Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Chef killed in St. Maarten
Janine
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 10:06 PM

Dockwalk has received reports that a chef in St. Maarten died this past weekend from injuries sustained from a brutal beating. Reportedly, he was found at 6 a.m. on Saturday, February 26 on the beach at Mullet Bay. According to reports from TheDailyHerald.com, the chef was treated on scene and later, due to the extent of his injuries, was airlifted to Martinique. He was pronounced dead at approximately 8 p.m. that evening.

This case currently is under investigation.

Read the full article from TheDailyHerald.com here.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 10:07 PM
My thoughts go out to the crew, the victims family and his friends of this young man. May he rest in peace. I can only hope that the super yachts who are currently in SXM have the guts to up their anchors and leave as a sign of protest against the more and more frequently happening acts of crime against crew members in SXM. It is appalling that things like this have to happen before anyone stands up and fights it. I'm Dutch and ashamed that my countries government has let St. Maarten get so out of hand. Corruption, greed and crime seem to go hand in hand on this island. Antigua being another crime infested example. We yachties need to make our owners aware that the Caribbean is no longer a safe haven for their crew and their vessel.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 10:08 PM
Without going into the horrendous details, apparently this poor guy was tortured and left for dead. It can happen to anyone that stumbles out of soggies or any one of the bars along the Islands. Take care of your crew mates, the authorities cannot.
MattSole
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 11:27 PM

I have spent the last 9 winters in St Marrten. This is my first winter not there.

I have walked along all those roads at all times of day and night. Never a problem.

The only time crew ever get the crap kicked out of them is when they are buying drugs. Its that simple.
Yes all yachts up anchors in disgust, your crew members must be able to buy their coke in a safe environment. Lets go to Antigua ooops, cant go there that's definitely not a safe place to buy drugs!
What ever.

Just in case it isn't clear enough my name is Matt Sole. No anonymous bull here.

Mike O'Neill
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:03 AM

Firstly my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims’ family, crew mates and friends. This is a terrible crime, no matter what the circumstances, and such barbaric acts cannot be tolerated in any society, not matter who is involved. This is a dark day for St Maarten on a whole, not just for the yachting fraternity. Everyone suffers from crimes like this, especially the local businesses and industries. St Maarten needs to wake up, smell the proverbial coffee, and clean up its act! That all said, we (Captain’s & Managers) need to step up and take more responsibility for our crew members’ safety and well being. There, I said it. Yes, we cannot control what a deckhand does at 11pm coming out of a nightclub, but we can do more to educate crew and steer them in the right direction. Whether we like it or not, we have responsibilities. I speak from experience, loosing a fellow crewmember is one of the most painful and difficult experiences a captain can endure during his/her career. And even if such a loss is totally out of our control, we are still accountable. So lets try and make a better effort to take care of our crew. Whether it means drilling "the do’s and don’ts" into them, or offering them safe transportation (crew vehicle), or talking the boss into taking the yacht to a safer environment, there are many ways that we can do better to offer crew a safer and more enjoyable work & living environment. Lets not jump to conclusions and just blame St Maarten here. Yes, they need to address the current crime wave with urgency. But there is always another side to the story, and lets all make a better effort to do our part. Once again, my sincerest condolences to the chap's friends and family. RIP.
Chef Peter
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:06 AM

l cannot believe this happened! Condolences from the Crew Of M/Y Rena!
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:36 AM
Well congratulations "Matt Sole" on never having the "crap kicked out of you" in St Martin. Neither have I, but I'm not sure if it's because I am 6' 4" or don't do coke!! Even if you are right, have some respect. It's that simple!
MattSole
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:56 AM

[Comment removed by moderator]

Egbert
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:55 AM

Mr Sole, (although I think it might be appropriate if I were to drop the "M"). A person was murdered in a particularly horrific fashion with no apparent cause beyond the recent escalation of violence - unreported kidnappings, murders as well as a spate of robberies and assaults directed at crew members. Using this forum to make a point about your personal gripes is both disrespectful to the memory of this guy and in poor taste without parallel. [Comment removed by moderator]

