Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
So every body has perfect A/C/
Reeferman
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 11:23 PM

Judging by the lack of posts, am I to assume that all is well on the A/C systems of the world?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:09 AM
The 50m+ vessel I'm currently on is 8 years old and has been in the tropics for the past couple of years. When I first stepped onboard I smelled the horrible musty, moldy smell coming out of the air conditioning vents. Out of curiosity I pulled the filters of the air handlers out and found that they were absolutely black. Obviously hadn't been changed in a while. No gel airs, like I had on previous boats. My question is how often does the pipes of the fresh air intake and the pipes of the cooling system have to be cleaned out. I have been on board for 3 months now and I'm waking up every morning with puffy eyes and shortness of breath like when you have the flu. (to clarify:I don't smoke nor drink). I'm very worried that these health issues are related to the lack of maintenance on the air conditioning system. The crazy thing is that after a while you get used to the smell, but that doesn't mean it is not there and harming the crew. I'm not looking for advice on how to disguise the smell, but I would like to know if there are companies who come on board to check the air and check for signs of legionella ect. Thanks
Joe R
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:43 PM

Hello Anonymous The maintenance i find sometimes regarding air filters and clean ducts would surprise the heck out of you. We do a lot of service to systems that have been ignored and the best results would come from removing the air handlers cleaning the ducts and treating both the ducts and the return air plenums with a bioside to prevent mold ect. we then dissasembvle and thouroughly clean the air handlers and the blower wheels. If you are not willing to do this entire prosses the problem will keep returning. As far as good air quality after all has been cleaned we highly recomend the new BREATH EASY in line duct Purifier from Dometic. See the video below. We have installed these on a number of vessels and have had outstanding feedback from the Owners and Crew for the most part there breathing issues were completly cured also see a testimonial i have added below. For more info contact me at Joer@beardmarine.com
Joe R
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:48 PM

Mold is the silent scourge of the South, especially when it comes to boats that are left unattended on the water for any period of time. There are various mold and mildew remedies on the market, but few are as elegantly engineered as the new In-Duct Breathe Easy Air Purifier from Dometic, manufacturer of Cruisair and Marine Air air-conditioning units, as well as a host of other marine products. The folks at Boating Writers International (BWI) and the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) must agree, because they gave it a 2010 IBEX Innovation Award in the Mechanical Systems category at the International BoatBuilders Exhibition (IBEX) in September. The In-Duct Breathe Easy Air Purifier is a cylindrical system designed to fit inside a boat’s regular air-conditioning ducting. “You take the existing ducting, cut it, and slide the Breathe Easy tube inside,” said Dometic Project Engineer Bill Liptak. Since the system is sized according to the diameter of the AC ducting, it is appropriate for use aboard any boat from 30 to 300 feet and longer. The Breathe Easy unit can be installed during the original construction process – as Trinity Yachts is currently doing on two big new build projects – but it is also easy for a qualified service yard to retrofit onto an older boat. “It’s really simple technology; it’s all in how we engineered it,” Bill said. As air circulates through the In-Duct Breathe Easy Air Purifier, a non-ozone-producing UV light destroys the DNA of bacteria, spores and other contaminants, significantly reducing related odors. Contaminants also are destroyed when they touch the system’s three-dimensional Photocatalytic Nano-Mesh panel, which is coated with titanium dioxide. The more passes the air makes through the system, the more purified it becomes. The Environmental Diagnostics Laboratory, an independent testing facility, recently reported its findings that the Breathe Easy system reduces indoor air pollutants overall, including up to a 100-percent reduction of bacteria, surface mold and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Early word-of-mouth feedback is good. “The captain of a Cheoy Lee had the system installed just before he went to lunch, came back two hours later, and already noticed that the air was cleaner,” Bill said. “It’s also very effective on diesel odors.” He added that the system’s draw is just 3/10th of an amp. “It’s in line with a 12-watt lightbulb,” he said. The In-Duct Breathe Easy Air Purifier also is billed as having silent operation, another plus for boat owners. dometic.com By Louisa Beckett Dometic’s Award-Winning Air Purifier Zaps Mold Spores. Clearing The Air The In-Duct Breathe Easy Air Purifier unit, topped by a UV light, above, is inserted into a vessel’s air-conditioning ducting, right. As Seen In Southern Boating Magazine
Joe R
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:54 PM

We installed two Breathe Easy Air Purifiers from Dometic on our 63’ Sport Fisher, named the Big Oh, in late January 2011. The smell of diesel down below was a major concern and we wanted to make the air healthier for the boat owner who has suffered from polyps in his nose for years. This condition has made breathing through the nose troublesome and has made sleeping through the night difficult. Within two weeks of installing the Breathe Easy Air Purifiers he was sleeping better and breathing through his nose much better. All odors have been removed. There is no diesel smell and the air is fresh and clean. We highly recommend Breathe Easy purifiers for addressing similar concerns and look forward to having better air quality on the boat. Capt. Ronnie Fields February 2011
Joe R
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:58 PM

Check out this websight for more info http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/Marine/Breathe-Easy-Air-Purifiers/products/?productdataid=94755 Beard Marine Palm Beach 561-881-9598 Beardmarine.com joer@beardmarine.com
Joe R
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:01 PM

There are also videos posted on you tube just type in Dometic breath easy
Henning
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 5:26 PM

We spent over a million dollars on the HVAC system of a Kingship Magellan to make it quit raining in the interior. We spent over another million cleaning up the mold.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 7:32 PM
Deckie here looking at advice on flushing the A/C raw water system, done allot of research so would the following be a good start. Going to use a phosphoric acid (destroys calcium ie: barnacles, muscle growth etc) based solution mixed at 4:1 water to acid solution, I want to use a drill pump attached to the raw water intake for the A/C unit and pump the solution through the circuit into a drum at the raw water exit to complete the circuit and continuously pump the solution through the system for a few minutes. Would that be correct? Any corrections suggestions appreciated...
Rusty Wrench
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 8:14 PM

In reply to vessels with humidity/mould problems. You must check all air handlers/individual fan coil units to make sure the chill water connections are correct. Inlet/supply at the BOTTOM of the coil with outlet/return from top of the coil. If the connections are reversed, the coil/fin assembly will operate in a 'wet' contition, not removing moisture effectively. Deckie looking for advice; you answered all your own questions, except circulate for two hours and perhaps use dilute muriatic acid.

Average 3.5 out of 5