Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Spanish Custom Agency
yachtie
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:35 AM
I´m a French chief Officer  working on a megayacht  in Palma and i have noticed that this year most of  yachts are trying to employ Spanish speaking marine officers to deal with Spanish Custom agency. If your yacht is  in  or planning a trip to Spain  and  specially to Palma , Spanish custom agency will pursue you to pay the income tax, 12 or 14 % of the value of your yacht . If you don ´t treat correctly with Spanish inspectors ,the mulct will be very high and your  yacht confiscated ( 50 yachts confiscated last year ! ).That ´s the reason why Captain and Owners needs now a Spanish speaking Officer to do the paperwork  .(Don.t try to deal in english with spanish authorities,it´ll be worst¡¡) moreover, they turn blind eye to your yacht if you have a spanish officer or Captain . The same thing is happening , but in a lower level in France and Italy.

What do you think about ?

junior
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:12 AM

If youre a bonafide yacht in transit then I find the Spanish Aduana easy and straight forward to deal with. If the non Eu citizen owned foreign flagged yacht is to be in the EU or Spain longer that the permitted time, its a simple procedure to protect the owner and put the yacht under customs supervision. You are not permitted to navigate while under Customs supervision. Agents and captains should know this. I am always under customs supervision when I enter the shipyard or am in Spain for maintenance. The procedure is easy and I need no agent to perofrm it. If you fail to notify customs they assume the vessel is being used for navigation and you will indeed be in trouble. If you have any questions speak to Ms Pat Bullock at the Network Group in Palma. She has been adviseing captains for decades and will know of any change in the laws. THE NETWORK GROUP: Tel: +34 971 403903/403703
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:08 PM
30 yachts have been seized by  "Aduanas", custom agency  last year. 

http://www.diariodemallorca.es/sucesos/2010/06/16/aduanas-inmoviliza-30-yates-lujo-mallorca-impago-impuestos/579315.html

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:51 PM
If you are chartering your yacht in Spain and you don´t have the Spanish Charter license or flag you will be prosecuted by the Spanish custom agency. " Aduanas" is one of the  hardest custom agency of the world and is not only at sea waiting for you but also in port. That´s why it´s very important to have all papers in order and at any moment(STCW compliant ,charter license  etc.). I´m a chief mate working for a Spanish charter yacht working in Puerto Portals and laws are changing . This year it will be very difficult for foreign yachts without license to charter in Balearic Islands .

junior
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:24 PM

Yes indeed , in Spain the port authorities are vigilant . Additionally, when a yacht re flags at considerable cost, the re flagged yachts owner , captain or charter agent will be the first to denounce irregular " guerilla "charters working their scene. I just had lunch with the owner, operator of a Spanish flagged charter yacht fleet. If you are operating a "Black" Charter boat in his turf... beware, he has his eyes open and knows the scene. . If you are operating privatley, under some convoluted company ownership structure , you will come under increased scrutiny as soon as you check into port. Have your paperwork in order. Once again...Ms Pat Bullock at Network Group is a good source for info.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:24 AM
Don´t try to come into Spanish waters with a charter boat without a spanish speaking crew member and moreover without a chartering license. "Aduanas" knows perfectly who´s doing charter in spanish waters: searching on the net , dockwalking, asking to the crew. Is one of the most efficient agency of Europe . Spain needs money (because of the economic depression) and they know how to get it. Spain loses every year 600 million euro for unpaid taxes.
For those who undertand a little spanish, a new from last week :

http://www.diariodemallorca.es/mallorca/2011/01/30/islas-caiman-yates-convierten-mallorca-capital-nautica-lujo/640873.html

PD: Do you know what happened to Asteria yacht ?

JPDP
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:17 PM

Canary island ship registry I know a reg ister company in spain which has 3 megayacths in Palma (Ferretti and ISA) who use this Canary register to do charter without paying 12% taxes. Send a mail at aitamar@aitamar.com for details.

Average 5 out of 5