Cabbage
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:03 AM

This is an absolute tragedy. I send my sincere condolences to the family and friends of the victim. This guy was tortured to death. I wonder what the murderer(s) wanted from him to commit such an evil act. May he rest in peace.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:43 AM
Matt Sole, You obviously deserve some credit for spending nine winters in St Maarten without any problems. I'm sure your wit and strength to say No has served you well. I'm sure if you also look at the employment history of the poor Cheetah Moon chef you will also see many carribean Seasons under his belt. And until this weekend nothing had happened to him either. Knowing of him personally he is not a heavy drug taker, if a drug taker at all. And when did 'picking up', whether in F.L the Med or Carribean result in a horrific kidnap and torture. Palma Mallorca has really come to a standstill over this horrific news and i just want everybody to stop speculating on 'why' this happened and to spare a few thoughts for his family and his girlfriend who is flying out to collect the body. R.I.P
Cabbage
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:17 AM

http://www.thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/14258-murdered-chef-wasnt-tortured.html

Egbert
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:12 AM

Matt Sole, i applaud your contempt for the anonymous poster, for that reason I am sure the person posting under the name of Soley at the following forum http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=119290 Could not possibly be you. Trolling around different sites and posting vile and unsubstantiated accusations would just be creepy. I'm sure you would agree?
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:03 PM

According to TheDailyHerald.com, the allegation that the chef was brutally tortured is an exaggeration by the media. The Daily Herald also reports to have spoken with a crewmate of the deceased. According to the chef's crewmate, three crewmembers from M/Y Cheetah Moon went to Jimbo's bar on Friday evening then returned to the vessel. The crewmember said that the chef then went out again on his own around midnight. TheDailyHerald.com states that it is believed that the chef got into a gypsy taxi around Airport Boulevard. The chef was found at Mullet Bay on Saturday with severe head injuries and stab wounds.

While the exact details of the case are not yet known, Dockwalk encourages all crewmembers in the Caribbean to be vigilant.

Dockwalk spoke to a captain a few years ago at a USSA event in St. Maarten who warned of gypsy taxis. A surveyor from London, after completing work on his boat, got into a gypsy taxi by mistake and was driven to a remote location. He was severely beaten, but survived. 

sean
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:36 PM

This is a regrettable situation.  Thoughts and condolences go out to family and friends of this member of our profession.

First from the statemenst I see above...I'll say that obviously anyone buying drugs in these areas is tempting their own fate, and anyone [comment removed by moderator] who believes they can walk anywhere in St. Marrten day or night is an imbecile. 

This is a sincere reminder to all to reflect on being safe in these remotes areas we travel too.  Those who can rememeber back, Antigua was the yachting capitol of the Carribean before St. Maarten.  With the influx of big boats and big money, the crime escalated.  Yacht crew deaths alone were getting common. With its development, everthing shifted more over to St Marrten and since then it has a un-published history of crew bring robbed, attack and killed than most are un-aware. 

Captains dont want to be tyrants and force curfews, but educating crew to be smart, stay in groups at night is a must.  Policies on crew looking out for each other need to be put in play.  Even basic street smarts need to be refreshed and imprinted on all (especially the novices).   When walking from Isle de Sole or Simpson Bay to Lady C or Soggy Dollar..walk with people.  When its getting late over at Bliss and somehow your by yourself...dont leave alone.  Have a way to always communicate with other crew or back to the boat.  Basics need to be implemented

Furthermore, be aware that you cannot always trust the police in these places.  The locals themselves will tell you they never call the police in times of emergencies, just the fire department.  Froom personal experience I can say the General practicioners in Marigot will tell you they have treated many a yacht crew to broken bones and rib cages, cortousey of the Phillipsburg police departments prejudices against yacht crew. 

These are my thoughts...lets be reminded from this tostay safe in our travels...

cheffy
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:47 PM

Such devastating news. My heart goes to his family, friends, crew members - it is so sad that not only the yachting world lost someone important, but it also left a culinary void.
captain paul
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:28 PM

I think it's important to post the horrible torture the chief endured, please post it or I will! People need to be shocked into reality, What could this poor individual have done to deserve this, sad.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:59 PM
First off Iwould like to applaud Mr. Sole!!!!!! It's about time someone brings the stubject up like he did .... I'm not trying to down the Deseaced and I'm not speculating that he was out buying drugs, but it is a very well know fact  that a lot of crew memembes have a nose candy problem. and St Maarten is the place to be.  People turn a blind eye to this problem and its only when stuff like this happens do the clueless sheep start to ask questions. I have spent my fair share of time in St Martin and I have never had a problem like the one I have heard in recent times. My condolences
go out  to this crew member's family and friends.

