Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Mid April too late for Med???
madge
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:07 PM

Hi,

I am doing my STCW95 in March and will arrive in Antibies in mid april. Will this be too late?
I will be arriving with minimal money and am considering waiting for Ft L instead if its too late in the season.

I am from australia and have been told i only need a scechuan visa for the med??? is this correct???

Also, is the best time for Ft L Oct or earlier??

Thanks

The Crew Coach
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2011 8:35 PM

Hiya, Mid April is lateish, but it's not too late. A lot depends on your level of experience, age, appearance and transferable skills. If you have the right attitude, experience, look and qualifications you might not have too much trouble arriving at that time - it's one of the busiest times for crewing up in the Med for the European summer season. That said, you'll be competing with others who have been here for a few more weeks networking and building relationships with the crew agencies and local yachts. If you are a desirable candidate you will stand out from the crowd so you don't need to worry. Minimal money is not a good sign though - you really need to have enough to cover you for a month of job hunting - and a ticket out of here - otherwise you could find yourself taking a not so good job out of desperation. Regarding your visa, you will need a Schengen visa obtained before leaving Oz but be aware this is a tourist visa only. If you are unsuccessful in finding work in the Med, October is around the right time to head for FL, or earlier if you have the savings to get there early and build contacts. Good luck!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:05 PM
As far as I am aware Australians DO NOT need the SCHENGEN VISA. Is this a new law??
almaangell
Posted: Saturday, February 5, 2011 8:52 PM

Last Med season my friend and I arrived in Anitbes Mid July. At the time there was plenty of daywork and we both secured jobs within two weeks of arriving. So personally, I don't believe April is too late in the season others less 'green' then myself may be of a different opinion. However, we found that as it was the middle of the season many boats were having to do quick turn arounds for charters and requiring extra hands hence the abundance of daywork and that staff were turning over for various reasons so positions became available.

I would suggest registering with crew agents a couple of weeks prior to arriving and going in to meet with them as soon as you arrive, so they can put a face to the name....I cannot stress enough to make sure you look the part. 

Before arriving I did plenty of research into the industry and I recommend you do the same, you will find alot of info you will need to know either on this site or a varitey of other yacthing webpages.

Good Luck

Average 0 out of 5