Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Chef killed in St. Maarten
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 8:18 AM
yes, the torture they originally reported did happen. apparently the person who found him 'didn't even know' if he had eyes, due to the state he found him in. drug related or not, who cares???? someone who lives on the island of st. maarten, home to approx. 70, 000 people, tortured an innocent man in horrific ways and left him for dead. if that doesn't make you re-evaluate how you conduct yourself on a night off there...i can't think of what would. look out for eachother, because judging by the progress made in the investigation to date, no one else is going to.
David Linebaugh
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 3:02 PM

Our condolences to the family and crew of M/Y Cheetah Moon, may he rest in peace. Crew of M/Y Balaju
Capt Edward P
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 6:41 PM

Would be interesting to hear from yachts themselves as to whether they left or not , Peter Ho left, how many others.? Anyone? If anyone who left could just say with their MY or SY name - I will make a count over the next month and we can then see how many people actually voted with their feet.
chefrusso
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:12 PM

I for one am saddened that one of our brothers was murdered and all people can talk about is whether or not it involved drugs. (and believe me, it's not only in this forum) Why would you speculate on the circumstances of a murder, almost implying that the person deserved it in some sort of way? Is is to satisfy your own inflated ego? This man had a family, loved ones, and crew mates that now have to deal with this tragic loss. That's the real issue here; not whether or not you can prove that you're a good sideline detective. My heart goes out to you, brother, and I hope now that you've found peace. Your family, friends and crewmates are in my thoughts and prayers.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:19 PM
I have been in St. Maarten for the last ten seasons and my heart goes out to the young man and the family of the man who has lost his life. With that said, I believe I read the he had just arrived in St. Maarten the night before. I tell all of my crew before we get to St. Maarten what I know and have seen in my past years here. I tell them that St. Maarten will eat you up and spit you out if you allow yourself to party without any regard for your personal safety. That doesn't stop these crew members who eventually come back robbed, sexually abused etc. The last three seasons this has happened to three different crew members all within the first couple of days upon arriving her. They just can't wait to get all g'd up. This past season a stew of mine went out the night we got there, showed up to the boat the next day bruised and not knowing what happened to her. Chances are she was drugged! She had no business going out alone and was told that before she went. She was never the same person after that and is no longer working with us. The same happened to a male chef of mine a few years ago and one thing they all had in common was the went to the "St. Maarten Ballet" club in Simpson Bay. The drugs/boozin in St. Maarten are out of control with us witnessing it nightly outside the crew bar at the biggest marina in St. Maarten and that bar is supposedly for crew only. It's a party until it isn't a party anymore. The answer is simple. If you can't control yourself the maybe you should seek help and get off the stuff which is ruining or taking your life. We don't hear these stories taking place at noon time in Simpson Bay! Just sayin...
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 2:32 PM
I can think of few people in the world deserving of such a horrific act perpetrated against them or a loved one, no matter what their issues or situation.  Unfortunately there are evil people in the world who demonstrate that life means nothing to them. And the ONLY appropriate response today is for all of us in the yachting community, whether we knew this gentleman and his family or not, to reach out in condolence and support. The next appropriate response is to reach out to each other, as yacht family, in support of each other. This terrible act was against one of our own family, and shock, sadness, dismay, are all OK right now.

Then, as family, we need to make sure that this never happens again to anyone else.
But nothing will change unless we collectively effect the change. If we continue to go to these problem islands and spend our money, drink their liquor and eat their food, and yes, maybe even take their drugs, nothing will change and we make a mockery of this gentleman's life, and the way he died. I for one will not do that.

For such a heinous act to occur on such a small island shows that the government truly doesn't care. It didn't care about him, so why should it care about you. Except, for you it is not too late.

Yacht crews, yacht owners, brokers and even cruise ship companies should collectively stop from going to these problematic  places. There are plenty of other places to go that are safe and are willing to do what it takes to keep it safe.

But this isn't going to happen unless WE do something about it, now. We've waited too long. At least a week too long, if nothing else.

Yacht crew need to organize and be more vocal for their own safety and lives. How about a website, Twitter and Facebook as vehicles to do so? How about someone starting a revolutionary site on the web, Twitter and Facebook, and call it something nefarious, like crewsafety.org? (Believe it or not, there is no website called crewsafety.org. Be my guest, if it's for the benefit of us all.)

Look at the country grassroots revolutions that have occurred in the past year or two, all over the world, not just in the Middle East, by people who cared. Those governments didn't care about the people either. If popular revolt can topple governments, surely it can achieve some modicum of safety for you and all the tourists who visit these islands.
Concerned about your job? How about being concerned about your life, and the lives of your yacht family? Put yourself in this young man's place as whatever was happening to him was happening. Put yourself in his parent's and brother's and sister's place now, knowing how he died. Whatever happened, it was bad.

I feel sadness, outrage, anger, shock, and a whole host of other mixed emotions. The more I think about this reprehensible act, and the person involved, the more unsettled I become. And, no, I did not know him personally.  And I am in the industry. But I know you, and you and you and a lot of others reading this, and I know that I do not want it to happen to me or you. And I know that unless all of us vote with our feet and our money, nothing will change. In six months or a year, or a few seasons, people will say, "remember when"...Until you or I are the next when, and the cycle starts again.

