Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Visa required for Canadian searching for work in France?
Kim
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 3:53 PM

I plan on going to Antibes at the end of March to take my STCW95 course and search for a stew position aboard a yacht. I called a travel agent yesterday to book my flight but she told me I cannot fly to France with a one-way ticket because they will not let me into the country without a work visa or a return flight booked.

What are the visa requirements for Canadian citizens who are searching for work on a yacht in France? I have read a bit about the Schengen visa. Is this something I need to stay in the country or aboard a yacht long term? Can I get that visa without a job? If I get that visa, will it be possible to enter the country on a one-way plane ticket?

Please help. I am new to all this and don't want to end up in any sticky situations once I arrive. Thanks

Rose
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 2:41 AM

You can fly one way to France, but you have to be able to prove you can afford a ticket home and have somewhere to stay (I just get a bank statement stamped) As a Canadian you can't get a Schengen visa and don't let any one tell you you need a B1B2 because Canadians are exempt.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 12:38 PM
Rose

Canadians are definitely not exempt from the requirement of a B1/B2 visa if they enter the US on a private yacht.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 4:47 PM
Please see (for correct information, not mis-informed guesswork) http://www.visafrance.co.uk/doYouNeedAFrenchVisa.php Nationals from the following Non EU / EEA do not require a visa to travel to France for tourist purposes if their stay does not exceed 90 days: Andorra . Argentina . Australia . Bermuda . Bolivia . Brazil . Brunei . Bulgaria . Canada . Chile . Costa Rica . Croatia . El Salvador . Guatemala . Honduras . Iceland . Israel . Japan . Liechtenstein . Macau . Malaysia . Mexico . Monaco . New Zealand . Nicaragua . Panama . Paraguay . Romania . San-Marino . Singapore . South Korea . Switzerland . U.S.A . Uruguay . The Vatican . Venezuela As from June the 1st 2009, nationals from Mauritius, Seychelles, Barbados, Bahamas, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Christopher and Nevis are exempted from visa for stays up to 90 days in the Schengen States and the european territories of France As from the 2nd of Dec 2008 are allowed to enter without a visa in the DOM (Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guyana & Reunion) and COM (Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, Saint-Martin and Saint-Barthelemy)
Rose
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:19 AM

Hi Anonymous, as a Canadian who has worked on privately registered yachts in US waters, no we don't need B1/B2 visas, because if I did they wouldn't have let me through customs! If you're thinking of working on US flagged vessels, that is something completely different.
amira
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:30 PM

Just a note about B1/B2 visas. I'm a Canadian and Canadians automatically get a B1/B2 (visitor/foreign worker) stamp in their passport when they enter the US. This is a visa for some but a simple entry stamp for Canadians. If  you arrive at US customs with proof (like a letter) that you will be working on a foreign flagged ship in the US, the customs officer will stamp a B2. If you're coming in as a  tourist, it will be a B1. Canadians aren't exempt from the visa they simply don't have to apply for one before they enter the US but get that stamp at customs. Also, I think it's only a US visa and has nothing to do with the EU at all.

As a Canadian you do not need a visa to enter France if your stay is limited to 90 days. If you have not found work by that time you will have to leave France for the day and reenter to have your passport stamped anew for another 3 month extension. Make sure you leave by plane and pass through passport control seeing as your passport will not be stamped if you take ground transport within the EU.

Best of luck

Kim
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:10 AM

Thanks Rose and Amira. I ALMOST booked a return ticket today so you just saved me some money!!!! Thanks

Kim
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:39 PM

So I called the French embassy in Canada today to confirm this and they said that I must buy a return ticket and there is no such thing as showing a bank statement to get in. I think I will buy a return just to be safe. The change fee is $300 but its better than being turned around at the airport (and I have read some stories about that happening).
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:52 AM
I am a canadian who just entered the industry and am on my first yacht, currently in Mexico. My captain is insisting i get a B1/B2 Visa before we go back to the states. 2 other Europeans are flying to Santo Domingo to get their B1/B2s from my boat, and i am to go with them.  I have been told by  everyone that i do not need a B1/B2 and some people even say i cant get one. I have shown him the information on the US/Canada consulate website saying we are exempt but still insists i need one because we are coming in on a Private yacht and that changes everything. Please help! what do i do??

Thanks!
Lori

Average 0 out of 5