Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Que pasa! Espagna and the charter license
arthur.j.s
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 11:02 PM

why is it so hard to charter in Spain? twice working at sea , i paid the 12% and now they seized for not having half  Spanish crew and not having a charter license.The bill,please : 56,000 euros!!  it´s ridiculous, what can i do ¡¡¡???

rodsteel
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 11:30 PM

Arthur,

Did you see this thread?

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?u=19100&g=posts&t=37584&m=34864

Rod

P.S. Arthur, I am curious, is your charter operation based out of a Spanish port or are you just visiting Spanish ports with a charter based out of a port in another EU country?

Henning
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:16 PM

Spain is doing the same thing the US does basically. Nothing you can do but follow the rules or go elsewhere. Unfortunately for both, most choose the "elsewhere" option. Very few "Yachts" available for charter in the US, mostly it's all dinner cruise "cattle" boats.

Capt Edward P
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:40 PM

Hi Arthur, do what Ryanair did in France recently. When energetically masturbated by the French for not having local staff on French local contracts, (similar to your problem as I read) our Michael said "bolls to thet" and took his planes off a brand new terminal especially constructed for him at huge cost, in the South of France. leaving it empty. Much unemployment, sucking of teeth, - but you know - he's right. The EEC Directive says you can employ people wherever you like, if the local administration don't accept it, then vote with your props. This sort of exodus happened in Greece many years ago when they put up mooring fees. If you and fellow Captains/owners all worked in collaboration, you could make a stand, and a difference, when they notice the drop in revenue. Sorry about the fine though, it really sucks. 56k EUR ----- WOW! Ed........... hideousfrance.com
junior
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:14 AM

Well Capt Ed....Its an insult to local society when you come into a country , use their infrastructure and public services and don't create employment for local workers. I cant imagine a Spanish flag yacht , steaming over to Ft Lauderdale , then running a charter business with a one hundred percent foreign crew. The Spanish system is not nearly as severe as the American system, The regulations are rather logical and straightforward. Play by the rules and you may charter.
Haya
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:20 PM

Very well said Junior...

MYVan
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 7:24 AM

Hello everybody ,
First of all :"Play with the rules and you may charter ", what i say is : play with he rules you may charter and you´ll have success with  no one trouble.
I work for a Spanish flagged vessel in Barcelona, charter license , Spanish flag, 30 metres ..all legal. Between May and September we are busy , complete , no one week free.  We have french guests , English , Spanish , Russian  and from other countries. The only think what people don´t want when they´re on holidays is to have problems with the justice, and if you charter in spain breaking ONE maritime law or tax, you´ll have (100%).
It is a great opportunity for Charter companies , to change to a Spanish flag  because they´re few >25 metres charter yachts .
Finally ,respect the rules ,respect the country, and respect other business and you ´ll succeed .If not, you will pay more taxes, they will fine you ,you´ll have no guests this summer and you will have problems with the justice,you will lose more than you will win. What do you prefer ?

JPDP
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:05 PM

It is not the end of taxes for Megayachts, because since 2003 tjhis possibility exists. I know a reg ister company in spain which has 3 megayacths in Palma (Ferretti and ISA) who use this Canary register to do charter without paying 12% taxes. Send a mail at aitamar@aitamar.com for details.

Average 5 out of 5