Capt Edward P
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:18 PM

---------------------- Poor Ludovic, he must have felt very alone as he was set upon, in a foreign country with people no doubt taunting him in a different native language. I would hate to be in such a situation myself, knowing one's life was just fading away. I only hope he lost consciousness quickly. RIP C Ed..................hideousfrance.com
Ricardo wong
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:18 PM

my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims’ family, crew mates and friends, and i hope all the yachts leave that island as protest for lack of security.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:35 PM
Matt Sole....Since my comments were removed by the moderator and yours were not, I will put it a little bit nicer... you are not a nice person! Who gave you the right to first accuse the deceased of buying drugs and then say that he deserves this punishment. Are you a police offiicer? Do you have any evidence that he was buying drugs? If the answer is no, then you have no right to be commenting about this! And since you are not in SXM this season and have not seen the current situation of the island, you have absolutely nothing to say. [Comment removed by moderator].......Furthermore, you do not need to be ranting your personal opinions and wild conjectures on these informative forums! Learn some manners....if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all!

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:54 PM
The friendly island, my ar$e! St Maarten has been such an unsafe place for yachties for such along time. And it is not always about drugs. Crew who are cashed up have been a target for the 'have nots' for a long while now and the authorities just don't seem to care. Yes, trouble can happen anywhere and crew should always be vigilant. In the words of Jerry Springer... Take of yourselves and each other!
Russell
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:54 PM

In Antigua, everyone is so shocked by this, that they don't even want to talk about it. The feelings of everyone here go out to the Ludovic's family, girlfriend, friends, and of course, his fellow crew. Whatever the reason (not that there can ever be a valid reason for what was done to him), it is totally unacceptable to all. This is no normal so-called 'drugs killing'. This was the work of a deranged psychopath, whether doing this off his own back, or doing this as part of a mob killing. There is no place for this in our society. Now this has been done once, no one will feel safe until this person/people are caught. No one should shield them. Antigua has had its own bad press for murders involving the yachting community in the last decade, although nearly all of these were probably drugs related. Antigua has taken big strides in the right direction in protecting the yacht crews, although of course there is still a way to go. The Government of Sint Maarten has to learn from this, and as many other people have posted, the crews must stay together to stop people being alone on island at night. Who knows what happened on Friday evening - EVERYONE on these islands, locals, holidaymakers, crew, have to think about this. This happened in Sint Maarten - as all the islands depend on tourism as an income, whether from yachts or cruise ships, it is possible that this could have happened on another island - and still may. WE HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED God Rest Ludovic's Soul, and may he now Rest In Peace
MARCO
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:01 PM

Matt Sole.... question: was Drew Gollan buying coke when he was shot protecting his child and girlfreind (if you dont know he was the captain of sy Perseus) Oh and how about the wife of a chef that was put in the trunk of a car and raped and murdered in Puerto rico not to mention at least 20 other rapes around the carribbean that has happend in the past the list goes on with countless other crimes towards us. Everyone enjoys having a good time in their own way wether with or without drugs for you to speculate this poor guy was in to that scene is pretty low of you, the yachting industry is just an industry its not made up of saints but what industry is, Do you think the crew of your flight home from st maarten sat on the beach drinking evian or where they dancing on tabletops the night before they left. Just something to think about.
Henri van Biljon
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:33 PM

Whether it was drug related or not, this type of thing should not happen. The authorities in SXM are to lax when it comes to dealing with this sort of thing. I lived there for 3 years, and this type of violence was rife. There are constant muggings and murders, but crew be aware that you are targets, as you are displaying money, as are tourists. As for action, well they respond best to threats of a financial type! Yachties have serious clout if they are prepared to show their solidarity, and threaten the marinas and the chandleries with boycott. No yacht income into SXM means that their economy will be hurt seriously.
Author
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:04 AM

