Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Flotilla & instructing to SUPER yacht
Highjinx
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:59 AM

Hi y'all,

I'm a 27yr old Brit with YM Offshore 200gt offshore, two seasons as a flotilla skipper, 6 years as a dinghy sailing instructor and weekend crew as foredeck on a Young 8.4.

The bad news is that I currently work in an office in Hong Kong, which I have ended up in by mistake. I want to move into the superyacht world but am worried about the possibility of not being able to find a paying job with any length to it. I want to work my way up through the industry to Captain and get as many tickets as I need, whilst saving money to send back home to my family who need it.

How do you guys see the market for people experienced in other fields? Is it worth me giving up a relatively cushy job here and getting stuck in at the bottom on the dock in April? What is the latest time I should be arriving in Palma, for example, to find work for the season?

More importantly, where might I be in 10 years and what might I be earning?

Thanks for all helpful replies, and all the cynics I've seen replies from can just naff off!

junior
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:05 AM

Yah sure...you flotilla guys are the most streetwise captains around. Flotilla sailing is a powerful learning experience. You already have double or triple the geographic exposure of the average coke snorting, mr ten percent in sunglasses, super yacht captain. Id say you will receive a positive response. Your mission is to breakthrough the "superyacht captains Bog". When They see you coming they will be scrambling to erect all kinds of barriers, like the solid silver PYA anti vampire cross , to keep you in your place. . For your first season zero in on the 20 to 25 meter Western Mediterranean charter boats. Should be heaps of opportunity. Approach the charter and yacht management companies directly. Avoid crew agents, they re all good ole boys looking after their good ole shipmates. After a season or two doing battle on the West Med frontlines you will know the dance and be able to double eye poke, then turf the well fed super yacht guys wearing alligator skin deck shoes, into foul anchorage ground . Trust me...this is a non competitive industry...easy to break in and sideline the establishment. ...just keep a good attitude and do it.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:34 PM
Junior your responses always leave me in stitches. Friggin hilarious.

Average 4.5 out of 5