Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
St Martin bridge hit again by giga yacht
Matt Paint
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:02 AM

Rumor has it another annoyingly large yacht hit the bridge in St Martin but I did not see the incident. I can however confirm a grey hulled CRN is getting some paint repaired on its port side hull and chunks of cement are missing from the bridge. Did anyone see the 80 plus meter yacht strike the bridge? Are boats hitting the bridge because the passage through this bridge is impossible for large yachts or are some Captains just lousy boat handlers?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:44 AM
Take note sir , they won't admit it but a good number of those captain have very bad eyesight i know one that has a plastic eye and you cannot tell , and another that lets his colorblind owner drive the thing! ... go figure
luc
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:21 PM

80 plus meter yacht from CRN?  mmmmm.... never seen.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:24 PM
This is the yacht ---http://www.superyachttimes.com/editorial/4/article/id/5500
Chief
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 2:21 PM

"...another annoyingly large yacht ..."

Since annoyance is a subjective, emotional and personal reaction to an act or object one has to ask why anyone would be personally affected by the size of a boat unless that person was being squashed between that boat and the bridge.

junior
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 4:08 PM

"Since annoyance is a subjective, emotional and personal reaction to an act or object one has to ask why anyone would be personally affected by the size of a boat unless that person was being squashed between that boat and the bridge." Holy Mackerel Chief, !!! were have you been all these years ? ...." ANNOYINGLY large yacht " ....is a perfectly natural waterfront workers description of those floating , diesel powered, shopping malls. Those mega beasts look like multi layered wedding cakes with night lights , are always staffed by dozens of dopey, drunk, crew who drive so many rent a cars that the whole quay becomes gridlocked and leave great mountains of garbage on the quay . Only the harbour Rats love them. When these beasts berth, the port authorities , for security .. either to protect the billionaires, the yacht or innocent pedestrians from the annoyingly large yachts crew.... barricade the floating shopping malls behind crime scene tape or glass partitions thus disrupting the natural flow along the waterfront. Annoyingly, Grotesque or pain in the ass...take your pick... . .
luc
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 6:17 PM

I am glad and proud to be the Captain of one of that "beasts", and it never happened to me anything of what you are describing here, and none of my crew members behave in that way.
Education is not matter of size.

Miss B Haven
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:39 AM

I think we got off the subject. Its about someone hitting the bridge. If anyone has navigated thru the SXM bridge you know its not a straight shot. Strong wind, current, hangovers and water balloons are all factors when negotiating the opening. However, we all know there are some real yahoo's out there driving. I got two words for that...Job Security.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:52 PM
The fact is that last year 32 boats hit the bridge, many 50m and under! Yesterday 3 boats hit the SXM bridge and one of them (approx 45m) is at anchor between Palapa and Isle de Sol doing repairs to the damage she endured yesterday while striking the bridge. Don't blame the BIG boats, lets not waste our time black mouthing Captains and yachts.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:00 PM

Matt Paint, love the pink top mate, make a good C.V photo!

For the idiot that designed the bridge and entrance to St Maarten marina, he needs to be shot. The channel is not in line with the bridge, or the other way round, it dog legs to the left as you enter and is way too narrow for even 40m yachts let alone the so called "annoyingly large yachts".

Yes alcohol, lack of experience and judgement do play a factor in the channel, coupled with speed, wind, current, swell, all the above. I have been through there several times and taken it slowly with all hands on deck holding fenders just in case, never had a problem. I might have arrived a little later, but spent no money or time on repairs!!

[removed by moderator]

Capt Kaj

Ianstuart
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 7:07 PM

In All at Sea this month there is a photo of the largest ship ever to come into Simpson Bay. Her cargo: a brand new bigger bridge!
PresentationWI
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:23 AM

Video of this accident. 

http://youtu.be/P8-ZsXVX1VU

Zenith
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:50 AM

Gigayacht? It's only a baby at 72m.... Double the size and that's a gigayacht.

Lots of resentment towards the larger boats, they exist for a different reason and employ yacht crew whilst providing additional work to agents, chandlers, marinas etc.

Cizealin
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:20 PM

Accident? A completely normal and very well executed run through the bridge. Hard to get fenders everywhere, as can be seen, and that's what the rubbing strake is there for!

Average 4 out of 5