It is imperative that all yacht crew be careful, no matter if you are in a foreign port or at home.
As a yacht chef for over 20 years, take precautions, keep your eyes and senses about you and if you do go out, don't go alone.  If you don't feel comfortable, get out of there immediately.
You never know what is the mind of others so you have to be on your guard which is sad but unfortunately, it seems that is what we are living in,
Having lost a friend who was a Yacht Chef, happened in Puerto Rico, to a murder a couple of years ago, I hope I don't know this chef.
She was jogging on the beach and it seemed harmless and the chef who wrote that it was probably drug related is assuming too much at this point.
To assume a place is safe is nuts.  Your setting yourself up.  You have to make it safe for yourself.

Paul
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:27 AM

For those of you who don't know the story or the chef involved especially you Matt Sole. The murdered chef was not trying to buy drugs and actually never snorted cocaine.
Nicola Rohland
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:57 AM
Matt Sole is a troll (someone who roams sites and posts comments on controversial topics to stir people up) so ignore him and don't engage with him. Trolls get some kind of sick satisfaction from upsetting and angering people in the cyber world.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:32 PM
[comment removed by moderator] what the guy was doing is not the issue right now he was kidnapped and murdered....and it doesn't really feel like much is being done....only last night a picture of him was published by the police asking for help nearly a week after the incident...also all the stories in the press where did they come from???? i think its up to the police to set things straight.....i personally would like to know if theres a sicko preying on yachties or if its just a mugging....dont get me wrong both are terrible but quite different...also there doesn't seem to be much action taken by the yachting community either..i dont know what they could do but something.its a big deal!!!one of us was murdered!!!!
Captain Robert Lowden
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:04 PM

Condolences to the family, friends, and crew mates of this poor VICTIM. This is a tragic event that must not go without penalty, not only for the cowards that killed him but also for St. Maarten as a whole. We have been in SXM for over 2 months and have dumped roughly $175,000 USD into the economy but that will stop on Friday when we leave for the rest of the season. I encourage all of the other yachts who can to do the same, even if you only go on anchor for a few days if everyone does it, it will make the point. It is a shame that the the honest hard working residents will suffer but they are the ones who must force change. As for you Matt Sole I'm sorry you didn't get the attention you craved from your parents as a child but I'm not going to give you any either. Your the worst of humanity. You should find a job cleaning toilets that way you can work more closely with your kind you POS.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:00 PM
I heard last night a rumour that he maybe was visiting a brothel. If this is the case, could this be the work or some depraved pimp? Has anyone thought of that possibility, rather than the drugs angle, which seems unlikely with this guy?
Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:49 PM

Oh come on, this sort of hysteria is getting ridiculous. First drugs and now sex. Spare a thought for his girlfriend who may one day stumble upon these posts, and also his family. As regards what we can do about it, how about a collection towards the girlfriend's travel costs / or even the cost of shipping his body home. ANYONE? I am not particularly happy with the French at the moment but this does not mean I am devoid of sympathy for the family of this chap. Capt Ed ..................
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:32 PM
Well, Capt Ed, if we can't postulate in an open manner, this is not very much of a forum. We are simply trying to ascertain why this attack happened, for the benefit of everyone else. If we can't do that, then no one will feel safe. It is better to find out that it was an attack with a motive, however shady, than to find out that it was a completely random happening. As for 'spare a thought for the girlfriend' - we are all thinking of her, and his family and friends. What about, 'spare a thought as to WHY this happened?
Michael
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:12 PM

The love of my life is a Chef who just recently left St Marrten. Sometimes the only comfort I get is knowing that the other crews will look out for her and each other. I think this forum is the wrong place to say anything other than prayers for the family and friends of this poor Chef. My heart goes out to those greaving.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:19 PM
i agree completely. my boyfriend is also a chef, and i know he has stumbled back to the boat drunk in st. maarten many times...i cannot stop thinking about the fact that it could've been him...it could have been ANY of us, and anyone who thinks differently is being naive...or idiotic. everyone knows what it's like there, everyone likes to have a good time, and this is a sad wake up call to everyone who lives or works there. look after eachother. and yes, i think a fund of some kind is a great idea. maybe someone could get something started on facebook?
tubby
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:19 PM

Always sorry to hear of the loss of one of the industries members, my condolensces to the family and friends of "chef"
Having said this, isn't it time for Yachties to stop thinking of the carib as an adult disneyland?
As an ex creature of the night I will give this piece of advice to my fellows. You aren't tough , you aren't mean, and unless you are packing (which you better not be!) you have no business going out alone at night anywhere between bimini and venezuela. There are monsters out there and they live in the shadows and wait for an opportunity, you know, for you.

