Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Red Sea port ghaib Marina
david
Posted: Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:42 AM

hi all , would you please advise as am going to port ghalib in marsa alam in red sea , am going to cross suez canal do i need agent? do you recommend one for me? after suez canal am going to stay almost month in red sea port ghalib then i need to visit some islands near hurghada , do i need authorization from authorities ? thanks for reply david
SUPERYACHTS
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 5:33 PM

Hi David, I cruised from Port Ghalib aboard MY Hana, a CRN 43m just before Christmas. I'm sure you will need an agent to go through the canal and you certainly need local knowledge of the area, which is a great place to cruise. I suggest that you contact Hana's captain who will be able to brief you very fully. His contacts are: Christoph Schaefer Captain MY Hana captain@myhana.com GSM Egypt +20 128 25 33 85 GSM Jordan +962 777 472 479 Kind regards, Roger Lean-Vercoe (leanvercoe@aol.com)
Matt
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 5:42 PM

Hi David, It has been a long time since I last took the Suez Canal but the agent I used was terrific. I think his name was Nagib Latif and the company was Felix Maritime. If he is still in business I would highly recommend him! Matt
sformal
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 5:49 PM

Almost each year for the last 5 years I crossed the Suez Canal. I am always wintering around Hurghada, El Gouna, Sharm El Sheikh and Aqaba. If to cross the Suez Canal, you will definitely need an agent, you will also need their service during your stay in the Red Sea, at least for Egypt or it will be a nightmare. Personally, I prefer Felix Agency to cross the canal and then use Fantasia for cruising Egypt in the Red Sea. This being said, I have my own requests with Felix and am one of the few captains who appreciate the crossing, as my crew... You can contact me for details through facebook (Stephane Formal) don't want spam later *smile
chrismlewis
Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 5:49 PM

I was not on board at the time, but we also used Felix Agency and I understand that they were very good.
Franco
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 1:12 AM

Cheers David, I've crossed Suez Canal in 2006 and 2008. I completly agree with the other answers given, Felix Agent in Port Said is the right support you need. Nagib Latif and his brother Moxn Latif (+20105128774/106327799) will assist you in all the formalities. I had all my papers done in 4 hours! I didn't have good feedback about Fantasia agent in Hurgada, I would still prefer Felix for all the formalities, they have a good reference even in Suez. Even Capt. Sherif Fawzy of Port Galib wil be really helpful (sheriffaw@gmail.com), he can even contact Felix's office for you saving time for your crossing. Give him my best wishes! If you need a good marina close to Hurgada you can even stop in El Gouna where Peter Philips, the harbour manager will be happy to find you a good berth. Hurgada has a good marina as well, with all the facilities for provisioning. May your wind be fair and your skies clear! Franco (franco_guardi@yahoo.com)
Nicolaas
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 2:28 AM

We went through a 2 months ago, something you don't want to do too often, probably never again if you can. You do need an agent to help with all the formalities (measurements, pilots, convoy etc), ours also stayed on board during the passage. Make sure you take loads of Marlboro (not another brand) cigarettes with you, and I don't mean packs or cartons, but full boxes. You'll be giving cartons away to every begging Egyptian that you are involved with - pilot boats (don't get fooled when they drop it overboard to give an new one, they can go and pick it up) , pilots, officials and not to forget the line handling gypsies. T-shirts or caps are also recommended. Pack away anything shiny on deck that can be taken off easily or they will, and post a watch to keep an eye on the gypsies and accompany them to the toilet if it is inside. Have fun in the Suez AKA Marlboro AKA Sewage Canal!
david
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 9:19 AM

Thank you very much for the information was so helpful appreciated . rgds
mike
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 9:54 AM

Hi David , Personally i will strongly recommend Meesa Egypt they have very good feed back , contact Capt .Yasser Gamal , info@meesaegypt.com www.meesayachts.com They are also have group at facebook meesa yachts egypt . Hope this will help .
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 8, 2011 10:28 AM
Felix maritime is good for the Suez , for the Hurgarda & El Gouna area use Redar from Redamar +20 (0)140600000, Port Galib handles all the formalities in house and an agent is not required.keep away from Sharn el Sheikh as they tend to make things difficult for cruising around that area and if the weather gets foul there is nowhere to go.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:30 AM

david
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:53 AM

Finally at Egypt Red Sea , Thanks for every one for your advises , Meesa Egypt was really very professional suez Canal agent , the management staff of Meesa Egypt is EX Captains which makes me so comfortable at least you are talking with the right people . thanks Meesa and thanks every body for your advises and i recommend for every Captain intend to transit suez canal to contact Meesa Egypt email : info@meesaegypt.com www.meesayachts.com thanks alot captain david

Average 0 out of 5