We all have a moral responsibility to this gentleman, his family, our industry to at least try and prevent this from ever happening again. Let's figure out how to organize to do so. Don't think yacht owners and brokers won't take notice if every one of us refuse to go to unsafe places. We need to get the cruise ship companies to stop going to unsafe places too. Flood the cruise ship and travel blogs and cruise and travel review websites with the stories. And don't stop until the yachts, cruise ships and tourists pull out because no one wants to go where it isn't safe. .

The only way to fail is if we don't try. For all our sakes. Remember these governments don't care about you, they care about the money you and I,  and others, spend there. That's it.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 7:52 PM
finally someone has made an intelligent post. I too agree, that we should do something, if i was in st martin i would certainly be making sure the boat leaves and the authorities know why. sadly i have heard through friends on more than one boat that a) the captains did not even tell the crew about the murder, and when approached to inform the captain he said he knew about it, but he was not going to pull up anchor. i find this shocking. Surely you would inform your crew of how unsafe the place is, and tell them to be on their guard, curfew set, safety in groups etc etc. (i am sure there were resposible captains out there that did inform crew). We have so much power as yacht crew and all you have to do is apply pressure on the governement and tell that that you wont be returning next year and taking your business else where, i can promise you they will take notice...Everybody must do something and not sit on their hands... it could have happened to any of us and still could until we do something about it.
Capt Edward P
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2011 7:29 PM

Yep and no-one has come back to me for my survey either, telling me they left. Capt Ed.........hideousfrance.com
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:14 PM

The following press release was sent to Dockwalk from the St. Maarten Marine Trades Association with regard to a captains’ briefing held to discuss comments and concerns on safety and security in St. Maarten in light of the death of Chef Ludovic Guillevin.

On Wednesday, March 2, 2011, the St. Maarten Marine Trades Association (SMMTA) hosted a Captain’s security briefing at the Sandbar at the Yacht Club Isle De Sol to provide information and to get feedback from the vessels in port regarding the tragic death of Chef Ludovic Guillevin.   Board Members of the SMMTA, met with representatives of the Justice Department and subsequently the Chief of Police in order to express safety and security concerns and to press them for resources to not only solve this crime but to fight future crime on the Island. 

• The Captain’s briefing provided a productive exchange of ideas, comments and also concerns regarding safety and security on St. Maarten. From the many meetings held and attended by the SMMTA Board, several initiatives were immediately implemented, chief among them:
  • A private security company was hired to conduct nightly patrols along the popular nightlife strip in Simpson Bay between the hours of 10pm and 6am; the vehicular patrol team will include a K-9 unit. 
  • A FREE Crew Shuttle bus service is now running nightly between marinas and the popular night clubs from 9pm to 6am.  This initiative was organized by the SMMTA with assistance from members of the different Taxi Associations and is sponsored by various bars and nightclubs on the island.
  • The free shuttle bus will operate in conjunction with a Water Taxi to incorporate Yacht Club Port de Plaisance as well.
  • A Police Patrol Vessel has begun to operate within the lagoon and outside in the harbor.
  • Improved Street Lighting has been requested.

The SMMTA will maintain its dialogue with the Justice Department to ensure improved safety and security for all on St. Maarten.  We take this opportunity to remind everyone, to avoid unregulated “gypsy” cabs, that there is safety in numbers, and to remain vigilant and aware of your surroundings no matter what port you are in.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:33 PM
I believe that the Anonymous posts from 07 March 2011 (yesterday) at 14:32hr and 19:52h are basically saying the same thing. It's up to us, as individuals and collectively, to do something. Both posts also make the point that next time, the victim could be you (or me). The post of 14:32h talks about the power of the internet and setting up a non-commercial website specifically to promote crew safety. Prior posts refer to captains who made executive decisions not to inform their crews about the murder and not to pull anchor. Do these captains not have at least a moral responsibility, if not legal one, to inform their crews of danger or issues above and beyond that one reasonably expects in a port-of-call? Part of the post from yesterday at 14:32h suggests we make more use of technology (crew safety website, twitter, facebook, etc.) to take care of each other. If the captains won't take care of their crews, then the crews in an area should at least inform each other of what is going on as soon as adequate information is known. Knowing that their crews are informed by alternate means pressures captains to be more proactive with informing  their crews of these types of issues, even if for whatever reason they might not want to. As both posts say, if we don't do it, who will? Who's next?

Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:26 AM

Well it does sound like some concrete measure have been taken here, but as someone says, still do not get in to gypsy cabs and do not lower your guards. It is obvious they have seen the internet and the exposure they have been given. It is a shame that someone had to die in order for it to have to improve,but I guess that this is "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" and if anything will make it improve, it is the death of someone even though he/she might have been totally innocent. I hope the French family will somehow see that others might be protected in the future - although obviously it does not bring Ludovic back for them - Capt Ed....... hideousfrance.com

Average 4.5 out of 5