Lastly since it has been a tough three years, howz-a-bout we all give one another a little break. Maybe if there was a little less hot-shot know-it-all-itis out there and a little more hey mate how you holdin up this season? , we may not have to read about another tragedy.

tubby
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:56 PM

[comment removed by moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:23 AM
[ Please keep all posts polite and constructive. • Do not post personal attacks, insults, libel or anything else that could cause offense to someone else. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. • Sectarian, sexist or racist posts will not be tolerated in any way. • Do not use swear words in posts. • Keep on topic: all threads should be part of the relevant forum and responses to a particular thread should be on topic and pertain to the discussion. You should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion that would otherwise be off topic in the current thread. • Please refrain from using single word or very short posts that don’t add anything to the discussion. They make scrolling through threads to see valid replies more difficult. • If you have any concerns about a particular post use the Report Post button or send an email to one of the Dockwalk team. Click here for our contact details • Forums, blogs and other posts should not be used to "name and shame" companies or individuals with whom you've had a bad experience. • If any member is found posting multiple times under different identities in any one topic, with an intention to steer the conversation to satisfy a personal agenda, moderators reserve the right to delete the posts without warning. • Forums, blogs and other posts should not be used to promote a product or service unless it is in response to a specific question posed by a member. Blatant advertising that has not been pre-approved by the moderators will be removed. • Do not use forums, blogs or other posts to criticize the moderators or moderation decisions that have been made. If you have any questions or concerns about our forum moderation, contact us directly. Click here for our contact details • Dockwalk reserves the rights to edit, move or delete posts that we feel are in breach of these guidelines. We also reserve the right to ban any member who consistently violates these guidelines or disrupts our community. We will provide warning in most cases. Note: these guidelines are not exhaustive and may not address all manner of inappropriate behavior. As such, the website moderators shall have full discretion to address any behavior that they feel is inappropriate. If you have any questions about these guidelines, please send us an email: support@dockwalk.com

Tom C
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:08 AM

[Comment removed by moderator] Great! another highly intelligent post. ACTUALLY MATE i think you'll find that all of us here care about murder/violent crime in any part of the world afflicted on any race or creed. The thing just happens to be that this is a website dedicated to those who work in the 'Yachting Industry' and therefore the murder of a 'Yacht Chef' who many of of know is a crime close to all of us. Please be intelligent enough to realise this and to leave your remarks elsewhere. Spare a thought for the family and his gf who might come to this website looking for messages of condolence and instead stumbling across your stupid comments.
Capt Edward P
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:59 AM

Well said Tom C. .................Capt.Ed
Capt Edward P
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:12 AM

Well Anonymous ( you posted: 02 March 2011 17:32) I am not denying that this is a forum and that we are all trying to find out why, but what I was trying to say was that the more we perpetuate this seedier ( and I mean this in a liberal way everyone) sort of tittle tattle then it is just going to light up all over the 'net for years to come like some massive GoGo light. In Yookay we are now hearing about Derek Bird, an absolute nutter who went on a shooting spree last year in June, blasting people in the face through their car windows. You can read at anorak.co.uk here http://www.anorak.co.uk/249857/media/derrick-bird-hon-the-thai-bride-and-more-steven-seagal.html and the reasons why he did it (allegedly) and it makes sorry reading. We only have to assume that the peoples who did the chef over felt screwed over enough by something to feel so twisted enough to enjoy the depravity they exhibited. As someone said in this forum " the other stuff I can understand.... BUT THE NIPPLES"???? There is obviously some sort of perversion going on here, so the peoples concerned need some help. At least they didn't cut anything else off as a final ignominy making him any less of a man.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:20 AM
Obviously people just want to

Capt Edward P
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:46 AM

Hi anonymous - I am sorry - what do you mean by people just want to.............. did you lose the rest of the message? please repost thanks
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:55 AM
Everyone wants to know why this happened to Ludovic.

