Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Canadian looking for an answer.
Mac
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:16 PM

I am currently in Ecuador after finishing my STCW and am going back to Fort Lauderdale in Mid-April to look for a job. I understand I will not be allowed to work on a USA flagged ship as I do not have a visa. I am wondering though to work on another flagged ship is there a way to get around paying taxes to Canada? I have heard about starting off shore bank accounts, and other people have just told me to deposit my income into my Canadian bank account. Is this possible or should I just suck it up and declare?

Thank you!

MatrixLloyd.com
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:43 PM

Hi Mac Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your inquiry. Assuming you're Canadian yourself, you need to seek advice from a suitably-qualified Canadian tax adviser, or get advice directly from the Canadian tax authorities. You may be able to find the answer to your question on their website. Seafarers are not normally liable to pay income tax (or other personal taxes) in their country of domicile, but you should not assume that this will automatically be so in your case. You also need to be aware of any local income tax liabilities which may arise in the country in whose waters you are working, especially if you are accommodated ashore. Good luck in Fort Lauderdale. Benjamin Maltby. matrixLloyd™
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 6:50 PM
Dude, do everything you can to get paid in cash or open an american bank account. But remember, sooner or later the damn Canadian gov't will try to get your money. A fellow Canadian who was in the yachting industry in Miami/Ft. lauderdale for more than 5 years.

Average 5 out of 5