Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Advices for new deckie ?
Laure
Posted: Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:23 AM

Hi !

I will be in Antibes next summer to work on yacht as deckhand.
I don't have lot of experience, and because I read on some yachting forum that some mate or deck officer were fed up working with newbies who even did not understand how to "wash down", i would like to know some of the "deckie's vocabulary" !
Wash down is taking the water hose and wash all the deck ? (windows and walls too)
What are the best ways to : polish, vernish, and wax on a boat ?
Every boats have their own cleaning products ?
What are the most popular cleaning products ?

Thanks in advance for your replies !

Laure

valter
Posted: Thursday, January 6, 2011 11:11 AM

Hi Laure and welcome. I am sure you will get that vocabulary on the very first day you start working. Wash down means exactly that, washing down the exterior of a yacht, usually using yacht soap. Includes windows and .... top sides & hull. I would say that a good starting point for you would be to browse the net or buy a book regarding yacht seamanship, in order to acquire quickly the vocabulary, knots, etc.. Regarding polish, varnish and wax techniques, again internet (youtube) comes to my mind and also some boat maintenance books will provide good info. Most of Captains, Mates or Bosuns have their own preferred techniques and products to use in a specific yacht. Must remind you that the maintenance techniques will depend on the finishing materials and paint used on a boat. Browse by 'yacht chandlery' or 'superyacht supplies' and you will come through a vast range of cleaning products. Then you can visit brands' websites and some of them have online tutorials for some specific techniques. If you get some time free, browse through dockwalk previous posts on newbies advice and other discussions and you will get a good idea about deckhands' general tasks and duties, also good advice on techniques to perform some of those tasks. Hope this helps, you can do all this 'homework' beforehand. Good luck and perhaaps I'll see you this Summer somewhere in the Med. Valter
junior
Posted: Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:14 PM

And Laure...Dont become confused with "Professional " talk or techniques. Yachting is the least professional industry you will ever experience. In yachting skills mean nothing. Personal appearance and " livability" are everything. This is important for guys and CRITICAL for girls. Concentrate on your personal appearance, then project a... "she's a nice person to live with in a small box for the next six months" image. Generally during the Med spring, everyone who looks good and is happy finds a job.
Laure
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 4:56 AM

Thanks Valter and Junior for your replies !
I will learn by myself first with some books
Junior, I have a friend who did the Med season last year, she told me there are LOTS of young and very cute girls who are dockwalking with mini skirt, etc... And the advice she gave to me was to dockwalk with tidy clothes and a bit of sexy !!! In another hand somebody told me to dockwalk with yachtie atire : white polo and  khaki skirt/short because the captain would like to see how i look like in a uniform...
And yeah, girls always do the maximum to get a job.....

junior
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 9:10 AM

Many different boats. In the West Med the big seasonal demand is to service the charter fleet. You need zero maritime knowledge to work a charterboat...only personal appearance. Charter yachts base their rates on crew per guest ratio. More crew the better the boat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The whole industry is a joke. I can introduce you to succesful charter boats who recruit thier entire female summer staff from modeling agencies. I meet very few professionally crewed charter boats. When you step back from the charter boats...the yachting worlds cannon fodder...qualifications, ability and personality matter more . Private yachts operate differently...less is best. They always look for multi talented crew who can interact day to day, year after year, with the owner and same guests who will assuredly return again next year for a cruise. . Appearance becomes a small issue...attitude, ability, personality, temperament are everything. You would be wise to become a Dr Jekle Mr Hyde type and adjust your appearance to each job interview....a deckhand with eye makeup and painted fingernails is only suitable for a charter yacht. For Charterboats go heavy on makeup and hairdoo's, then wear whatever goofy uniform is flavour of the day and speak very little. For Private yachts... dress in standard yachting gear...shorts tee shirts whatever the season, then speak clearly , directly and have bright eyes. You mentioned deckhand..to be a deckhand you must be able to drive the tenders. The tender is the deckhands responsibility...be sure you have your small craft license. Deckhands are also expected to be physical . Sweat and grunt work...best if you have the appropriate bulk . Virtually the only reason you would hire a female deckhand is if she can do double duty as a deck crew and customer service crew, stewardess. . Always stress your customer service ability. Communication skills are very important when working on deck. You must be able to listen to an order, a manover sequence, a question...then responsed, communicate with very very few words.
Laure
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 3:53 PM

For me it doesn't make sense that on charter boats, the more important is the appearence !!!
It is terrible ! What about safety on boat ? What about the safety of the guests ? I know i am a newbie, i don't really know the industry but for me, it is crazy to hire people just because they look good ! So what's happen if something wrong occur onboard? All the female deckie/stew don't want to help because they are affraid to break one of their painted fingernails ??? 
Anyway I am not this kind of girls, I am not 20 year old anymore and I am not here just to make money but to begin a serious and nice professional carreer !
Maybe i have to focused my job hunting on private and sailing boats !
I will see, but i am really motivated, can't wait to be in Antibes, dockwalking the beautiful marina !
Are you Captain on a boat Junior ?

bjstetson
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 4:57 PM

WOW junior is a little upset today. Not all boats are the way he says they are. Do your classes ( stcw, yachtmaster, or atleast a tender driving course) Please don't let people deter you from this industry, it is as good as you make it. Hang out with the right people (not the major party people) and you will find the right boat. GOOD LUCK

junior
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 7:03 PM

Yes...for 35 years. As a beginner you will inevitably have to take any job you can get, and it will probably be charter. . Once on the inside ,refine your next job search and zero in on family owned ,private yachts. They are the gold standard. Sail or power makes no difference. I can name a dozen captains and crew who have worked for the same family on private yachts for more than ten years. At present there are 9 yachts on my wintering quay. Only two yachts ..the two private yachts, have full crew....the other 7 yachts are charter yachts with loose canvas blowing in the wind, blown out flags, windscreens covered in seagull poop, rust bleeding down topsides, tenders full of rainwater, alarms sounding every week because they have dismissed their crew and will pickup seasonal cannon fodder for summer charter operations. The 30 meter charter motoryacht on my port side is locked to the dock, without electricity and under police supervision due to unpaid bills. Since her ship systems are without electricity ,the passerelle wont deploy so the port police must climb over my boat to board the charter tub. None of her crew were paid their last two months salary. Its typical charter yacht who had a poor charter season last year. The big spring hiring surge will be on these charter yachts. Working on flaky charter boats is part of the learning experience for greenhorns. . Private yachts seldom hire because they seldom fire.
Laure
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 8:44 AM

Now I understand the difference between charter and private boats.
As you said Junior, for my first job I won't be picky of course !
And I think your carreer (and your life) is what you do !
Do what you like and make the good choices. We all have our life between our hands. YOU are building your life !
I am very motivated, and i will get a good job on a nice boat !

Average 5 out of 5