I can understand why people in some ways want to think that his killing could have been related to drugs, prostitution or something else untowards as this at least means the same is less likely to happen to any one of us out alone in St Maarten late at night.

One thing is for sure, some people on the island knows who did this and for an island that is so motivated by money I'm sure that if the Captain / Management / Owner of the Cheetah Moon offered a substantial cash reward for information that led to the arrest of the those responsible that people would swiftly come forward.

I'm not saying that there was any fault on the vessels part with regards to their responsibility for protecting their crew, however given that they did have a duty of care anything that they can now do to bring justice to the situation is a small price to pay to bring closure to Ludovic's friends and family and piece of mind to crews and tourists that visit the island for years to come.

As for bringing him back to France, surely a lot of you will be embarking on a voyage back to the Med shortly anyway.

Jacobupstairs
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:29 PM

Dear All
I have read alot of these comments and am very saddened at the recent tragic death of Ludovic. Heart felt condolences to his family and friends.
To all the yacht crew out there [comment removed by moderator] To everyone else... I have been a yachtie in the Carribean on and off for 16 years and far too many incidents of rape, murder and robbery have occured to yacht crew. What we all have to realise is that when we step off the yacht and head out into the night, we are leaving our safe little coccoon that we all exist in. We become white(for the most part) tourists with fists full of cash to throw about(we have all done it) big rounds of drinks fancy meals, expensive watches etc.... it is very obvious when viewed from afar. We have no reason to expect any kind of "special treatment" in terms of our(yacht crew) safety. We have to look out for each other and be aware of the environment we are in. If we were in our home cities London etc we would be much more carefull about who saw our fistfulls of cash and were we went wearing $3000 watches, jewellery etc....The Caribbean islands, although a playground for the rich are on the whole poor, un-developed and are suffering very high unemployment, having been hit hard by the recent worlwide economic downturn. I have no idea whether Ludovic was involved in drug use as has been suggested, and unless this becomes a fact proven during an investigation, it is not fair to speculate. Drug use is a part of yacht life as it is a part of life everyware.. yacht crew bring their drug use behavior with them from their home life and continue it in this yacht life too. The problem is that if you choose to buy drugs in a foreign land no matter where that is you are putting yourself at huge risk, you dont know who these people are, and by the very nature of the business you are going to be dealing with someone who is undoubtably violent, criminal and untrustworthy. So to all of you, wake up to the fact that you are a target to muggers... they know you are yachties, they know you have money and they know you might be lured into a vulnerable situation by the offer of drugs... dont do it!!! You are not as street wise as you may think you are and you will lose in these situations.!! I hope we all learn from the tragic death of Ludovic RIP.

