Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Newbie to the site with ideas about going to sea
Reeferman
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 10:20 PM

Good day one and all. Been and had a look around and am impressed with some of the advise but none matches my situation.
I have been a part time commercial fisherman for a few years and have just completed all my certificates to hold a under 16.5 meter fishing vessel skippers ticket to go over 20 miles offshore. I have just found out the boat owner has sold the vessel from under my feet and I have nothing to go back to!!!!!! I understand that, according to MGM411(M+F) section 3.4 and 7, I can skipper a commercial vessel under 24 meters and 150GRT, but only up to 20 miles from shore having taken the ENG1 medical. I've got the medical no problem, even with shortsightedness. I am also a qualified refrigeration and airconditioning engineer, can weld and many other engineering tasks. I can also cook varied, if basic, meals. I really do not want to go back to a "normal" shore based job, nor return to another fishing boat, getting a bit long in the tooth for that at 47, and would ideally like to jump ship and motor off into the sunset as a skipper/engineer on a gentlemans yacht, visiting the hot game fishing spots of the world. Maybe a pipe dream but no harm in trying I say.
So I am asking from those in the know where do I start, what other qualifications do I need and how much could I realistically expect to earn doing said dream job?

Any suggestions welcome.

Average 0 out of 5