Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
New Job
Ciemny
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:42 AM

Dear mates.... Why there is such a big problem to get the job on the bigger yachts?? I have 5 years expirence on the boat's 62 ft privat and charters and now 1 year as a 1mate on the yacht which is cruising around the world, and I cannot get a job on the bigger yachts, is there any gate?, I can add that I am yachtmaster 200 tons and have other documents STCW95 all 4 etc., where I need to be in april may to get a job and dockwalk in the marina is the only options?? Thanks for help Bartek
malok
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:22 AM

Hello, All depends for which position are you applying.. For Deckhand I guess that it will be no problem, for Officer position you may need bigger tickets as OOW unlimited or Chief Mate 3000 + experience.
junior
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:23 PM

Aw Jeez...the last thing you need is more dam paper tickets...youve already sailed around the world...thats more miles and experience than the vast majority of superyacht captains or crew can bluff on a resume. Best for you to realize that the yachting business is all about connections...not experience, not resumes. You must Work hard to establish good contacts. Crew agents and associated influence peddling barnacles clinging to the waterfront are a dead end contact for a guy like you. Yachty Jobs go thru them to buddies and its highly nationalistic. . You must concentrate on introducing yourself to first line , unpolluted , job introductions. These come from the shipyards, project managers and yacht brokers who have direct contact with the client. If top class contacts recomend a liscense upgrade...do it. Be assured that These important contacts always need a young guy to solve problems. Solving problems is what being a captain is all about. Crew Agents dont have problems to solve. What is a problem ? Owner just took delivery of a new boat...what to do with the old boat ? Easy...dispatch a young guy to keep things under control and in yacht condition, on a tight budget, untill it sells. Permanent captain on holiday for one month ? send a babysitter with a ticket to watch over. Performing these second class yacht crew jobs, deliveries and general bloody knuckle jobs for top class marine industry contacts allows you to rapidly prove your abilities as a reliable get it done captain with important industry contacts who will surely have first class jobs down the line. If you expect to make a career of yachts Now is the time to act..youre young...pick a top class broker, project manager , boatbuilder who handles the type of boats you want to work on, then sell your skills .
valter
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:38 PM

Well done Junior, I am with you. Bartek, been reading a lot of threads regarding your issue and I have been victim from the same system. Here I leave my thoughts. Crew agencies and dockwalking is one of the crew recruiting methods that somewhat gets on with a certain lifestyle. I respect that, at the end of the day this is an Industry and therefore different players come to the front and take their market share. Other ways to get on a boat, like Junior said, are shipyards, builders, brokers and probably delivery companies along with boat maintenance companies. Here you will find your way straight to the yacht owner and get introduced by the person he trusted to sell him a boat or the person who has kept his boat in pristine condition. It is a trust relationship and a close, very intimate network where everyone knows the other and for good professionals, recommendations come by. Your business card/CV might be in one of this key persons' desk drawer for months but will come the time and your phone rings offering you the chance for a great job. Get a way to meet with this guys, take every effort to meet or say hello often, attend boat shows to keep your face fresh in their memories, follow up and be patient. This is probably the slowest and more demanding method for job hunting, but believe me, it will bring you the best benefits in the medium-long term to your yachting career. I have a dozen friends who had followed this track and I can tell you they are by far in the best positions in the industry. As a job hunter, keep all your options open but no, crew agencies and dockwalking are not the only way to get into the industry. Good luck.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:11 PM
With all due respect clemny, as a 1stmate, i would not let you anywhere near a 50m+ if you havent got the experience on yachting as a deckhand, bosun, second off, etc... and have in account that there are a lot of keen, young, motivated, willing to learn and listen deckhands out there with YM's, its becoming the entry level for yachting, deck side. I want all of the above on my team and i also want deck scrubbing, polishing and washdown gurus, i will teach them everything i know about it because ive done it and know everything there is to it i will also teach them everything i know about navigation and they will slowly progress up the ranks get the tickets and learn how to be yacht officers and eventually become captains and correct me if im wrong but that is the way it generally works nowadays. You will have to start from scratch like all of us did walk the docks daywork learn how to be a deckhand on a larger yacht and work your way up. no easy way around it unfortunately. Unless you have a chief mates unlimited ticket and want to work on a 100+ yacht!!!
karlvahtra
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:08 AM

Hi sirs,
Tried to get also into industry almost 3-4 years now...quite hard especially via internet and if you should be from the Eastern EU...then it looks also a bit complicated. My permanent job is actually in mechant shipping but sailed since childhood on yachts so...looks like this is the thing what my soul require...
Today i have OOW unlimited ticket experience from fishingboat to PAX...but do not have a real  Med yachting exp...
It follows to the question...why this yachting EXP is so so important...for me it looks quite strange...because seagoing exp is seagoing exp...vessel hull maintanance is fixed by the different types of the systems and manufacturers etc...etiquette is etiquette...actually quite understandable why this yachting exp gives advantage...
but it seems more really like guys explained about that above...connections, work hard play hard...
Planning to go Antibes and actually this is also reason why i wrote over here...wanted to ask what is the Old fish opinion is it too early to go this week or next..?

Kind regards,

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:11 AM
The focus is not on sea-time, it is on 5 star service, Cigars and cognac, 1000 dollar bottles of wine. It is on a specialized nine tier paint application process and perfect varnish skills. It involves conversations with the richest most intelligent people on the planet. Not everyone can live up to these expectations. That is why it is so hard to break in. Yes I prefer to sail the Atlantic with commercial sailors and Ex Alaskan crab fishing engineers, but it doesn't happen that way. I grew up in a fishing village in Canada and not one of those amazing sailors fits the bill for a yacht. Sorry but you all ask and that is the truth. Most of you are too hard around the edges to survive this world of yachting. it is not about commercial tickets and schedules. i am on charter right now and had to fudge my entire crews hours of rest to comply, we are all working 18 hour days, and i honestly can say i have had one day off since Christmas. You people cant survive this. You have been spoiled and are too structured. I saw an ex commercial stew get fired once because she asked the chief stew if she can go to sleep because legislation gave her a rest, this was during a dinner service of Caviar and Lobster Bisque.....she left the next day without re-patriation.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:05 AM
Hey Junior, remember the days when we didnt need tickets ?
karlvahtra
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 2:49 AM

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:25 PM
Any Captains on here that would be willing to help out with a letter that i could take to the US embassy? NSA. Not a letter of employment, but maybe a letter saying that you were thinking of hiring me for a transatlantic trip and i would need a b1/b2 for this. I think a personal one with my passport number and name on it would be a lot stranger than the generic MIASF one. Worth a few beers or some free daywork when i get to the states surely email azreal85@hotmail.com if you can help me out. Thanks
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:12 PM
What a good way to start, ask a Captain to write a fraudulent letter to the American government, ummm, risk losing their own visa, and any future visas. Therefore you are asking them to risk their own future employment opportunities. All for a couple of beers, or free day-work that a billionaire owner should be able to well afford (doesnt come out of Captains pocket). Total lack of awareness of how this industry is regulated, the rules and LAWS that crew are required to follow, and the risks you are asking others to take for a "couple of beers"amazing.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:06 PM
He/She did say it was not a letter of employment so I personally do not see how this is fraud. I would be happy to send you over something that states that in order to be crew on this particular (non US) yacht you would indeed need a B-1/B-2 Visa as we are in US waters regularly. I will wait to see what the others say on the matter but i think you should be fine azreal85. Showing initiative and networking is how I made it in this industry.

Average 0 out of 5