ratpack
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:27 PM

Matt Sole - congratulations on your post - at least you had the guts to say what you thought and also to leave your name alongside, whether you are right or wrong, the debate will continue for a long time It is of course wrong to accuse this poor fella of getting mixed up in a drug deal without any evidence to support your claims. However, you may suspect a drug link. There is a massive difference between the two. About this time last year, a tourist was found with her throat cut in her car on a beach just outside Antigua Yacht club, the man arrested was a known drug dealer. The previous year to that also in Antigua a man was shot, the man arrested also a known drug dealer. A good friend of mine who works as an armed response officer in the uk tells me that whenever a hideous level of violence is involved, more than 90% of the time, it is drug related. From my experience i suspect this too may be drug related but until any evidence comes to light to support it - i certainly wouldn't tarnish that poor fellas name - I would suggest no-one else does either. The caribbean is of course a hotbed of opportunity for criminals. Rich home owners, tourists and of course the yachting fraternity - who all too often can flash their wealth around. It is no surprise that locals will turn to crime to survive. How to address the situation? I suspect the local police are in cahoots with these dealers, lets be honest, walk along the street outside of soggy's of a night and there will be a handful of locals calling out 'charlie' or 'taxi'. It would be very easy to remove these people from the streets - so why is it not happening? We have all been greeted on the dock while fixing lines or paserelles by a local offering 'anything you want - i can get it'. No demand - no supply I am stunned by some peoples attitude towards security. Recently a boat was burgled by means of a key left outside. Less than a week afterwards, one of our crew members asked me if it would be ok to leave a key under a mat for other crew members to use !!!!!! The same crew member can regularly be seen getting into unliscenced taxi's. Add to that the fact that i have had to pick up and carry back to the boat two of our female crew who were too drunk to walk. As crew, we have options to look after ourselves but as soon as feet hit the dock, all sense of security seems to disappear in favour of getting completely munted. I would like to think that as a yachting community we would all lift anchors and go somewhere else - the only way to make the authorities do something is to hit them where it hurts - in the wallet, nothing else will do. Now, how many yachts have left because of this event ? I suspect none, so all the talk of solidarity in this industry appears to be just hot air. Its all too easy to voice our opinions in cyber space but lets not forget that actions speak louder than words. We are all too busy lining our pockets from very well paid jobs to stick our necks out and say 'no - i won't go there' I doubt any owner would object to a little extra on the fuel bill to ensure his yacht and crew safety - go somewhere else, there are plenty of places to choose from. Whatever your opinion on these events and postings, please be safe. Common sense, you are in a country that is foreign to you - culture, language, law and order are all different to your home towns. Don't go alone, don't go in unliscenced cabs, don't get so completely munted that you cannot think straight before entering dangerous situations.
Capt Edward P
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:17 PM

[content edited by moderator] [I just read a story at Synfo.com sent to me tonight that says] that the victim's eyes WERE now gouged out and his teeth were removed. This does tend to differ with the Captain's account. He said he had seen the victim still alive and that he had not had his eyes gouged out. Interesting stuff.. Captain Ed.......................PS and now I have seen it, what about this earlier report posted here at Dockwalk http://www.thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/14258-murdered-chef-wasnt-tortured.htm Why is the moderator trimming my messages, Dockwalk is part of yacht Report isn;t it?? Oops maybe not, but we should be able to include previous news items from whomever without censorship - please!
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:55 PM
my sympathies go out to all the family friends and crew that knew the chef that was sadly murdered in st maarten. first of all i would like to point out that the two murders in antigua have not been proved to be drug related so please those that do not know stop speculating, it is tarneshing the names of the deceased, who some of us still mourn. secondly, after these two murders, the goverment of antigua have taken action and have ensured that we, the yachting community, will feel safer here in antigua. we now have police out on patrols at all times of night. Bars and nightclubs late night licenses are being looked at. CCT cameras have been implemented, as well as street lights so that you are not in the dark when walking home. The police are doing a wonderful job, and i really do feel alot safer. I hope it continues.. as it really should never have lapsed in the first place. So for those still banging on that antigua is no longer safe, i think that is an unjust comment. i think there is a long way to go, and time will only proove this. we can also never get rid of all crime, sadly our world has lots its innocense on that front. St maarten on the other hand i do think is unsafe at this present time, perhaps it should start realising how much money the yachting community brings in and start ensuring yacht crews safety. Police should be seen on the streets, along that strip. I think that the yachts in st maarten should put pressure on the local community that rely on yachts for their income (which was done in antigua - we even had the prime minister come down for a private audience with the yacht captains) and i strongly believe that st maarten and antigua can become safer destinations for all. I dont want everyone to start commenting that this is an antigua/st maarten competition because its not, we should look at the bigger picture, if we both are looked at as unsafe, then we both loose out. so lets join together and try and make both safer destinations.. and only we as crew can do that by putting pressure on the community! captains start having meetings with the head of police!!!!
Peter Ho
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:31 PM

[comment removed by moderator] We like many other yachts left St Maarten in protest. This is a small industry, we all know one another either by name or yacht we work on. We all feel the the crew and family of the poor young man who was murdered, you must be assured that Mr. Sole speaks for only himself. Peter J Ho Manager
andy 1
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 12:23 AM

Absolutley gutted for this young fellow, we were moored next to them in porto cupecoy and we got to know them and he would not of hurt a fly, i really felt empty at the news of his murder, and my heart and mind sincerely go to his family and of course his crew who are all im sure inconsoleable right now.

Average 4.5 out of 5