Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The world’s largest superyacht sets sail
Janine
Posted: Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:02 PM

Malcom MacLean reports on Boatinternational.com “After five years of intensive design, development and construction at Germany’s Blohm + Voss, the 162.5m motor yacht Eclipse finally left the yard today for Scandinavia, taking her place as the largest superyacht in the world. Sea trials took place in May 2010 but there were months of delays subsequently.

She features dramatic styling and a stunning interior by London-based Terence Disdale Design. Her accommodation includes a 56m owner’s deck and facilities for up to 92 crew and staff. Her interior boasts many all-custom features, while her deck areas feature a 16m swimming pool, the largest on any yacht, which can also be converted into a dance floor. Eclipse has heli-pads for three helicopters.

Eclipse now leaves the New Projects section in The Register and becomes Number One in our list of the world’s Top 100 Yachts.”

http://www.boatinternational.com/superyachtmarketintelligence/2010/12/09/superyacht-eclipse-finally-leaves-blohm-voss/

Constitution
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:28 AM

I'm surprised no American yacht owner has owned a megayacht by the name of "Constitution". I think it's such a shame. We see yachts all the time that seem to specifically exude this so called "regal" status. Why not a yacht that exemplifies the spirit of free will and diplomacy of a great country like the US? Constitution would be the most awesome name for it.
howards
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 7:55 AM

the naming suggestion of Constitution is well appreciated by this American Loyalist. However it could mean something else. Have you not heard "Please excuse me I have to take a Constitution"
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 5:29 PM
Why ??? I see no reason for this yacht unless its US flagged and I am working on it....
rodsteel
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 6:13 PM

Constitution wrote:
I'm surprised no American yacht owner has owned a megayacht by the name of "Constitution". I think it's such a shame. We see yachts all the time that seem to specifically exude this so called "regal" status. Why not a yacht that exemplifies the spirit of free will and diplomacy of a great country like the US? Constitution would be the most awesome name for it.

Is someone forgetting their US history lessons?

The name is already taken

http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/

Rod

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 9:48 PM
Where's the sail?
Capt Kaj
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:54 PM

I sincerely hope all the crew will enjoy their berth permanantly at anchor and that the owner enjoys his "mine is bigger than yours" status until he is unseated as soon as another multi billionaire puts up the money for yet another waste of space. Once he also realises that he is a really small fart in a rather huge bottle and needs a GPS to find his cabin onboard and hates the idea of tendering into port everytime in a 35m tender in rough weather. Great for shipyards, marine chandlers and crew agencies and maybe great for the ever changing daily basis of 92 or so crew, but I´d much rather see six 50 to 70m motor yachts. I certainly hope the new owner goes places and uses the yacht for the size, the range and stated facilities that it has. Somehow the yacht doesn´t fit into my perception of the yachting industry. And as far as the name Constitution is concerned, yawn yawn.....maybe motor yacht George Bush III would be a better suggestion, or Obama II.

Capt Kaj

gatmow
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 4:31 PM

Needs a bigger ensign....
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:24 PM
Whilst ordinary Russians have experienced, on average, a 75 percent plunge in living standards since 1991, it is always disturbing to see the abundant wealth of those that made out like bandits after the breakdown of the Soviet Union. Enjoy the cruise ship terminal souvenirs comrade!!

Average 0 out of 5