Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
New Stewardess - What to wear for dockwalking/interviews?
Charross
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:53 PM

Hi, I m heading to Antibes for the season and was wondering what is best to wear for dockwalking/interviews? I am new to industry so all advice welcomed Charlotte
rodsteel
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:43 PM

Charlotte,

Did you see this recent article on Dockwalk?

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/HotTopics.aspx?id=37166

This is also a related article

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=posts&t=30864

Consensus is "clean and pressed yachting shorts and polo shirt".

Rod

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:30 PM
Dear Charlotte, I'm afraid I don't agree with Rod's reply. I'm a Chief Stew with ten years experience in this. According to my own experience, you need to stand out from the numerous dockwalkers who are out there looking for the same job. I'd wear a pretty and colourful outfit which reflects your personality. As long as you don't wear short hemlines or show cleavage, I think a beautiful dress, a nice skirt and top or a nice coat if in winter might help you get the attention you are looking for. I like girls who wear a little makeup and their hair done. I'll have a quick look at their hands and things like that to see if they have an eye for detail. A relaxed smile is also quite important. I've got compliments from agents who remember me because of my clothing, because it shows my personality. Of course, if in doubt of your outfit, follow Rod's advice who I'm sure has got tons of experience. Good luck!
rodsteel
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:10 PM

Anonymous wrote:
...who I'm sure has got tons of experience...

Ouch!  - now if you want to learn how to dance, that's true -

G
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:28 PM

The point is dress sharp and clean cut...BUT, be sure to take some grubbies with you in case they want you cleaning engine rooms, bilges etc.
chrismlewis
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:41 AM

I remember when we were new to yachting we made a point if dressing in yachtie type clothes ie polo shirt and shorts. You can't fool all of the people all off the time, but better to try and look like you belong... & there is a fine line between looking your best and the Ch Stew or Captain wondering if you will be prepared to get your hands dirty.
The Crew Coach
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:09 AM

Hi Charlotte, I agree with both the posts so far - the most important thing is to look neat and professional, but you also need to look attractive. Wearing smart 'uniform like' clothing such as a tailored white shirt and beige capri pants, or something similar gives a great impression that you are an industry professional. Wear your hair the way you would if you were stewardessing - neat and tied up if it's long, but still pretty. Make up should be natural and not overdone. You want to show people what you would look like working and serving the guests. I also agree hands and nails are very important. Nails shouldn't be too long, as you can't actually stewardess with long nails so that makes you look too precious. They should be a practical length and have either clear polish or a French manicure. Similarly you need to pay attention to your feet and footwear. It's best to wear deck shoes, pumps or nice sandals. Flip flops are too casual. You might be invited on board for an interview in which case you would take your shoes off, so make sure your toenails look neat and tidy as well - no wacky coloured varnish! Again French polish is the industry standard. Definitely bring a change of clothes to daywork in so you don't get your good clothes grubby. Keep earrings, rings and other jewellery to a minimum and your most important accessory is definitely - your smile! Good luck :-D
Capt Kaj
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:04 AM

Hi Charlotte,

All pretty good advice so far. I am tempted to advise you to go more feminine, if a chief stew or captain can´t imagine you in a yachtie uniform, then they shouldn´t be in the business. I do see more crew though on the docks with the yachtie looking clothes than previously. I HATE flip flops or jandles, SOOOO many crew walking the docks have them, bin them at all costs and NEVER wear them to an interview!

Ditch all piercings, racy earings (but have a nice pair of rings in), coloured toe nails, toe rings, anklets, the 20 bangles, outrageous necklaces and don´t overload the makeup, just highlight levels only. Envisage going for an interview at the Carlton in Cannes or any other 5 star hotel because that is what you are doing effectively.

Cover any visable tatoos, but you may be asked if you have any that might be visable in the yachts crew uniform, quite an important point depending on what role you are employed in onboard.

I disagree with taking clothes to work in when dockwalking, it means you have to carry a back pack, that doesn´t fit with the thing you are doing, wanting to impress the prospective employers. If they want you that bad, they will have clothes you can slip into from the yacht, or you pop back to the apartment and get them. But do carry a nice folder with plenty of C.V´s with at least the photo of you in colour. Keep the CV short, informative and to the point, not 4 pages long and not with 20 lines taken up with your mission statement (I hate these by the way). The photo I see of you in your post seems to perfect for your CV!

Good luck.

Capt Kaj

heevahova
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:10 PM

Clean boat shoes and no socks, don't forget to kick them off at the Shoe box, learn how to take them off fast and on without bending over. No perfume or just a touch, no jewelry, impeccable manicure. Have another copy of your cv and hand it to him/her after shaking there hand. I prefer a button down white shirt to a polo. Don't wear jeans or shorts, kaki or blue trousers are best, Never sportiff's never ever,,, Good luck,,,
junior
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:53 PM

If you endeavor to be a Gin Palace Janitor, then by all means walk the docks dressed like every other seasonal , Wide Eyed Deer in the Headlights , blow'in crew. Insecure yachts thrive on these cookie cutter, vacume cleaner zombies. Insecure crew have no choice but to hide, wide eyed, behind a gator polo shirt. For additional advice on becoming a crew clone , speak to one of these new age Crew Coach Crustaceans clinging to the superyacht marinas. If your looking for something different...BE DIFFERENT .....SPEAK CLEARLY,.......... BE YOURSELF....and PRESENT A CLEAR RESUME with a LOCAL PHONE NUMBER. Visit your local IBNA contact for advice on waterfront conditions . As far as shoes, the IBNA is exposing several new fashions for girls that allow them to stand out from Blow'in Zombies clenching STCW95's, pacing the docks looking for salvation. . http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8492/ibnaallterrain.jpg http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1894/ibnadeck.jpg http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4312/ibnawellies.jpg
Malcy
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:40 PM

Check out my article DOCKWALKING Antibes Style on the front page of www.blueoceanyachting.com.

