for changes). 

Hopefully this is a un-commom issue with you, but the amicable thing to do would be to work with the yacht on resolving this

ratpack
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 5:52 PM

The decent thing to do would be to pay for the ticket - that is obvious. There are other ways around this though. The last boat i joined, i booked and paid for my own tickets and had the money refunded when I arrived. Of course, this doesn't stop the boat following the same actions as this potential employee. Be good to your word - or get a reputation!
MY MAO
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 6:47 PM

I agree! Paying for the ticket would be the honorable thing to do, esp as you changed your mind.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 8:21 PM
Check first if it was booked as a seamans ticket, which it should have been for your baggage allowance. These tickets are changeable/refundable so the employer should be fine. If they didnt book you a seamans ticket, well then they should have done, its their fault if they didn't. Although if they start to cry about it, then maybe you might have to bite the bullet and pay for it yourself as this is a small industry and word gets around. Next time make sure your 100% sure you want it before accepting a job.
heevahova
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 9:41 PM

Most likely your not worth chasing for the ticket fare, however if your integrity is worth anything in the matter...
chrismlewis
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 10:15 PM

My advice is to do as you would be done by! I hope you feel it was worth damaging your reputation over, but assuming that you do, be an adult and pay up. I hope you ended up with a better job or promotion? If it was only for an extra €100 a month then that would be a bad decision, right? Or was there some other reason that you bailed?
Troy Gardner
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 11:50 PM

The yacht should have spent a little bit more on your flight and purchased a one-way seaman's fare which would have then been fully refundable for them. Things like this happen all the time and they should cover themselves, because nothing in yachting is ever "carved in stone". I personally don't think you should have to pay it back and it is a lesson learned on the yacht's part. However, if the situation was discussed with you before they bought the ticket and you agreed to compensate for any costs if you ended up not showing, etc, then you should honor your word and pay it back. However, if you didn't give your word on this, then your word's not compromised. That's also how I feel about your "reputation". A yacht should be more savvy than that and should know how to recover costs for crew by booking marine fares and tickets which are fully refundable. Yachting is somewhat small but it's highly unlikely that anyone will remember it 2 weeks from now. If the Captain or agent kicks up a stink about it, offer to pay them in payments for the ticket, especially if you're short on funds at the moment. And if you say you'll pay it back, then do it! You are only as good as your word.
Peter Ho
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 11:24 AM

Of course you have to pay, what if the roles were reversed and you were offered a job, were told we will reimburse you for the ticket, and when you got there we gave the job to some else. I am confident you would be expecting more than just the price of the ticket as compensation. Crew need to stop looking at yacht owners as an endless source of money to be taken advantage of at every opportunity. I have seen a big change in the way crew view their owners over the last 10 to 15 years, and it is not heading in the right direction.
lava77
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 3:53 PM

Really... do you even need to ask this, if you do then you have some messed up morals. Be a man and pay the debt. You caused it, you pay it. your reputation is tarnished enough for reneging on an agreed contract, don't make it worse by not paying. This whole industry's employment is based upon reputation and word of mouth.
Capt Edward P
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 11:23 AM

I think you should check the ticket is not "marine one-way". It would be awful if the yacht were claiming a refund, and stitching you up too - by essentially taking your money even though they might have obtained a refund. If there are any fees or handling costs then you could offer to pay these. Capt Edward P.....hideousfrance.com

Average 4 out of 5