Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Urgently needing Schengen Visa for St Martin
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:19 PM
Joined: 19/07/2010
Posts: 3

Hi Guys, I am currently in Tortola in the BVI and desperately need to get hold of a schengen visa for St Martin, I am a South African citizen but did not know that I needed a visa before I left on delivery for Tortola and now that I am here I need to get a schengen before I can head to St Martin, I unfortunetley do not have lots of time here in Tortola as I am only allowed to stay until the 18th of March, Does anybody know where I can go or what to do to get a schengen? Thanks guys Manie
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:46 PM
Do you have to go in through the French side? From what I understand, you don't need a Schengen visa for the Dutch side of the island as it's not part of the EU as the French side is. From what I know:

For Paid Crew: A Seaman’s Discharge Book with a passport is acceptable documentation in lieu of a visa, accompanied by an Agent Guarantee Letter from a local St. Maarten yacht agent. Vessels will not be allowed to clear in if they have crew on the visa required list who have neither visa or Seaman’s Book.

For owners/crew/guests of private cruising yachts, visas are required of nationals on the visa required list.

The visa is what used to be issued to enter the Netherlands Antilles, whatever it's being called these days.

Hope this helps!

Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 7:07 PM
Joined: 12/08/2009
Posts: 4

If you enter thru the Fench side you would need a TOM DOM visa which is the Schengen (French) for their overseas territories. That you can get in any French consulate.
Thru the Dutch side is how the above guy wrote, Seamans book and guarantee letter form the agent of the yacht

Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 10:23 AM
Joined: 09/10/2008
Posts: 134

Contact Earl Wyatt at He is a local agent so will be able to give you up to date information and help you out as needed.
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 1:14 PM
Could some one clarify exactly what a TOM DOM visa is?

I mean, say you had a EU passport such as British, does that mean you can rock up to French Saint Martin and start working / rent somewhere to live etc?

Also, I think only the Fort Louis Marina is on the French side so from a crew / day workers perspective 9 out of 10 times the Dutch visa would be the one you want.

Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 2:01 PM
As mentioned before, Seamans Book and Guarantee Letter from Yacht Agent if you are on a boat, i.e. on someone's crew list. I used Shoresupport, Simon Manley, based out of Simpson Bay marina. I believe the cost is in the order of $65 (must still pay the bill thus do not know for certain). Alternative, when in Miami go to Dutch embassy and get a visa for StMaarten. In the Caribbean you can get it in Trinidad. The yacht agent letter is the easiest and cheapest option once you are in the Caribbean. I have found that nothing particular visa wise, or letter wise was required in St Barts for SA passport holder.
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 3:27 PM
Yep, $65 for letter. If you enter on a boat on the French side at Fort Louis marina you'll be able to clear with a seamans book and SA passport. Being able to clear does not mean that its absolutely correct in not having a visa, but it means it will work for clearing in. If you are not on a boat or don't have a seamans book you'll be treated like any other tourist and will have to comply with the visa regulations pertaining to your passport.
 Average 0 out of 5