Enjoy.

Best wishes

Malcy

Laure
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:27 PM

Hi Charross !!!

I am not an expert, but i think the most important (like for all your last interviews) is that you have to feel comfortable and feel "yourself" in nice, clean clothes !
Personally, I will not dockwalking with croc polo, khaki short and expensive shoes, because it will be a new "outfit" for me with which i am not use to wear (yet). (for newbies)
I think wearing your "own" clothes tells a lot about your personnality and you will feel more comfy, so more confident !
Choose classic and feminine clothes. Feel good and beautiful ! (Sorry guys, but it is important for women to feel beautiful)

See you soon in Antibes !

Charross
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:50 PM

Thank you for all your advice... however mixed it is I think the safest option would be pumps, tailored shorts and a colourful feminine top! Any excuse to go shopping
Johnny
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:27 PM

Hi all, What is better for a guy trousers or a short? Some say it is better to kindly ask for the Chief Officer others say the crew hates it and they are the first to know if they are looking for someone. I feel quite bad to ask for the Chief Officer and ofc the last thing I want is to annoy the crew. What is the best thing to do ? Another thing is a small backpack, is it a big nono? Let`s say I am staying in Antibes and dockwalking early morning in Cannes dressed in nice polo shirt, etc. and I have a chance for some daywork shouldn`t I have some clothes to change to? Something else, I read an article about speaking with positive words for e.g.: using the word "trust" instead of "think". How is this in yachting when one asking for work? Thanks for your time
junior
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:57 PM

Well, I had to hot water blast the ice off the deck this morning....youre gona look like a tourist if you walk the docks in shorts. I suggest longs and wool cap. Avoid flip flops when wearing a wool cap unless you want to do the Rasta look.
Johnny
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:49 PM

Forgot to mention I`m only arriving in end of March ^^
Henning
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:46 PM

I would expect a birthday suit would serve you well...LOL.

If you are dockwalking, dress ready to go to work, (bring a tube of Flitz and a couple microfiber rags if the rent is due as you'll find someone who needs some stainless or brass polished) if you are arriving for an interview, arrive as you would if the yacht was in service that day (minus the correct uniform).

Neat and low on odor, this is not just personal body odor, but perfumes and colognes as well as they disturb some people. Be neatly dressed in costume norm for the industry, have it all pressed and wear your polished non scuff sole shoes. Make up should be light, the guests on the boat are the 'Stars', you just need to be presentable in those regards.

Don't worry, unless you are a complete incompetent and a bitch to boot, you'll have little trouble finding a berth on a yacht. If you are incompetent and a bitch, at least you're good looking enough to still get work as eye candy, cocktail hauler, & sammich maker on Boy's Toy yacht; which many of them are.

Henning
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:00 PM

Johnny wrote:
Hi all, What is better for a guy trousers or a short? Some say it is better to kindly ask for the Chief Officer others say the crew hates it and they are the first to know if they are looking for someone. I feel quite bad to ask for the Chief Officer and ofc the last thing I want is to annoy the crew. What is the best thing to do ? Another thing is a small backpack, is it a big nono? Let`s say I am staying in Antibes and dockwalking early morning in Cannes dressed in nice polo shirt, etc. and I have a chance for some daywork shouldn`t I have some clothes to change to? Something else, I read an article about speaking with positive words for e.g.: using the word "trust" instead of "think". How is this in yachting when one asking for work? Thanks for your time

Trousers or shorts is a "depends" situation, for dockwalking wear what's seasonable. For interviews, if you aren't familiar enough with the boat and crew to make the call, default to trousers.

As for bringing grubbies on a dockwalking day ehh, either way. Most of the jobs on a yacht aren't that 'grubbie' to begin with. Typically there are always a couple pair of coveralls or some Tyvek 'sperm suits' on the boat that I will give day workers to wear on real grubbie jobs if I put them into it on day one.

If you don't ask for chief officer, chief stew, chief engineer, or captain, how will you ever find work dockwalking? The deckhand can't hire you, you need to talk to the people who have the authority to pick you up, simple as that. Be ready for rejection and attitude, you'll get plenty of it, just keep at it.

Stewardessbible
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:43 AM

Hi Charlotte My advice to you is to establish why you are walking the docks in the first place: A) Are you looking for a full time contract? B) Are you looking for day work? C) Are you looking for both? There is some good advice posted here, and the best piece of advice that I could add is to dress smart casual (for the relevant weather conditions) that expresses your personality... Forget the shorts and polos??? (unless you want to be a day worker) ..... I think you will be in uniform soon enough. Remember presentation is key here, so do your hair and make up... but do not look cheap! The Chief Stew will notice all of these details in a blink of an eye (remember that's her job). In addition to your presentation she will be summing up your personality to see if you would be a good fit on board. Have a relaxed yet confident attitude; have a nice friendly smile and ask to speak to the Chief Stew, Chief Officer or Captain You will meet some really nice people dock walking and I hope you enjoy your new adventure
Seasonjunkie
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:52 AM

Hey all, I've just been writing an article on finding yacht jobs for seasonaires (http://seasonjunkie.com/guide-to-summer-boat-work/) and this thread has proved really useful. Thanks. Please feel free to read the article and add anything extra if you can think of it.
Alexia
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:47 PM

And what is the best for shoes really ? Something confortable and clean at the same time I guess, but are boat shoes a must ? Coming soon down to Antibes, so impatient !!
Capt. Craig
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:39 AM

Season junky - That's a really good article!

Average 4 out of 5